More "Various Clips" - Morrissey Central; incl. 3 clips of "Bengali...", 2 of "Life Is A Pigsty"

So I say again FREE TOMMY ROBINSON!

Right on! He's only a harmless violent criminal with multiple convictions and delusions of a media career, after all.

The establishment is just frightened of anyone who exercises their right to jeopardize court cases and allow sex offenders to walk free on a technicality.

It's as if they're more concerned with sending grooming gangs to prison than watching some knobhead on YouTube. Pretty much sums up what's wrong with modern Britain.

Right on! He's only a harmless violent criminal with multiple convictions and delusions of a media career, after all.

The establishment is just frightened of anyone who exercises their right to jeopardize court cases and allow sex offenders to walk free on a technicality.

It's as if they're more concerned with sending grooming gangs to prison than watching some knobhead on YouTube. Pretty much sums up what's wrong with modern Britain.

fix it: Modern Islamic Britain.:rolleyes:

These are all quite amusing. I got a warm and fuzzy feeling watching Kiss me a lot. There is no question Morrissey loves to be kissed by men. I’m now even more determined to plant one on his face myself. Oh well, maybe a hug would be good enough.
I got a chuckle out of the 3! Bengali covers. Ahh Morrissey, you are the ultimate Agent Provocateur.
Needless to say, it was a good start of a day.
AeIlc.png

31oSYrG4CeL.jpg

Just trawling the madness of utube randomly....I don't know who these guys are. I'll let the clip speak for itself. Defend this one guys. I'm sure somebody will.

I agree, evennow. I've never had a problem with 'life is hard enough when you belong here' - since Morrissey has made a career out of 'not belonging', this meaning always seemed clear to me. However, this song does make me uneasy.
'he only wants to embrace your culture
and to be your friend forever'
always feels a bit snide and mocking to me. I don't hear those words at face value, I hear them in a sarcastic way (maybe that's a British thing). Interesting to see in FWD's post above that the original lyrics were going to include a line about his awful jumper: '‘A shame it’s an old one/Has anyone told him?’ , which to me seems to suffer from the same problem.
So I'm never quite sure what to make of it.

Thank you and FWD for pointing out this additional lyric. I don't know what to believe either really. It just seems to be a stretch that he would publicly express hatred towards another race given his stance on all living things sans the Queen, but his most recent missives can give one reason to re-address the issue. Nonetheless, the underlying music being as beautiful as it is kind of distracts and detracts perhaps from what is being said underneath. I wonder if Johnny ever said during it's production "What exactly are you trying to say here?" I doubt it. Perception is 99% of reality defined, and the prism through which the obliqueness of art is perceived. Intention is most often left discarded by those too quick to judge. What do I mean by all of this... I have no idea.

Last edited:

If you can't see that there's a crackdown on voices that speak out or even just crack a joke these days on "sensitive topics", then you're an idot.

My issue isn't to debate whether Bengali in Platforms is or isn't. But everybody knows there's been a long running debate surrounding it. It's gotten a ton of ink over the years, so why not a little more? Right now. Please? It feels like he's trying to elicit more press and controversy to stir up interest in his shows.

I see the point you are making and I agree in a small amount, but if he were really trying to stir up interest in his shows there are so many better ways he could do so. If he released a set list of musical gems of his past masterwork that he would perform, then tickets would be unobtainable. He is a truculent narcissist, which is about as simply as I can put it. You take what you can get. Today I feel like one of those couples that are still married after 30 years that remember the initial spark, but stay with their significant other out of habit, or necessity, or the memory of the past love they shared many, many years ago.

He claims to love his admirers, but refuses to give them what they want. Withholding that which others want seems to be a theme that has followed him throughout his career and more importantly I believe he most enjoys. To me it is unnatural not want to please those that love you as he proclaims at most concerts, but he is wired differently. He has always be an insular human being from the very beginning. I personally think Sam has a large hand in pushing the promotional wheel round and for the worse.

I see the point you are making and I agree in a small amount, but if he were really trying to stir up interest in his shows there are so many better ways he could do so. If he released a set list of musical gems of his past masterwork that he would perform, then tickets would be unobtainable. He is a truculent narcissist, which is about as simply as I can put it. You take what you can get. Today I feel like one of those couples that are still married after 30 years that remember the initial spark, but stay with their significant other out of habit, or necessity, or the memory of the past love they shared many, many years ago.

He claims to love his admirers, but refuses to give them what they want. Withholding that which others want seems to be a theme that has followed him throughout his career and more importantly I believe he most enjoys. To me it is unnatural not want to please those that love you as he proclaims at most concerts, but he is wired differently. He has always be an insular human being from the very beginning. I personally think Sam has a large hand in pushing the promotional wheel round and for the worse.

Thank you and FWD for pointing out this additional lyric. I don't know what to believe either really. It just seems to be a stretch that he would publicly express hatred towards another race given his stance on all living things sans the Queen, but his most recent missives can give one reason to re-address the issue. Nonetheless, the underlying music being as beautiful as it is kind of distracts and detracts perhaps from what is being said underneath. I wonder if Johnny ever said during it's production "What exactly are you trying to say here?" I doubt it. Perception is 99% of reality defined, and the prism through which the obliqueness of art is perceived. Intention is most often left discarded by those too quick to judge. What do I mean by all of this... I have no idea.
Even though Johnny wasn't around by then, it's a question I've often wondered about other songs and other writing partners (Reel Around the Fountain, Stretch out and Wait, Luck Lisp, November Spawned spring to mind, as well as this one). "Wait, Reel Around the Fountain means what?" :eek:

"Perception is 99% of reality defined" - I'm going to steal that and use it to make me look erudite. Thank you :tiphat:

I get why he does it. If you're an artist that isn't willing to compromise then you'll put your art out on your own terms which is admirable.

The trouble is you've still got to promote your work to get people to see or in this case hear that art so there's all the verbal shits stuff that we have to contend with.

Despite the fact that I won't bother with his shows anymore I still respect that what he performs he does on his own terms.

perception is about appearances not reality ,O :baby: Freuds.:crazy:

First the bad comedy from the Halal Butcher wannabes not this, :baby: Freuds by:oldman:s

very very embarrasing.doh:

Every circus needs its clown. Most of them don't take over photos and promotion though. It's funny to me, what he delivers vs what it seems like he thinks he delivers. I don't feel like part of a married couple, but more part of a divorced one where the ex flounces all over the place on social media and you watch with a detached bemusement and a sprinkle of horror that at one point in time, you f***ed that. Metaphorically speaking of course.

After listening to Bengali again, I really believe the racist overtones that haunt this song come down to his use of the word "belong".

oh shelve your western plans and understand
that life is hard enough when you "belong" here

This gives one the impression that he is not welcome, but I don't feel this is what Morrissey meant to convey. The lyrics that proceed this:

he only wants to embrace your culture
and to be your friend forever

to me shows Morrissey is trying to warn this newcomer that life in the western world is not all that it seems. If he had written:

oh shelve your western plans and understand
that life is hard enough "even if" you "were born" here

would have been a commentary on life in the western world and that the grass is not always greener on the other side. He didn't, and maybe the original was his intended message, but just my two cents.

It's probably more likely that he meant the one he actually said? He has backed it up with decades of quotes and "shelve your western plans ... life is hard enough when you belong here" is almost exactly saying "do not immigrate. You don't belong here."
It slipped by at the time but after his NME interview and his support for the right wing anti-immigration parties it's wishful thinking to hear anything else.
I'm sure the covers were posted to show that the true fans understand what he "really" meant. It's more of the same button-pushing.

I don't want to argue but it's like saying maybe if we look at it a different way nuclear waste is good for us.

It's probably more likely that he meant the one he actually said? He has backed it up with decades of quotes and "shelve your western plans ... life is hard enough when you belong here" is almost exactly saying "do not immigrate. You don't belong here."
It slipped by at the time but after his NME interview and his support for the right wing anti-immigration parties it's wishful thinking to hear anything else.
I'm sure the covers were posted to show that the true fans understand what he "really" meant. It's more of the same button-pushing.

I don't want to argue but it's like saying maybe if we look at it a different way nuclear waste is good for us.

I guess we are to take from this that the Islam grooming gang stuff is like Manna from Heaven.:crazy:

Even though Johnny wasn't around by then, it's a question I've often wondered about other songs and other writing partners (Reel Around the Fountain, Stretch out and Wait, Luck Lisp, November Spawned spring to mind, as well as this one). "Wait, Reel Around the Fountain means what?" :eek:

"Perception is 99% of reality defined" - I'm going to steal that and use it to make me look erudite. Thank you :tiphat:

Yes, I do my best work whilst under the influence of the beverage that dare not speak its name. Morrissey is quite the jigsaw puzzle, and I used to love putting together a good 500 to 1000 piece one as it gave me a sense of accomplishment in the end, but Moz is a puzzle with a few missing pieces that makes it an impossibility to complete. Frustratingly understandable and so I will leave that Pandora's box of puzzle pieces unopened.

Some of my favorite songs you mentioned above, of this there is no debate, no debate, no debate. The November video was life changing. The band aid over the nipple and apple in the mouth was a stroke of genius equal to the lyrics and probably as close as he ever came to dancing outright in a video. He is beautiful to look at and his movements are mesmerizing as are the lyrics that accompany them. Plus I live in a desert so the backdrop always holds a special meaning for me.

Moz is a jigsaw puzzle with a few missing pieces?:rolleyes: 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle? Maybe too much of that
unknown no name beverage?
Moz has a few missing pieces?:crazy:

Every circus needs its clown. Most of them don't take over photos and promotion though. It's funny to me, what he delivers vs what it seems like he thinks he delivers. I don't feel like part of a married couple, but more part of a divorced one where the ex flounces all over the place on social media and you watch with a detached bemusement and a sprinkle of horror that at one point in time, you f***ed that. Metaphorically speaking of course.

That's funny and I get that as well. I guess I am just an abused spouse thinking that he will change and that this will be the last time he will say and do these hurtful things. I am at heart an optimist. I try to see the better side of people even if all else may seem lost. Not healthy of course, but was taking every word he ever wrote to heart healthy? No, but his brand of loneliness and heartache is a hard habit to break.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom