Official Manager Statement regarding Morrissey’s health (January 26, 2024)

D6F4A7EB-137A-4C94-842C-C316837ACEA1.jpeg

NealCassady posted news of South America cancellation:

UPDATE 1:50PM PT:

Mexico City cancellation notice posted by On Returning.

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it so difficult for us to take some news like this at face value and respect the privacy of this human being named Morrissey?
When someone has as much previous form for flaking out of shows as Morrissey, and the venue ticket sales were so poor that the venues were going to be half-empty despite offering 2-for-1 deals and giving away batches for free in local competitions, then it's not surprising that some of us catch the faint aroma of 'total bullsh*t' when offered an explanation like 'physical exhaustion'. :poop:o_O

Ah, the late Mark E. Smith. Even when desperately ill, never let his fans down.

Actually MES did cancel gigs near the end. I have a clear memory of seeing a poster for what would have been the last show, thinking "you won't be making that, not the way you're going"... and he didn't.

The last time I saw M live was one of the Roundhouse gigs, 22nd Jan 2008. The next day I went to hospital to do some tests my GP had referred me for. On the 25th I had an urgent phone call to come in for more tests overnight, and on the 26th I was told I had leukaemia. That was the start of a long period of not being able to do things because of medication and weakness and being a bit befuddled due to both those things.

I got better, I got back to seeing other gigs. The last time I could have seen M was when he was playing Hammersmith Apollo about 10 years ago, I was literally living just up the road at that time, but I just wasn't interested in the setlists. YOR was his last great album (especially the bits previewed at the Roundhouse shows), half of WPINOYB was very good but the other half was retreading old ideas.

I hope M stays well and comfortable as long as he can but - I know from experience - you have to know when you can't carry on like before. It's better to adjust to it than to keep having more and more problems, and expecting other people to deal with the fall out when it goes wrong.

Morrissey alluded to a physical problem in recent years when he opened his concert in Brooklyn on 30 November 2022 by singing "I lost my voice in San Franciso" (to the tune of I Left My Heart In San Francisco) , which I took as an explanation for the cancellation of five concerts between Brooklyn and the San Francisco one. I was wondering how he'd manage to sing something with high notes such as Come Back To Camden nowadays, so if he's been rehearsing for the upcoming tour it might have caused a strain.

I didn't take the Central message from Paris 'Doing Nothing' literally but as a reference to a Gertrude Stein quote 'It takes a lot of time to be a genius, you have to sit around so much doing nothing, really doing nothing'.

SACK DONNIE KNUTSON.

Absolute blunt and shite statement.

Diva Steve is now finished. It’s over and done with now. The treatment given to a supporting loyal fan base has been beyond shocking.
Its now got to the point that absolutely nothing can be believed that comes from Camp Steve.

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

So what was it then?

Dengue, "unforeseen events", physical exhaustion ...

So many lies, such disregard for all the people who actually matter. Don't bother booking gigs anymore. It would be much more honorable.
for someone who has posted 65 times since 2012 and yet you are on a roll and cant stop posting,do you only write stuff when he cancels.

this has happened before,he spent time in a spa in scotland,remember he signed the visitors book and there was a photo of it on here.

One can be angry and disappointed at Morrissey, but sometimes I can’t help but think that you don’t behave the way he does unless something is seriously wrong. He’s had a dreadful ten years or so. Of course it takes its toll.

I wish him the best and that he gets his stuff in order.

for someone who has posted 65 times since 2012 and yet you are on a roll and cant stop posting,do you only write stuff when he cancels.

I think I’d be pretty pissed off if he cancelled a show I had tickets for and then cancelled the rescheduled show I had kept those tickets for.

The other thing that is so odd about this statement - it is from Morrissey's manager, Morrissey's tour manager indeed, and yet nowhere does it mention the upcoming tour, or express any sentiment towards the thousands of devoted Latino fans who will have bought tickets. Some sites are still selling tickets for the shows in South America. I wonder what percentage of a monthly salary is a ticket to see Morrissey in South America? The statement from Ocesa just mentioned the Mexico City show being cancelled. The tour seems to have been cancelled via a headline in a Tweet from Pogopedia. This isn't management - this is a PR disaster.

I don't see a whole lot of news stories about this, seems the press is tired of him too.
If you google Morrissey physical exhaustion it is being widely reported on news sites here in the UK. It is clear though that there has been no official statement cancelling the South American tour. And those were dates that were rescheduled from a previous cancellation. God, this is an odd way for what purports to be your management to behave.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom