Morrissey's 1976 review Of The Ramones in Melody Maker on eBay

Re: Morrissey's 1976 Review Of The Ramones On Ebay

Ive absoulty no idea who the ramones are! I havent a clue!

But patti smith! The punk princess herself! :)

Ive loved patti smith for years now, bought all of her CDs and theres quite a few!!!! all have absolutly incredibilly moving lyrics and uplifting music !

And ive only just recently found out that morrissey admires her to!

Its quite easy to understand why morrissey adores patti smith, shes utterly outspoken, highly critisized and misunderstood, a non conformist, eccentric, totally original ect, she does seem to swear quite a lot, even in concert, but thats just the way she is, shes fantastic ! :)
In here own words shes a "rock n roll n*****" !

You think kristeen young is incredible live in concert by playing her fantastic aggresive style music and emotinal healing words ect that is just absolutly beautifull and uplifting to experience , wait to you see patti smith live in concert !!!!!!! :)

Absolutly incredible !!!!!!!!! They both are!!!!!!!
:)

In fact there is only one man on this planet who is better live in concert than patti smith and kristeen young and that is of course morrissey himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!! :)

Awww I feel i need to go and see morrissey live in concert again now, well cud allways just pop on a plane and go to new zealand, its only a few hours away on the opposite side of the planet! :)

But patti is actually an accumplished portrait artist in her own rite ect , but she is of course held in absolute wonder because of the absolutly fantastic poetry and music thats shes wrote!
Just look at some of her lyryics of "pissing in a river" ?

What more can I give you ? Baby I don't know
What more can I give you to make this thing grow?
Don't turn your back now, I'm talking to you

Should I pursue a path so twisted ?
Should I crawl defeated and gifted ?
Should I go the length of a river
Everything I've done, I've done for you
Oh I give my life for you.

What about it, you're gonna leave me,
What about it, you don't need me,
What about it, I can't live without you,
What about it, I never doubted you
What about it ? What about it ?
What about it ? What about it ?

Oh im pissing in a river"

Not many have the gift of writing emotinal music that can easily bring tears from ones eyes like this anymore these days !

Last edited:
Re: Morrissey's 1976 Review Of The Ramones

I am amused that he refers to himself as steve when we have him on video claiming a steve he never was. Crystal, is there nothing good or simole in your life? Just like a good lay , which you may need, you don't need meaning or depth to have a good time. As for ramones tunes go, I personally like the kkk took my baby away the most. It was also one of the first songs I learned on guitar

Morrissey used to call himself Steve and Stevie. At the time of writing Stephen/Steven was the UK most popular boys name. Steve Austin (6 Million Dollar Man) was the most popular man on British TV. The name Steve was pretty much the dogs bollocks.

As for the Ramones review, he saw them a year later and in later life referred to that concert as "jaw dropping" in a very positive way.

I've always thought it'd be interesting for an interviewer to question Morrissey on his 180-degree shifts on some music.

- With The Ramones he obviously went from disdain to dedication (though still not at P. Smith or NY Dolls levels I don't think)
- "Reggae is vile" to reviving an old reggae imprint
- Slamming The Polecats to Boz becoming the longest collaborator of his career.

With Moz it's sometime hard to tell where (analog) trolling ends and true shifts in opinions begin.

"Reggae is vile" comment was a joke, but possibly the interviewer didn't get it and people took it literary.

Nice find, thanks for posting.
He liked the word 'discordant', he also used it in his review of the infamous, legendary Sex Pistols gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in 1976. He also later stated that he always loved the Pistols.
There are some great Ramones songs, but you have to admit that they really stretched those four chords out. Their influence is undoubted.

Perhaps his views on the plethora of kids wearing Ramones t-shirts is consistent

MELODY MAKER - FEBRUARY 12 '77 G SLICK MORRISSEY LETTER - eBay auction

MELODY MAKER, 24 JULY 1976

mm19760724.jpg

Morrissey answered a question on the topic in a Billboard interview shortly after this item was mentioned:

A music blog recently uncovered an article you wrote in 1976 with the headline 'Ramones Are Rubbish.' Do you still believe the Ramones should have been "rightly filed and forgotten?"

I came clean about this many years ago. When I bought the Ramones first album on import, I was enraged with jealousy because I felt they had booted the Dolls off the map. I was 100% wrong. Three days after writing that Ramones piece, I realized that my love for the Ramones would out-live time itself. And it shall. Well, it virtually has already. If the Ramones were alive today, they'd be the biggest band in the world. It takes the world 30 years to catch on, doesn't it? I mean, look at poor Nico. Every modern teenager now seems to love Nico, yet while she was alive she couldn't afford a decent mattress.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

he doesn't feel that way anymore.

