Morrissey's Statement

lyrics quoted in court
from both sides

england for the english
or
"england for the english"

The primary purpose of Morrissey's statement is an opportunity to state his views about the decline of the NME as a magazine he used to regard as one of the best. He has a long history with the NME going back to his childhood and apparently it's vitally important to him to go at length about how the magazine has gone down the tubes.

I've never thought Morrissey is a racist and it's unfair for him to be labeled one. Being labeled a racist is one of the most terrible things a person can be branded with (if you agree with me that being a racist is one of the stupidest things in the world). One of the reasons it's so unjust to label someone a racist without a sound basis is because once the media label you as such it tends to follow you around forever even if it is absolutely untrue.

But over the years Morrissey has had a lot of strong feelings boiling up inside him about immigration and foreign influence in Britain, and this does relate to race. His statement doesn't make anything clearer about such things.

Does Morrissey feel there are too many foreigners being let into England? Does he feel there's too much foreign influence on English culture? What immigration policies does Morrissey support? What are the flaws of current immigration policies, in Morrissey's opinion? Morrissey is clear that he despises much of American "cultural imperialism" (Estonia should be locked in the past for tourists no matter how much cunsumers there vote with their pocketbooks for the new changes taking place). How does he feel about Islamic "cultural imperialism"(honor killings in London, for example)? Does Morrissey feel immigrants from vastly different cultures should integrate more than they currently are? Or, by integrating more are they becoming too British and forgeting about their heritage? What does Morrissey feel about immigrants with violently anti-British views stemming from their religious extremism being given haven in Britain?

There's no obligation for Morrissey to make his views on these matters more clear, or for him to have an opinion on any of them at all. But he has said things that put some of these issues on the table for discussion and his statement today doesn't have anything to say about them.

That said, it is frustrating to many of us to see the hyper-PC attempt to make people afraid of speaking their minds about immigration-related issues out of fear they'll be labeled a racist. Immigration-related issues have big impacts on cities and countries and people should not be made afraid to discuss such matters if their feelings step one centimeter away from the politically correct dogma.

While I don't see racism in Morrissey's heart, or any reason to suspect he doesn't judge individuals as individuals , and while I don't think Morrissey needs to "prove" anything to the NME, it is odd that Morrissey seems to believe that liking foreign movies, liking some authors who have dark skin, liking this or that artist from the Middle East, or stating that he'd like to perform a concert in Iran, proves the falsity of the NME editor's speculation that Morrissey is okay with people of certain races, ethnicities, or cultural backrounds but wouldn't want to live next door to them. There are many racists who like specific athletes, singers, writers, etc., of the race they dislike.

Again, I don't think Morrissey has to prove he's not a racist, and I recognize how difficult it is to prove you're not one when a magazine decides to engage in a campaign to accuse you of it. People should be careful before labeling others a "racist," and such a label is often thrown about loosely as a weapon against anyone who says anything at all you dislike, or just for being someone you'd like to demonize for other reasons.

But what does Morrissey's statement actually "prove" beyond that he is not an overt racist?

Furthermore, what does contacting "Love Music Hate Racism" after a controversy is brewing and promising to provide space in your advertisements and booths at your gigs prove? If he had done it last year, it would prove a lot. Doing it this week just proves he wants to suck up to an anti-racist group after a magazine accused him of being racist. In his favor, he has endorsed this group before, so it's not really the equivalent of Don Imus running to appear on the Al Sharpton Show. But the larger steps he's doing to show his support are all after the controversy erupted.

Most of what I'm writing here is not intended as an attack on Morrissey, but just to offer something other than the fawning over the statement that many of his most worshipful fans are engaging in. The statement's agenda is primarily focused on Morrissey telling the NME that he thinks they have been wrecked and making sure his current views on the music press and the music industry (two topics that are most important to him) are part of Morrissey's record, not on making his views on immigration clearer. He also engages in some personal attacks on Tim Jonze that are amusing but don't amount to much. It's not actually a crime to not know one of Morrissey's favorite Bowie songs, though no doubt Morrissey thinks it is.

Theo, you raise an excellent point.

Morrissey's rebuke of the NME in his statement is more aimed at their credentials as an editorial, and less a defense, continuation, elaboration on those views he originally issued. On the one hand, we cannot blame Morrissey for this: given the knee-jerk reaction of many people in relation to the immigration question, Morrissey is probably concious now of not allowing himself to be sucked into a political debate on immigration.

On the other hand, it was incredibly niave of Morrissey to have thought the NME interview was an appropriate place for such discussion: not only given the apparent infantile nature of the interviewer, but for the bitter history shared between the two parties over the same "racist" question.

The NME however, have commited a worse offense. They have malinged their subject through the partial-falsification of an article. The issue, when it comes to court, wont be Morrissey's supposed racism, it will be, and should be, the NME's libellious harrasment of Morrissey. However, we should not overlook the fact that Morrissey demonstrated poor judgement in his decision to issue such statements in light of his relationship with the magazine. It is the latter that I believe will muddy the issue when it comes to legal proceedings.

Theo - your post has really worried me cos you make some strong points.

The statement is beautifully written and funny - clearly he is explaining the context of the state of the NME and his relationship with it to explain how and why the NME might have had a prearranged agenda to "fit him up". Can this line of argument stand up in court? I dont know.

But the title of the piece is Morrissey condemns racism.
He says: I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind and will not let this pass without being absolutely clear and emphatic with regard to what my position is.

Racism is beyond common sense and I believe it has no place in our society.

And he goes on to say: All of the people I spoke to Tim about in the interview who are heroes to me and who are Middle-Eastern or of other ethnic backgrounds

But where does it "prove" Morrissey is not racist? Well its not really possible to prove that one way or another is it? So if this gets to court the basis of the argument will be that Morrissey is suing the NME for saying he is racist and thereby defaming his character. He is saying he is not and is therefore due compensation. How does a court make a decision on this?

Sure we all know Morrissey isnt a racist - he just yearns for an Englishness that has disappeared from our culture - but how is it proved?

The case won't be able whether he is a racist or not, seeing as the NME never said he was.

The case will be based on whether they changed the interview to imply things that were untrue in order to defame his character, or whether their editorial was fair comment in the light of his statements.

I still think he will find it hard to win this in court. He should have talked about his views on immigration in his statement. That's what most people have been arguing about.

I seem to be the only soul to think Morrissey's statement is pretty weak

I think it's pretty weak on the central point. But in a way, I don't know if there is anything he can say to appease people.

I think his position on immigration is fairly clear. He can see the pros and cons of it, but for him personally it has meant things he loved about his country have been lost. He doesn't call for anything to be done about this however, and sees the contradiction in his situation because he travels the world.

However, this is not going to satisfy anyone. He has to make a statement saying he has no problem with immigration and it's a totally wonderful thing to mollify those against him. And he's not going to do that, because he doesn't believe it.

He still should have said something about it though. Maybe using Joni Mitchel's line might have been effective: "Something's lost and something's gained."

I do not mean to be rude to Tim Jonze, but when I first caught sight of him I assumed that someone had brought their child along to the interview. The runny nose told the whole story. Conor had assured that Tim was their best writer. Talking behind his hands in an endless fidget

that statement , just makes me think that the NME is run by columbian drug dealers

how else can you explain week in week out drug references, the journalisim that praises the amount of coke bands can take but on the other had slag off the drug addled petes and amys , then hold them up as heros

obviously tim has cold and thats why his nose runs .... i think not

roll on the court case and the rehab

...and Tim replied “Oh, I don't know anything about David Bowie.”

That has got to be the best bit, thanks Moz.

Morrissey's statement gave me strength today to overcome the spineless person who is trying to make my life a misery. It gave me the strength to stick to my guns and to stand up for what I believe in.
I was so down, and then his statement just picked me so far up.
So thank you.

...and Tim replied “Oh, I don't know anything about David Bowie.”

That has got to be the best bit, thanks Moz.

I agree, this made me laugh like a drain. I thought the statement was good. Okay, it wasn't groundbreaking but what is he meant to do? He's been stiched up and he is dealing with that as best he can. Mozzle knows his hardcore fans don't think he is racist and that they won't abandon the Godfather of Indie over an article by some jumped up, snotting nosed oink of a journalist. :)

He didn't really address the issue, did he? Why didn't he explain what he meant by his statements? He's allowed the NME another opening to say, "See? He can't even justify his anti-immigration comments - all he can do is blather on about how he dislikes the modern NME." I don't understand him sometimes... he makes it so hard for himself!

He didn't really address the issue, did he? Why didn't he explain what he meant by his statements? He's allowed the NME another opening to say, "See? He can't even justify his anti-immigration comments - all he can do is blather on about how he dislikes the modern NME." I don't understand him sometimes... he makes it so hard for himself!

Précisement. That's why I called him childish. But let's face it, we all love him precisely because he's childish (some would call it "artistic"), regardless of what repercussions it may have for him personally. He's kinda like that brilliant but exasperating relative we all have, except that he warrants a frink thread, and I hope that you don't have a frink thread for your relative.

Well, we still don't know exactly what it was he actually said. His words have allegedly been cut and pasted and restrung to change their meaning. As far as I can see, he's still resting on his allegation that his words were inoffensive and were inaccurately reported, and that he therefore has nothing to explain or apologize for.

It's very hard to defend yourself against a charge of racism, just being accused of being racist is damaging. Because once the idea has been put forth, there is no amount of denial that can erase the idea from some people's minds. And this is why, I would guess, that it's been decided to pursue legal action. While we all know his position on racism, it's possible that being painted as one may have damaged his image in the public eye.

Viva Morrissey...

Last edited:
The primary purpose of Morrissey's statement is an opportunity to state his views about the decline of the NME as a magazine he used to regard as one of the best. He has a long history with the NME going back to his childhood and apparently it's vitally important to him to go at length about how the magazine has gone down the tubes.

I've never thought Morrissey is a racist and it's unfair for him to be labeled one. Being labeled a racist is one of the most terrible things a person can be branded with (if you agree with me that being a racist is one of the stupidest things in the world). One of the reasons it's so unjust to label someone a racist without a sound basis is because once the media label you as such it tends to follow you around forever even if it is absolutely untrue.

But over the years Morrissey has had a lot of strong feelings boiling up inside him about immigration and foreign influence in Britain, and this does relate to race. His statement doesn't make anything clearer about such things. ...

Brilliant statement, Theo - I agree 100%. Morrissey totally misses the point with his, "I like foreign singers and actors therefore I'm not racist" shtick. I'm sure there are loads of racists in America who listen to Beyonce and who watch Oprah too. Back in the day, Lena Horne was invited to play at hotels in front of crowds of white people who adored her performance, but then she wasn't allowed to stay in the hotel because she was black. What Morrissey said proves absolutely nothing... and gives the NME plenty of ammo for another attack.

HAHAHAHA! That was truly a great read. I couldn't have possibly hoped for a better statement! I was a little unsure where he was going at first, as judging from the first three paragraphs, I thought Mozzer had decided to go the "racism is bad, I just don't quite understand it" route. This worried me, as I had already scrolled down the page to see the length of the statement and if it was going to solely be a denial of being a racist, I thought I was in for a looooong read.
Of course, I should have had more faith that Morrissey wouldn't waste a terrrific opportunity like this by merely going on the defensive. And of course, true to his genius nature, his wit soon came through in shining colors. As soon as I read the line:
I had no reason whatsoever to assume that they could be anything other than devious, truculent and unreliable.
Who other than Moz could manage to turn that 'devious, truculent and unreliable' line on its head and use it to attack another party? I felt like he was giving all of his loyal fans an little nudge and a wink and I knew I was in for a hell of a read. :D
As I proceeded to read the rest of the statement from that point on I either had a huge smile on my face or was laughing out loud in my office. From his praising the importance of the original NME in his life to lamenting it's downfall and current place in the industry to his brief account of the Jonze interview,
The "new" NME strikes again. Oh dear, I thought, not again.
hahaha!
Morrissey displayed why he is a true literary genius...to be able to reply with such wit and style as to make something as ordinary as a press statement come across like a work of art and still be able to completely get his point across.
This little press statement is the perfect example of why I have such admiration for the man!

Last edited:
I seem to be the only soul to think Morrissey's statement is pretty weak

It was fun to read and a lot more satisfying than his 'If I'm racist than the Pope is female'-quip in 1992, but still it poses a lot more questions than it answers, the beggest one being: If the NME is such a dead corpse and has been since the 90s than why does he want to be associated with them by giving them a front cover interview!?

I hope he changes his mind about taking them to court, as he obviously doesn't stand a chance.

This was brilliant! Extremely well written. Sometimes I suspect Moz doesn't know what he's talking about but this silenced my doubts good and proper.

Is it in today's Guardian or tomorrow's?

GO MOZ.
this is the wittiest thing ive read in ages.

how can we not win against the enemie?

(hang on hows it become 'we'? lol)

Well, we still don't know exactly what it was he actually said. His words have allegedly been cut and pasted and restrung to change their meaning. As far as I can see, he's still resting on his allegation that his words were inoffensive and were inaccurately reported, and that he therefore has nothing to explain or apologize for.

He seems to be arguing that they changed their questions to him, such as changing "you sound like my parents" to "you sound like a Tory" - but he doesn't seem to be disputing that he said what he said. He just doesn't think it was offensive. I don't think it's offensive either, but some people do - and that's why the NME has an opening to attack him.

Ah well, another day, another controversy. All is well in Morrisseyland.

Back
Top Bottom