Musical 'lift' in '...Paris'?

Bill Zero

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the intros to 'Listen People' by Herman and the Hermits and 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' bear a certain family resemblance. And, as we know, Moz has some 'previous' with H&theH's.

Sorry, I don't have the file to link to, but you can stream the track at both Spotify and we7.

Yeas it does for the opening ten seconds, then they both go their seperate ways....can i just ask wat previous moz has had wth the hermits?

Never mind Ride. Girl Least Likely To is EXACTLY the same as Only To Other People by sixties girl group The Cookies (who also did I Want A Boy as covered by The Smiths, so more than coincidence).

:doh: How have I not noticed that?!

Listen People by Herman's Hermits
http://www.4shared.com/download/385...ermits_-_Hit_History_-_14_-_Listen_People.mp3
I can see a little similarity.

Someone else has mentioned that it's like This Must Be The Place by Talking Heads too.

Last edited:
While we're at it, Yes I Am Blind has the same structure and part of the same tune as Nothing Rhymed by Gilbert O'Sullivan, which has also been covered by Moz. Also, Such A Little Thing is an almost complete lift of Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth by Sparks. I did a compilation of these 'influences' a while back.

Peter

I did a compilation of these 'influences' a while back.

Peter[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to see that. Could you post it somewhere?

There's a lot of coverage of Morrissey's lyrical quotes from books, movies etc, but I think he uses musical 'quotes' just as much.

I always wonder how they come about. Does he just tell his co-writer (eg Andy Rourke gor Girl Least Likely To), "Don't bother writing an original song, just rip off 'Only To Other People'."

Back
Top Bottom