Morrissey's "Vauxhall and I" at 20 - The Mouth Magazine

Alain wrote songs for Vauxhall & I, he was also there , how can the 3 ignoring him?

I can understand that the inteviewer just talked with Boz, Bridgewood and Taylor about their
point of vieuw and own story about the masterpiece album,you're right about that

let's say, Alain's name will never disapear on lots of albums as co writer.

'and they say he's mentall' .... no one can hold a candle, but I do...

I agree. Why couldn't they bring Alain to interview too? Do they really hate each other?

I also wonder why Morrissey hasn't reissued the album this year for the 20th? Even if it was just a quick remaster (which we all hope for!)

Wonderful Moz article but I must say something about the whole Madstock incident that never gets said.

A fairly decent amount of the Madness audience, historically, have been skinheads. And I mean in those days, in the 80s, the real ones - NF supporters, and worse. I know this because a friend of mine is a former neo-Nazi skinhead and he considered the NF to be not extreme enough! (That's another story, he turned his back on it a long time ago)

Anyway, far-right supporters, including the NF, thought Moz was a pansy Commie. They hated him. They did not cheer him or appreciate what he was doing. Which was, in essence, adding a homoerotic subtext to their lives. When Moz played Madstock and waved that flag he was wearing a gold lame shirt! The skinheads went crazy and tried to storm the stage, pelting him with bottles.

This idea that somehow he was expressing interest, at best, or solidarity, at worst, with the far-right is utter, utter, utter guff. What he did on that day was a queer provocative act, if you ask me. He was baiting the Madness audience and they hated him for it.

I feel better getting that out!

Yes but if you want to go back to "actual" real skinheads then they wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near the National Front, or any other similar bunch of morons.

- marred.

Great read, very interesting to hear the story directly from those involved in the making of this wonderful album.
Listening to "Vauxhall and I" as I type. :guitar:
I'm listening to it as well! Fantastic album!

- - - Updated - - -

A very enjoyable read. The article is also a very big reminder of the major song writing contribution from Boz Boorer. For all the criticism of Jesse Tobias (some of whose songs I really like) here's hoping that Boz can contribute co-writes of the quality of "Now My Heart Is Full", "The More You Ignore Me..." and "Speedway" on the new album.

Think I will put "Vauxhall & I" on this afternoon and wish for the definitive remaster is released sooner rather than later.
Amen to *that*, brother!

Last edited:
I thought everyone knew Billy Bud(the song) was about Johnny Marr :confused:
the Penguin classic(book) is sitting on my desk right this very minute
and yeah, still liked the article :thumb:
&
Wonderful Moz article but I must say something about the whole Madstock incident that never gets said.

A fairly decent amount of the Madness audience, historically, have been skinheads. And I mean in those days, in the 80s, the real ones - NF supporters, and worse. I know this because a friend of mine is a former neo-Nazi skinhead and he considered the NF to be not extreme enough! (That's another story, he turned his back on it a long time ago)

Anyway, far-right supporters, including the NF, thought Moz was a pansy Commie. They hated him. They did not cheer him or appreciate what he was doing. Which was, in essence, adding a homoerotic subtext to their lives. When Moz played Madstock and waved that flag he was wearing a gold lame shirt! The skinheads went crazy and tried to storm the stage, pelting him with bottles.

This idea that somehow he was expressing interest, at best, or solidarity, at worst, with the far-right is utter, utter, utter guff. What he did on that day was a queer provocative act, if you ask me. He was baiting the Madness audience and they hated him for it.

just read this, reminds of something similar told to me by someone supposedly there all those years ago
this rings to for me as well, especially since to me, its always been a given that there is a "homoerotic" element to almost any rabid right wing movement :eek:
neo-nazis especially :cool:

Last edited:
Personally, Vauxhall and I is my favorite Morrissey album. I liked the article, despite the errors. It's nice to get a little insight to the making of the album. And I love the Morrissey quote, "Peace came at last with Vauxhall and I, streaming out in a lavish flow and leaving me stupid with smiles. Vauxhall and I is an arm held out, and ushering others to join – even though its singer has feelings impossible to satisfy…"

I also wonder why Morrissey hasn't reissued the album this year for the 20th? Even if it was just a quick remaster (which we all hope for!)

seems you posted a mere one day too early to get resolution to your hopes...

I couldn't agree more with your analysis of Morrissey's 'Madstock Moment'-whilst he was being pelted with pound coins and the odd bottle from the far-right faction of the audience, his handling of the Union flag can be seen as an inclusive gesture rather than an exclusive one. Morrissey, embodying a Queer form of masculinity (regardless of his actual 'sexual orientation') seemed to be reclaiming British identity from fascist, heterosexist thugs and expanding it to create a broader definition of Englishness. Whilst the Union flag definitely has dodgy undertones precisely because of its association with movements such as the NF, its use as a symbol by someone like Morrissey should go some way to undermining those connotations, rather than suggesting that Morrissey himself is in any way sympathetic to them.

Back
Top Bottom