Magnetic Fields thread

treygar

all i ask of you...
anyone here amored with the Magnetic Fields?

when I recommend albums, after everything in the Morrissey and Smiths catalogue of course, it is 69 Love Songs I put in my top list.

My brother, infinitely hipper than me, sent me this in 1999 or so, claiming that it was the greatest thing he'd heard in years. I tried to like it; I listened to all 3 discs back-to-back pretty much non-stop for a week. But I just couldn't get into it. There are some real gems, but most of it sounds unbearably pretentious. Zappa could get away with pretention; Merritt can't. I've whittled down the tracks that I like to about a single disc's worth of material, and listen to it only occasionally. I never tried any other Merritt projects, although I've picked up a few scattered songs on various artists' compilations.

(I sent him Elvis Costello's 2 1/2 Years box set in return. I think that he got the better deal.)

i've got a the 'i' and 6th lp thingie that he did with various singers, thats pretty good

I first saw Magnetic Fields open up for The Tindersticks in '95; I've been a fan ever since. Seen them 5 times. They did the entire 69 Love Songs in order over 2 nights in '99. Get "6 Rows Of Teeth" and "The Long Goodbye" V/A comps for Stephin and Susan Anway doing "Plant White Roses"; it's one of his best compositions. His interpretation of "Heroes" by Bowie is amazing. It's on the "Crash Course For The Ravers" compilation. Lastly, "O! What A Dream It Was" on the "Welcome To The Dollhouse" is also very very good.

Neil Hannon of Divine Comedy is a big Magnetic Fields fan, and he's covered a number of their songs; "Famous", "With Whom To Dance", "The Dead Only Quickly" and "Love Is Lighter Than Air".

Beau, thanks for the info.

Yes I got into Merritt about 6-7 years ago and I'm still astounded by 69 Love Songs in particular, best multi-disc product ever released in my opinion.

Different songs hit different ways, and I love his use of humor, for instance on 'Yeah, oh Yeah!' as it is about a sad woman pleading to her husband and he just affirms all her fears, eventually he kills her, and his only response at the end is Yeah, oh Yeah!

But for me the track that is just beautiful beyond compare is 'I Don't Want to Get Over You' - here are the lyrics

I don't want to get over you
I guess I could take a sleeping pill
And sleep at will
And not have to go through what I go through
I guess I should take Prozac, right
And just smile all night
At somebody new
Somebody not too bright but sweet and kind
Who would try to get you off my mind
I could leave this agony behind
Which is just what I'd do
If I wanted to
But I don't want to get over you

I don't want to get over love
I could listen to my therapist
Pretend you don't exist
And not have to dream of what I dream of
I could listen to all my friends
And go out again
And pretend its enough
Or I could make a career of being blue
I could dress in black and read Camus
Smoke clove cigarettes and drink vermouth
Like I was 17
That would be a scream
But I don't want to get over you.

That's a great song. My introduction, and still my favorite, is "The Desperate Things You Make Me Do." How's this for lyrics:

"Time provides the rope
But love will tie the slipknot
And I will be the chair you kick away
You don't even like anything you like
Or the people you know
And all of your reasons to stay alive died
(C): I dedicate this song to you
For all the desperate things you made me do
I'd like to beat you black and blue
For all the agony you have put me through
Front seat stained with love
A back full of bibles
Purloined from the drawers of lost motels
They say when you're older you'll understand
You know it's a lie
'cause you've got a twisted and mangled heart
(C)
Down Route 66
You pilfered love and green stamps
W.C. Fields with Mae West in your eyes
They say every clock's a blunt instrument
Crushing the skull
But you've got a vice to rest your head in
(C)

He has Morrissey's wit and humor; he just lacks the vocal range. He does however; produce and play on nearly all his albums. He is very gifted. I'd love to hear The Magnetic Fields write some music for Morrissey. Their style is so diverse: from '80s synth pop to straight acoustic guitar. Which is why I would add if you have only heard one album and did not like it, try another. They are all very unique.

-Vaux

LOVE THEM

Especially 69 Love Songs - an absolute classic. Some of my favorites are: All My Little Words, Reno Dakota, When My Boy Walks Down the Street, The Death of Ferdinand de Saussure....too many more to name!

I also like Future Bible Heroes and "Lindy-Lou (w/ Miho Hatori)" from the Hyacinths and Thistles project.

Wonderful melodies and brilliant lyrics (on the same level as Morrissey and I rarely, if ever, think that). Funny, droll, romantic and dramatic.....

So yeah, thumbs up!

Ah, yes I Don't Want to Get Over You is exquisite to me!

Born On a Train was the first song I heard after a friend recommended the band to me and I listened to it over and over and over and I cried, the lyrics and the song was so fitting to me at that moment in my life. Naturally, I went out and got all the albums and love them all.

On the new album, Distortion, "Too Drunk to Dream" is great.

Some other favorites:
Smoke and mirrors
the village in the morning
with whom to dance
deep sea diving suit
i thought you were my boyfriend
when you were my baby
100000 fireflies
when my boy walks down the street
love is like jazz
reno dakota
a pretty girl is like
meaningless
love is like a bottle of gin

Last edited:
Beau, thanks for the info.

But for me the track that is just beautiful beyond compare is 'I Don't Want to Get Over You' - here are the lyrics

I don't want to get over you
I guess I could take a sleeping pill
And sleep at will
And not have to go through what I go through
I guess I should take Prozac, right
And just smile all night
At somebody new
Somebody not too bright but sweet and kind
Who would try to get you off my mind
I could leave this agony behind
Which is just what I'd do
If I wanted to
But I don't want to get over you

I don't want to get over love
I could listen to my therapist
Pretend you don't exist
And not have to dream of what I dream of
I could listen to all my friends
And go out again
And pretend its enough
Or I could make a career of being blue
I could dress in black and read Camus
Smoke clove cigarettes and drink vermouth
Like I was 17
That would be a scream
But I don't want to get over you.

I love this song too, one of my fav

i'm going to see the magnetic fields on the 21st in nyc. i've _liked_ them for awhile, but i decided to really familiarize myself with all the records in preparation for the show and now i'm like, completely obsessed. i listen to 69 love songs cd3 at least once a day.. the new record is great, so excited!

oh of course 69 love.. is a must!

Does anyone have any bootlegs of theirs? I'm pretty sure that after 15 years of preforming, there bootleg discography is quite in depth.

ah saw them last night at the sold out show in hollywood - it was AMAZING, best show i've been to in a while. and the opening act were interesting - using music and sound effects to tell an edgar allen poe story. I feel that it's a must to see them again tonight, spur of the moment, even though its sold out again. Tickets were going for 10 bucks from scalpers.

Back
Top Bottom