Mike Joyce tweets on Glastonbury performance and "cover versions"

Update, June 25, 6:53 PM PT:
Maurice E mentions the additional tweets:

@QuintinForbes You're right. I just didn't enjoy The Smiths songs. He was in fine form though.

@QuintinForbes Quite right. I think "cover versions"was maybe the wrong phrase. I just didn't enjoy The Smiths songs. He sounded great tho.

@mj_quinn The "band" were the musicians in The Smiths...Mozzer wasn't in the "band' M was the singer/lyricist in the group.

From Mike Joyce's Twitter page:

"Gr8 performance from M at Glasto but didn't like the cover versions. M was in the group...but not in the band, those tunes belong to them."

Presumably, he thinks Marr's solo versions of Smiths songs are faultless?
Also, how about Joyce Michael, as a member of the 'band' treats us to his own version of the Smiths songs?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Jesse is as bad as you lot say he is, wouldn't you think Morrissey would have gotten rid of him by now? Exactly!

No. Morrissey's taste in music is uniformly shite. Check out Jobriath some time.

And you say he can't write a song? Last time I checked, Jesse has a lot of chart positions in the Top 10 & Top 20 with Morrissey. Yeah, I guess that means he doesn't know how to write a song? Sorry!

So when Morrissey's songs don't reach the Top 10, it's because they're bad songs?

You make a good point, though: he has had "hits" with Morrissey - just as Mike Joyce had "hits" ... with Morrissey. Many of Morrissey's fans repeatedly say that Mike Joyce would've been nothing without Morrissey and these tend to be the same people who like Jesse Tobias. I'm sure it has nothing to do with just accepting whoever happens to be in favour with Morrissey at any given point. That'd just make them seem a bit pathetic. Incidentally, how many Top 10 singles did Jesse Tobias have without the Morrissey brand name?

If Jesse is good enough for Morrissey, he's good enough for me. And he's good enough for us!

I accept that, in 2011, Jesse Tobias IS good enough for Morrissey. Neither of them are good enough for anybody else anymore.

... and all this talk of Johnny Marr. Thought he was in The Cribs now ... ? Thing is -- as it's always been since '87 -- there will be people who want to have an alternative opinion [like those who say they've been abducted by aliens or those who go on any old march, just cause it's a march] that will try to be too cool for school by saying their favourite was Johnny or Andy etc. Let me ask you - ... who saved your life when you were a teenager - was it Johnny? Probably not ... 'I'm human and I need to be loved ... just like everybody else does'.

... and all this talk of Johnny Marr. Thought he was in The Cribs now ... ? Thing is -- as it's always been since '87 -- there will be people who want to have an alternative opinion [like those who say they've been abducted by aliens or those who go on any old march, just cause it's a march] that will try to be too cool for school by saying their favourite was Johnny or Andy etc. Let me ask you - ... who saved your life when you were a teenager - was it Johnny? Probably not ... 'I'm human and I need to be loved ... just like everybody else does'.

I very first time I heard the Smiths I heard a guitar, not a voice. Subsequently, that is what I fell in love with. Johnny will always be the hero of the band for me.

I believe the TCB ('Taking Care of Business') Band would do a wunderbar job as the Moz's backing band.

Moz could even give the white rhinestone jumpsuit a try.

Joyce Michael could adequately handle the Mozzer's scarves during the performance.

Boz could watch the deep fried peanut and banana sandwiches in the rider.

Everyone would be happy.

Thankyouverymuch!

I think he should sack Jesse Tobias and get Mike Joyce in on guitar.

Joyce is a competent drummer, and The Smiths would not have been the same without him (it's fair to assume that another drummer could quite easily have filled his shoes, but we'll never know, and his drumming, basic and undramatic as it may be, was an integral part of the Smiths sound).
That said, what has Joyce done since The Smiths? Nothing worth noting, as far as I know. In that regard, it's understandable that he's still hung up on past glories. You won't see Moz and Marr put out a DVD talking endlessly about the 'good old days' (although it would sell in bucketloads), simply because they have better things to do. Most of Marr's post-Smiths work falls somewhere between 'pretty good' and 'not crazy about it' for me, but at least the guy is keeping busy. So yes, the question 'who cares what Mike Joyce thinks?' is entirely valid. I don't see his opinion being more worth than any average user on this website.

As for Jesse, hating him and/or his playing is misguided at best. He's been with Morrissey for years now, and if Morrissey wasn't happy with his playing, he would have kicked him out, or at least asked him to change his style. So the 'problem', if there is one, is Moz (and possibly Boz), not Jesse. Morrissey has the same songwriters he's had since 1992 (save for the songs written by Jesse, and again, if he didn't like Jesse's songs, they would have been canned), and it's ultimately he (and Boz, I suppose) that decides the direction of the music.

I thought 'I wan't the one I can't have' was excellent (music and vocals) at Glasto. I loved the slighlty alternative version of 'Meat is Murder'. Moz has every right to sing those songs and if they sound slightly different from the studio versions then isn't that a bonus? Also: I thought Morrissey looked great and so did his band (group?). My wife was never a Smiths/Morrisey fan but she went with me to see him during YOR tour in Galway and loved it and thought he looked fantastic. She watched the Glasto concert with me on Friday night and thought it was excellent. All I'm trying to say is that I think Morrissey is in fine form both vocally and physically so he should ignore any comments on this site to the contrary.
A.C.T.O.N.

I like Mike Joyce he is a great drummer and a top bloke! But I can't stand his lazy sidekick Andy Rourke sorry but he makes me feel physically sick. I hate Andy Rourke.

so what if he doesn't like the smiths songs in the setlist and please stop this joyce michael stuff as it's not the slightest bit amusing.
I hate Mike Joyce's lazy sidekick Andy Rourke so much. Mike Joyce is ok though.

Sure, there is probably an abundance of drummers technically greater than Joyce.

Lest ye forget... "I could play Stairway To Heaven when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot."

Joyce - perfect drummer for The Smiths
Morrissey - perfect frontman, lyricist, singer for The Smiths
Marr - perfect songwriter, guitarist, for The Smiths
Rourke - perfect bassist for The Smiths

The Smiths - perfect band for the time.

To varying degrees, I'm convinced that all contributed, wrote, played and added to the sound and feel.

Times change, things move on, and some continue with other glories.

I very much doubt that Moz would hand-pick what he considered to be shit musicians and songwriters, and I'm positive the current crop contribute with as much passion as all his former cohorts.

There's always the option not to buy the records if you don't like 'em.
No one's forcing you venture to a show.

And as for character assassination and judgements on physical attributes? How very modern. How very X-Factor.

Armed with a copy of Debrette's, a handful of diet-pills, a trip to the salon, and a library that still has The BBC's "Rock School" on its audio/visual shelves - well, the world would be your f***ing oyster!

No way! I LOVE Andy Rourke! I think he's far better than Mike Joyce! (I still really like Mike, too, though.)
I HATE Andy Rourke he is nasty, lazy and fake! Andy Rourke needs to grow up!
Mike Joyce is saint when you compare him to Andy Rourke.
Are you Andy Rourke?

Had to post somewhere how dreadful I thought the bands rendition of Smiths songs, and I do feel that until he can employ some decent musicians he should stop murdering these songs. The Smiths were a great band, and this performance further reminds me of this. Morrissey can be a great solo artist, but has struggled with a lumpen band (and songwriting partners) for far too long. Maybe he is having to do so many Smiths songs suggests he admits the paucity in his own catalogue at the moment? Can't say I agree, I think there were some great songs up to and including "Vauxhall" that would be far more fitting with his performances.

Mike Joyce is a joke, but an unfortunately dangerous man. But i'd agree that Johnny Marr should have the right to stop the songs being performed so dreadfully.

Had to post somewhere how dreadful I thought the bands rendition of Smiths songs, and I do feel that until he can employ some decent musicians he should stop murdering these songs. The Smiths were a great band, and this performance further reminds me of this. Morrissey can be a great solo artist, but has struggled with a lumpen band (and songwriting partners) for far too long. Maybe he is having to do so many Smiths songs suggests he admits the paucity in his own catalogue at the moment? Can't say I agree, I think there were some great songs up to and including "Vauxhall" that would be far more fitting with his performances.

Mike Joyce is a joke, but an unfortunately dangerous man. But i'd agree that Johnny Marr should have the right to stop the songs being performed so dreadfully.
I think Morrissey has a right to sing whatever he wants to! It's not down to Mike Joyce or anyone but Morrissey himself! Andy Rourke plays Smiths songs when he DJ's you say that is wrong or when he played bass in a Smiths tribute band. You could say Andy Rourke is leeching off The Smiths' name. The Smiths to me are Morrissey and Johnny Marr. The Smiths were a great band, but I hope The Smiths never get back together, they are best left in the 1980s.
Why do you think Mike Joyce is a dangerous man?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom