Morrissey NME libel case from 2007 hearing - decision for a trial expected "within weeks"

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/118322-Morrissey-NME-libel-case-latestUpdate 7:15 AM PT:

Link posted by Bluebirds in the forums (original post):

Latest from the courts:

Morrissey's NME libel case: judge to decide on jury trial - The Guardian
Britain's most senior libel judge, Mr Justice Tugendhat, to decide if former Smiths frontman's case should be set a high court date

Excerpt:

Mr Justice Tugendhat is expected to decide within weeks whether the former Smiths frontman should be set a high court date for his long and bitter battle against NME over the article, first published four years ago.

Lawyers for the singer told the court on Tuesday that he is willing to be cross-examined as a witness if the trial goes ahead. Morrissey is suing Conor McNicholas, the then-editor of NME, and the magazine's publisher, IPC Media, for libel.

If given the green light by Tugendhat, the trial would be the first UK libel case to be heard before a jury for more than two years. The most recent libel trial by jury in the UK was in 2009, when media baron Richard Desmond lost a case against the author Tom Bower.

Forum thread posted by Uncleskinny:

From a recent Twitter source comes this...

Morrissey's Libel Case Against NME Should Be Thrown Out, Court Told - Huffington Post UK
Singer Morrissey's libel case over an article about his attitude to immigration should be thrown out as it was "not a genuine bid for vindication", a judge has heard.

Also posted in the forum thread by goinghome:

Morrissey libel claim 'not genuine' - Irish Times

And also posted by Bluebirds, a detailed article in The Guardian:

Morrissey takes 'racism' battle to court - The Guardian
NME interview in 2007 quoted former Smiths frontman complaining of an 'immigration explosion' in Britain

Excerpt:

Britain's most senior libel judge, Mr Justice Tugendhat, is expected to decide on Tuesday whether the claim should go to trial. Morrissey could testify in court alongside his former manager, Merck Mercuriadis, as well as McNicholas, Krissi Murison-Hodge, formerly the deputy editor, and Tim Jonze, the interviewer and now editor of guardian.co.uk/music.

If the claim goes to trial, more than 250 emails between the NME and Morrissey's manager, as well as a full transcript of the interview, would be used as evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey NME libel case from 2007 hearing - decision for a trial expect

I love how you liberals defend Moz's racist comments (because he is a liberal too) yet if it was a conservative who said the same things (or less) you'd want him dragged to the gallows immediately.

Two-faced hypocrites.

LIBERALS? You mean the single minded with their narrow world view who cannot see beyond their little islands (North America, Britain, Ireland) and whose world collapses if somebody makes a ... gasp... spelling mistake? Even Morrissey's friend James Maker stated on youtube that the media is nowadays controlled by punks and their likes and they still have the hypocracy to claim that the media is ruled by "conservatives". Anybody with a slightly wider world view knows that their categories hardly apply on a more global scale.

troll

Queer homosexual gimps get out of morrisseys life you dysfunctions queered queens

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey NME libel case from 2007 hearing - decision for a trial expect

Queer homosexual gimps get out of morrisseys life you dysfunctions queered queens
I hope the site moderators will erase this homophobic rant. It does the Morrissey-Solo no favours.

I hope the site moderators will erase this homophobic rant. It does the Morrissey-Solo no favours.

You know what hasn't morrissey-solo and Morrissey any favour? The drugged up rants by homosexuals. They are more revealing than you'd imagine. You are constantly shooting in your own feet.

Lastly (but really a mute point), 18,000 tickets for the Manchester Evening News Arena sold out in 84 minutes to selling out the LA Shrine (with presales) in two days, is the law of diminishing returns in my eyes.

The expression is "moot point". And yes, you really are grasping at straws. Touring is where artists make their money, anyway.

The expression is "moot point". And yes, you really are grasping at straws. Touring is where artists make their money, anyway.

At this stage none of the very substantial points I have raised about the man's hypocrisy and rather suspect views on race have not been addressed, nor does it look like they will be addressed. So I'll leave you to blindly follow him, blindly defended him and blindly spend your hard earned money on him (keep spending, call it funding his defence case, if you will) I hope he is going to need every penny of it. Bye.

Back
Top Bottom