Mike Joyce challenges Marks & Spencer over pork gelatin use in Percy Pig sweets

Percy Pigs are Murder: Smiths drummer takes on M&S over gelatin in sweets - The Telegraph

The original post is on his Facebook.

I saw this in my stream today and posted it as a bit of ex-Smiths news sans editorial remarks. My point here is to share info, not to praise or condemn Joyce's current or past actions or to expound on the virtues of vegetarianism, etc.

39122_MeatMurder_copy-large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you notice children are starving in some regions of our planet, pigs are being slaughtered to feed other animal species which could survive without the daily massacre and we grown-up people are discussing Percy Pig? I mean, is it a good example for children witnessing adult people losing time with this veggie option of a sweet? Buy them another sweet without the pig word or image and tell them it's bad to eat pigs and end the story. That's the right example. Maybe it's better investing time and social media exposure in real causes with actual impact over important matters like chidren nutrition and animal welfare.

ASDA_Baking_Vegetarian_Gelatine_3_per_pack_30g.html
ASDA_Baking_Vegetarian_Gelatine_3_per_pack_30g.html

Really? Do feel free to find me somewhere where I can buy something called 'veggie gelatin'. You must have seen it. They don't sell it, because it would be an oxymoron. Dr. Oetker sell something called Vege-Gel, but not veggie gelatin. In your own time.

Hmm, I wonder what on earth 'Gel' might be an abbreviation for? Asda apparently used to sell (sells?) something labelled as 'Vegetarian gel'. You can find it through Google if you care to. Not bought it myself as I'm not that much of a cook. Correct or not, people and businesses refer to 'vegetarian gelatin'. They know what they mean and mostly, I'd say, people understand what they mean.

I do, however, buy 'Quorn chicken pieces' to stir-fry with. There's no chicken meat (is murder) in them. I know what they mean, and they know what they mean, so almost everyone is happy despite their oxymoron. It doesn't vex me like it might others.

Last edited:
f***ing hell. How THICK are you? Gelatine IS animal derived, you moron. If it says Gelatine, it's from an animal.
That's a bit heavy handed there Uncle. But sure what would you expect from a pig but a grunt? Sorry I couldn't help myself with the pun.

Not thick at all. Agar is commonly referred to as 'veggie gelatin' 'cos it is a vegetarian replacement for animal-based gelatin.

Yes veggie gelatin not usual gelatin ..just like veggie chicken .
You do know chicken is a meat ?

I refer the honourable gentleman to my comment above. Guilty of swearing, you honour, because I like swearing. As for the rest - evidence or shut up. Not vague feelings of unease - actual links and evidence. Go ahead. And we'll talk about what you find. Not the repetitious nonsense, because that's subjective. Hard facts.
You're still asking for evidence and facts? Sorry, you're disqualified. You can't provide them yourself. You pick easy targets, hide behind semantics, and when reason fails you, which it frequently does, you resort to name-calling. I'm still waiting for your response on the Sugar Mutts thread.

Last edited:
Yes veggie gelatin not usual gelatin ..just like veggie chicken .
You do know chicken is a meat ?

There's also veggie cheese, veggie milk, veggie burgers... You do know that all were first used to refer to animal-based products? I see no point in making a separate dictionary for people following a specific diet. It's certainly way easier to just add an adjective or prefix. You get the fact that combining two words can change their meaning? People's democracy isn't actually democracy.

I wish something said or done around this site could make me feel any better, or worst, or anything...
Sadly, reality is absorbing all my feelings right now, right here. Thanks, anyway :)
This will sound very simplistic but sometimes simple little things can raise us up. I find listening to the latest New Order album (Music Complete) very uplifting. The odd beer is nice too. Yes the world is a pigsty but sometimes we have to escape from it if only for the length of an album or an episode of your favourite TV show. Sorry for going off topic.

This will sound very simplistic but sometimes simple little things can raise us up. I find listening to the latest New Order album (Music Complete) very uplifting. The odd beer is nice too. Yes the world is a pigsty but sometimes we have to escape from it if only for the length of an album or an episode of your favourite TV show. Sorry for going off topic.

So true!
Thanks Acton. :thumb:

You are right. I should have said I only take the good things and enjoy the words of nice people of this site, which I actually do, and ignore the rest.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom