My personal favourite performance of a song ever.

You're right. It is an incredible performance.

My favourite live Smiths performance is of (also my favourite song) William, It Was Really Nothing from Apollo theatre in -85. I love the intro with the prominent bass guitarr, and the thing that Morrissey says. "Hello. We're the other funny Mancherster group". You know the Peel version of William.. ? That used to be my favourite version, because the second time Morrissey sings 'rain' he goes up a bit more than usual! It's small, but in a 2:09 song i makes all the difference. But this live version even beats that version.

I'm 18, so it's a bootleg I've heard it on.

My favourite live Smiths performance is of (also my favourite song) William, It Was Really Nothing from Apollo theatre in -85. I love the intro with the prominent bass guitarr, and the thing that Morrissey says. "Hello. We're the other funny Mancherster group". You know the Peel version of William.. ? That used to be my favourite version, because the second time Morrissey sings 'rain' he goes up a bit more than usual! It's small, but in a 2:09 song i makes all the difference. But this live version even beats that version.

I'm 18, so it's a bootleg I've heard it on.

That is on the CD bootleg 'Before love' and has live material, including the soundcheck of Purple Haze at Glasgow Barrowlands (16/07/86).

And has the vid been taken down yet due to copyright violations? :D

Steve is a fantastic piano player. Many of Elvis Costello's songs wouldn't have been nearly as memorable, musically, at least, without his contributions. I've been hunting for years for the limited edition 5 CD set of just Steve & Declan playing live.

Oh, that one is a beaut! It goes for a pretty penny nowadays. I had the pleasure of borrowing it from a friend about a year or two before I got a CD burner and, at the time, I didn't want to take the time to dub it on cassette. Oops. Double-oops: I had tickets to his first tour with the Impostors (two-thirds of the original Attractions) and gave them away b/c I had a conflict--which was later rescheduled. I missed out on two hours and 45 minutes of Costello classics.

I remember an outstanding themed medley that included Clowntime is Over and ended with the old Motown song No More Tear-Stained Make-Up. Made my neck hair stand on end.

Do you favor a particular Elvis period or set of albums? I profess a preference for the albums including the Attractions--a tighter, more proficient band hardly ever existed. I lean towards This Year's Model, Get Happy!! and Imperial Bedroom as favorites. Until Morrissey arose, Elvis was unmatched as a lyricist in those awkwards years transitioning from punk into the overblown Eighties.

Cheers,

Jamie

Do you favor a particular Elvis period or set of albums? I profess a preference for the albums including the Attractions--a tighter, more proficient band hardly ever existed. I lean towards This Year's Model, Get Happy!! and Imperial Bedroom as favorites. Until Morrissey arose, Elvis was unmatched as a lyricist in those awkwards years transitioning from punk into the overblown Eighties.

I didn't start listening to EC seriously until Morrissey's wilderness years, but once I started, I snapped up everything in a very short period of time and listened to little else for a couple years. Trust and Get Happy!! are the ones that I reach for most often, but I listen to just about everything up through Blood and Chocolate regularly. "Shipbuilding" is his finest song, bar none, IMHO--which gets this thread back on topic, since it's my absolute favorite Steve Nieve performance.

We had an Elvis Costello thread a few months ago; maybe it's been archived due to lack of activity.

this one of Jack the Ripper, from Introducing Morrissey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soqoh9lTe94
The intro is just amazing. Watching videos of recent performances of this song however, ive noticed that the intro is much weaker. can anybody who has seen it live (lucky devil) tell me if this is true or just the bad recording?

Back
Top Bottom