Message from Morrissey on TTY

I think he has got wind of the rumours and the panic that he might be retiring and wants to basically make it clear that none of that came from him. And I think he is trying to calm us down and stop people bankrupting themselves in order to make it to what we have led to believe may be his last shows. What a sweetie! I think its all good, and we should take heart and just think he's gonna have a much deserved rest!
:)

Yes.

He probably cringes when we say things like this, but he's a big sweetheart. :o

Well, that was disarming. I kind of second the person who said that they took the press release seriously because Moz has said not to believe anything unless it comes from TTY - he's very much set it up as his official, first-person voice on the Web, so there's no wonder people freaked out.

I totally thought he'd written the press release, for the record, though I'm happy to believe him now that he's essentially denied it - it read odd and strained to me, and at the time I assumed this was due to discomfort with the ticket-hawking and whatever general malaise led to the announcement that "who knows what the future will bring" - however it could just as easily be the fact that someone else was trying to write sort of like Morrissey, and apparently that was indeed the case.

But, whatever. It was a really sweet little note, although seriously, if the chain of contact from promoters to whatever representative of Moz' compiled the info and released it on TTY didn't at include even a CC for Moz, then he's not just mellowed since the days of sleeve font choices and compulsory trees; it's possible that he's actually writing this from the monastery.

And I still might not believe that he didn't know, but I'll forgive him. He clearly has the grace to be embarrassed, the sentiment about loyalty rings true, and also, "pitifully short legs."

Last edited:
What he means is that the press release didn't come from him but from the tour promoters.
Moz has never used the third person to speak about himself, this last message comes from him and he's the only person who knows what he's planning for the future.

I assumed it was Julia re-phrasing something Morrissey had said.

p.s. if morrissey isn't the one who wants to see the whites of the fans eyes to create some great memories, who is it?

p.s. if morrissey isn't the one who wants to see the whites of the fans eyes to create some great memories, who is it?

Well, that's the thing. There were parts of the previous release that really sounded like him. But then, "rumor" was spelled in the American way in the final paragraph. I think he pencilled something and the publicist had his/her way with it and blew it all out of proportion. Who knows? I'm happy with what he's said today.

So, now we need a new Q&A- I sent in an interesting question about vegetarianism. Maybe he will choose to answer it. Last time we had a new Q&A, it was on the same day as a tiny little statement from Morrissey.

We miss you Moz- you should blog, as someone said. You're a great writer and you never fail to have a thought-provoking opinion--and you're not afraid to state it either.

Well, that's the thing. There were parts of the previous release that really sounded like him. But then, "rumor" was spelled in the American way in the final paragraph. I think he pencilled something and the publicist had his/her way with it and blew it all out of proportion. Who knows? I'm happy with what he's said today.

And who said we overanalyse his words? :p

It was sweet, but today's message from Morrissey doesn't change anything for me...nor for the people shut out from buying the residency packages and gaining front of the queue privileges.

But I liked that part about excusing those who don't go in for the residency package!

And I am also suspicious about Moz saying he has nothing to do with the "season package" or ticket prices since the apparatus (tty), aka the party organ that reports straight from duh Mozzer's mouth, is the one that originally published that Aug. 22 press release announcing the package so that Moz could see the eyes of everyone etc.

It was very odd how the press release avoided the first person and the active voice -- the $75M was refused...as opposed to "I told those asshats where they could stick their $75M". It all smacks of "mistakes were made" -- where even Reagan's language disclaimed responsibility.

But Moz says it's okay if we pass...what a disingenous genius!

"With so many US concerts this year your loyalty has already been over-stretched, so if you decide to pass, that's OK." As if that's an option

I love it when he sez hello -writing to say hey in his gentle way (whether it was direct or embellished :))

He's saying "Thank you for supporting the tour" and being modest about it. Maybe he does realize that a lot of people went to several shows and may not be able to see every one, but he's saying, don't worry about it.

The main thing is that while the previous message was not written by him and may have been somewhat cryptic, though less than what it was made to be, it mostly said, "Go see Morrissey if you want to because the tour is coming to a close." It didn't say he was retiring. That and the NME thing from a short while back worked together to make people feel desperate.

He's saying, in my opinion, if I paraphrase him, "Relax, I'm not retiring. If you can see me, great. If you can't I understand. Thank you for supporting the tour."

There's nothing in this new message that needs that much analysis, and we should all relax and be happy that he made this statement. I think that's what it was for. I think he genuinely does appreciate the support he has gotten over the years, from probably one of the most loyal fanbases there is.

Well I stopped reading after the fifth post. Have any of you thought about appearing on a one-off Frasier or something? TALK ABOUT OVER-ANALYSIS!!!

Next week: Morrissey announces that he likes to bathe in Rice Krispies cos of the Snap, Cackle and Pop but prefers making Chocolate Cornflake cakes, "Just like my mum used to make..."

Oh theres an idea for a song title.

He's saying "Thank you for supporting the tour" and being modest about it. Maybe he does realize that a lot of people went to several shows and may not be able to see every one, but he's saying, don't worry about it.

The main thing is that while the previous message was not written by him and may have been somewhat cryptic, though less than what it was made to be, it mostly said, "Go see Morrissey if you want to because the tour is coming to a close." It didn't say he was retiring. That and the NME thing from a short while back worked together to make people feel desperate.

He's saying, in my opinion, if I paraphrase him, "Relax, I'm not retiring. If you can see me, great. If you can't I understand. Thank you for supporting the tour."

There's nothing in this new message that needs that much analysis, and we should all relax and be happy that he made this statement. I think that's what it was for. I think he genuinely does appreciate the support he has gotten over the years, from probably one of the most loyal fanbases there is.

:) right on DAVE! exactly.

No need to bring julia into this, Julia has never written press releases.
Like i said this is more likely coming from the tour promoters states side.

No need to bring julia into this, Julia has never written press releases.
Like i said this is more likely coming from the tour promoters states side.

Julia may not have written the Aug. 22 press release, but she is certainly the publisher. Do you think she would publish the promoter's twaddle without Mozzer's permission? I think not!

Shortshanked Mozzer or no, it beggars belief that Moz did not have approval over the press release being published.

Julia may not have written the Aug. 22 press release, but she is certainly the publisher. Do you think she would publish the promoter's twaddle without Mozzer's permission? I think not!

Shortshanked Mozzer or no, it beggars belief that Moz did not have approval over the press release being published.

I totally agree Mel *stands by now for bashing by rose tinted glasses fans*

I totally agree Mel *stands by now for bashing by rose tinted glasses fans*
Rose tinted glasses or relief that the retirement rumours were..... ermm ......just rumours after all.

speculation speculation.
truth is , we will never know what really happened and speculating is rather boring and pointless.

There's nothing contradictory about the two statements on TruetoYou. He didn't say he was retiring in the first one and he just makes this more plain in the second. He may have not been aware until now that NME had been stirring over the summer while he was in America. Even if he did, he may not have realised by saying he didn't know what would happen in the future it would cause such a load of ridiculous speculation.

They always post details of tickets on TrueToYou. That does not mean Morrissey is in control of how they are sold, it just means he makes sure the information is out there.

Well, that's the thing. There were parts of the previous release that really sounded like him. But then, "rumor" was spelled in the American way in the final paragraph.

I also thought the phrase ''if you decide to pass'' sounded very american.
I'm not saying Morrissey hasn't written those words, it's just that you can tell he's passed on his words via an american.
Let's hope Morrissey does a couple of UK shows in December just to get on the NME's nerves.

Last edited:
I also thought the phrase ''if you decide to pass'' sounded very american.
I'm not saying Morrissey hasn't written those words, it's just that you can tell he's passed on his words via an american.

Well, he did live in America for nearly 10 years: "We look to Los Angeles for the language we use." After all, onstage in 1999, he sang "loafing oafs in all-night pharmacies". It does rub off... like it or not.

There's another point we haven't discussed yet:
"With so many US concerts this year your loyalty has already been over-stretched"

So many. Over-stretched.
It seems to me that he's aware that there are too many concerts in the US, which makes me wonder why he decided to do "so many US concerts". It's a sort of contradiction. Maybe he had to do all these shows in the US. I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom