NME nominates Morrissey as one of “the coolest artists of all time”

the_kaz

I never expected to see the NME put Morrissey under a good light ever again, but they've proved me wrong by including him at the end of their list of the “coolest artists of all time” on their website:

“The fact the former Smiths man has done so much to outrage the guardians of 'coolness' over the years paradoxically just make him even cooler. More than just a great lyricist, at his best Morrissey extends the noble line of English bathos and disappointment initiated by TS Eliot and Philip Larkin.”

Unsurprisingly, considering how much NME have been showering him with praise since he decided to join The Cribs, Johnny Marr was also included:

“What makes the former Smiths guitarist so cool is his willingness to engage with a new generation of music fans, rather than coast on former glories.”

http://www.nme.com/photos/627/photo-gallery-who-are-the-coolest-artists-of-all-time

I never expected to see the NME put Morrissey under a good light ever again, but they've proved me wrong by including him at the end of their list of the “coolest artists of all time” on their website:

“The fact the former Smiths man has done so much to outrage the guardians of 'coolness' over the years paradoxically just make him even cooler. More than just a great lyricist, at his best Morrissey extends the noble line of English bathos and disappointment initiated by TS Eliot and Philip Larkin.”

Unsurprisingly, considering how much NME have been showering him with praise since he decided to join The Cribs, Johnny Marr was also included:

“What makes the former Smiths guitarist so cool is his willingness to engage with a new generation of music fans, rather than coast on former glories.”

http://www.nme.com/photos/627/photo-gallery-who-are-the-coolest-artists-of-all-time

A pathetic and desperate attempt to get him back on their side. I hate the NME for what they did. I don't give a toss if they decide he's cool. I'm capable of making that decision myself. Gutter press is all they'll ever be now, sadly. It stopped being about the music long ago.

The idea of "coolness" is for fifteen year old indie boys, which is just right for the NME's market I suppose.

Remember, Kaz, that the NME is just a collection of journalists, not a single entity. Many of them (e.g. Mark Beaumont) would have been mortified at the immigration stitch-up issue, as indeed Tim Jonze initially claimed to be ("for reasons I'll never understand my piece has been re-written" were the words, paraphrased, in his email to Merck) until he was told to tow the line.
They gave a fantastic review to the Roundhouse show in January, and that was after legal action had begun, and they continue to report all the latest Moz news on their website.
It was an editorial decision by McNicholas. Many of their journalists remain big Moz fans and will be looking forward to the new stuff as much as we are.

Not sure how right I am with this, but I believe the NME website is written by entirely different people to the magazine. In fact, I think most things about it are different.

But I could be wrong.

They are obviously desperate to get Morrissey's name in anyway possible on their mag or website.

Quite simply pathetic. The majority of the 'cool list' are usually on never mind the buzzcocks and are incredibly thick and dull and hang with that sad 'camden crowd' that have bigger egos than most.

Morrissey left the NME behind a long time ago. They're beneath him now. Way way beneath him.

Does anyone else interpret the comparison with TS Eliot and Philip Larkin as an obvious dig at Moz being a racist?

arrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Does anyone else interpret the comparison with TS Eliot and Philip Larkin as an obvious dig at Moz being a racist?

Typical NME!

This only makes me hate them more.

Last edited:

That's exactly what I thought. It's a clever way of having a dig, as you say, that they would say implies nothing more that artistic comparison, but they could have chosen a whole load of others.

Peter

That's exactly what I thought. It's a clever way of having a dig, as you say, that they would say implies nothing more that artistic comparison, but they could have chosen a whole load of others.

Peter

Uh-oh, paranoid Morrissey fans alert!
To the large majority of people, a comparison with Eliot or Larkin would simple be considered a big poetic compliment.
As I've alredy said, there's been plenty of positivity towards Moz since the immigration interview thing in the NME. Loads of flattering comparisons in reviews. He continues to be a hugely important act in the NME world and always will.
The stitch-up decision was taken by McNicholas. It is him (or even he), and not the NME generally who you should be extremely wary of!

Uh-oh, paranoid Morrissey fans alert!
To the large majority of people, a comparison with Eliot or Larkin would simple be considered a big poetic compliment.
As I've alredy said, there's been plenty of positivity towards Moz since the immigration interview thing in the NME. Loads of flattering comparisons in reviews. He continues to be a hugely important act in the NME world and always will.
The stitch-up decision was taken by McNicholas. It is him (or even he), and not the NME generally who you should be extremely wary of!

Paranoid?
If you're intelligent enough, you are able to understand what actually they mean.

NME could've compared Morrissey with some other poets, but they do with TS Eliot and Larkin which isn't very nice.

Paranoid?
If you're intelligent enough, you are able to understand what actually they mean.

NME could've compared Morrissey with some other poets, but they do with TS Eliot and Larkin which isn't very nice.

???

How can being compared to two of the geatest 20th Century poets be anything other than the greatest praise?

And even the Uncut-review of The Sound of the Smiths compared Moz to Larkin.

Well, I'm not intelligent, so I looked it up.

Philip Larkin:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18715

T.S. Eliot:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9807E7DC1330F935A25750C0A961958260

NME are being smart asses. There readership consists of kids under 18, so they won't question it.

I like the work of these men. Morrissey is a great artist as well. He is flawed, but no where close in philosophy as these guys.

Different world, different era.

Re-reading the quote again, they seem to be comparing Morrissey's lyrics about loss and disappointment with these guys, who have dealt with the same theme in their work.

I smell a symposium paper in this comparison.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty obvious they are having a dig. People have compared him to Larkin before but not Eliot. They could have mentioned other writers such as Betjeman or Bennett but the ones they chose were deliberate imo.

Re: NME nominates Morrissey as one of “the coolest artists of all time”

I think it's pretty obvious they are having a dig. People have compared him to Larkin before but not Eliot. They could have mentioned other writers such as Betjeman or Bennett but the ones they chose were deliberate imo.
Yes, and there's a reason why he hasn't been compared to Eliot before... There's not much similarity between his lyrics and Eliot's poetry, not that I've noticed, anyway. :confused:

Thing is, they probably think they are really clever for doing this. I can just imagine them all chortling away in the editorial meeting like a load of sixth formers congratulating themselves on how well read and knowledgeable they are because they've heard of TS Eliot and what's more, have a vague idea that he was a bit dodgy. :D

Back
Top Bottom