I've read it now. Why would I want to pay £35 to read it again?

Too cool. His prediction may be a bit off but his passion definitely resonates. I recall hearing "Beat on the Brat" pumped into the arenas before shows on the Kill Uncle tour. Morrissey must have eventually come to terms with the Ramones as I have come to accept Neil Diamond.

Well he's done the similar thing with Bowie. One minuit he's brilliant, the next he's a useless twat. Then again Morrissey seems to be like that about alot of things, has a very different opinion on a certain thing each each time it's mentioned.

Last edited:

Well he's done the similar thing with Bowie. One minuit he's brilliant, the next he's a useless twat. Then again Morrissey seems to be like that about alot of things, has a very different opinion on a certain thing each each time it's mentioned.

I don't know (or want to know) how old you are, but do remember he was barely 17 when he wrote that. Do you still love the things you did 10 or 15 years ago (to pick some arbitrary dates)?

I am amused that he refers to himself as steve when we have him on video claiming a steve he never was. Crystal, is there nothing good or simole in your life? Just like a good lay , which you may need, you don't need meaning or depth to have a good time. As for ramones tunes go, I personally like the kkk took my baby away the most. It was also one of the first songs I learned on guitar

Hey, I like crap music just like anyone else. Weezer and Cake are awesome in my book. :D

Morrissey, in his own words, from the liner notes of "Under The Influence" :

"In the real world of pop songs, genius drags the always reluctant world along. Awful to listen to on first play, the first Ramones album stays beside me almost thirty years on. A cruel £5.29 on import in 1976, this is an album of criminal ballads, and “Judy is a Punk” still sends a shock through the blood, complete with red-herring lyrical lift from “I’m Henry the Eighth, I Am” (“second verse/it’s the same as the first”). At Manchester’s Electric Circus to promote their debut album, the Ramones move across the stage like human remains floating ashore. Smallpox brought them together. Joey is whooping cough on two impossibly long legs. Someone who has been murdered in a hospital bed looks better than Joey.

The Ramones do nothing to conceal their disabilities, and I am once again in love."

-R. Berhnard

Lots of people write things and change their minds and lots of people say things to be provocative. I guess it's fair since he intended this to be published but I reviewed records for my high school paper and it was mostly about trying to be clever. Not that anything's changed and I would stand by my review of that Ted Nugent record. It really was terrible. But at the time that The Ramones were helpfully teaching The Sex Pistols and The Clash about this new thing called Punk Rock, Morrissey could easily have been defensive, and he obviously put them down for being not-English, or at least wanted to characterize them as Manhattan drug addicts which is pretty funny.

If you actually look at what The Ramones did it was an act. So was The Sex Pistols but they were so much more powerful than The Ramones that The Ramones really suffered in comparison in my opinion. I was 12 years old when The Sex Pistols were being banned in England and it was the most inspiring thing I"ve ever seen from any rock band. The Ramones just made records. They were good and funny records, energetic, but they were not The Sex Pistols, and neither was The Clash or anyone else. The Sex Pistols gave birth to and destroyed punk rock. So living in England at a time when The Sex Pistols are considered a threat to the crown (!!!) and are ruining the Queen's Jubilee, and then these dudes come along pushing this sort of novelty conceptual rock band of morons, which is basically what Joey portrayed, and it would be easy to dismiss them. Then time changes things and you see it differently.

I don't know (or want to know) how old you are, but do remember he was barely 17 when he wrote that. Do you still love the things you did 10 or 15 years ago (to pick some arbitrary dates)?
Of course i have different opinions. he found a band completely dispicable, then suddenly there great. as for bowie, he stated he loved him then completely slagged him off then said he was great again. im not talking about little thing, its a strong opinion on something then completely condradicts it alot, and not much time inbetween.
I could have said this about anybody, but i dont i just notice it alot with Moz.

Last edited:
When I was 17 I thought Ned's Atomic Dustbin was the next big thing. I bought the album a year ago and yikes! :sick: What was I thinking! :p

I myself personally love weezer and cake. Great bands I think.

Have you ever been to a Weezer show? Rivers Cuomo knows how to work a crowd. Tons of fun. :thumb:

When I was 17 I thought Ned's Atomic Dustbin was the next big thing. I bought the album a year ago and yikes! :sick: What was I thinking! :p

Hey Ned's are still awesome! Happy?, Grey...? Still great songs!

Back
Top Bottom