Official Manager Statement regarding Morrissey’s health (January 26, 2024)

D6F4A7EB-137A-4C94-842C-C316837ACEA1.jpeg

NealCassady posted news of South America cancellation:

UPDATE 1:50PM PT:

Mexico City cancellation notice posted by On Returning.

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't recall many Smiths stories but I remember when Johnny was discussing that pub meet in 2008 - he said he thought they might stay a few hours but they stayed all day (a good sign) which meant lots of orange juice for him, lots of pints for Moz. JM was proud that he had become a lot healthier since his own boozing days and a lot fitter. And though he was very polite, I remember thinking that he seemed shocked by how much M had knocked back.
I believe the old Private Eye phrase is 'tired and emotional'

It's so sad to see. I've heard from people who know him better than I do that it's been a problem for many years now. It's not the right frame of mind to make precipitous, calamitous decisions. At some point you've got to say - is this sustainable? And it isn't.

One can only hope Mr Knutson has grabbed him by the shoulders, looked him in the bleary eyes, and said "This has got to stop", hence the euphemistically phrased 'physical exhaustion'.

His plutomania, his addictive nature, his insularity - have all driven him down several dark rabbit holes, and have destroyed his career by differing methods.

Last edited:
Can't recall many Smiths stories but I remember when Johnny was discussing that pub meet in 2008 - he said he thought they might stay a few hours but they stayed all day (a good sign) which meant lots of orange juice for him, lots of pints for Moz. JM was proud that he had become a lot healthier since his own boozing days and a lot fitter. And though he was very polite, I remember thinking that he seemed shocked by how much M had knocked back.
That one too, yes.
But Johnny also said that he was drinking heavily at the time of the Smiths, and when asked about Morrissey, he answered that Morrissey was drinking red wine after the gigs. No mention of vodka at the time.
To be frank, I admire Johnny for tackling his developping addictions heads on and early on, and for sustaining an extremely healthy lifestyle ever since. It really helps to extend your career as a performer. I am hoping that Morrissey would belatedly manage something similar, but it may well be too much to expect from him.

Morrissey clearly battles with a lot of psychological demons, and always has done - and that's where so much of his greatness has stemmed from. If one of his ways of dealing with that is alcohol, he'll get no judgment from me: he's already left us with enough brilliant music to last many, many lifetimes.

Of course I'd love it if he can sort himself out (whatever's going on) and continue performing and recording for another 10 years or more, but...we'll just have to wait and see.

Rewatch this and you’ll see that he’s not the person the toxic weirdos purport him to be.

He appears a lovely and honest person who, as we all do in life, wants to keep what’s his and what he’s worked hard for without every Tom, Dick and Harry zapping at his pockets. The toxic workforce could be a bravado for the stuff he doesn’t want to do hence the utterly vulgar and vile Donnie Knutjob, because M is light years away from such ‘personas’.

YATQ wasn’t to be this time and while bitterly disappointing, it’s not done with nasty intentions.

Rest easy, get some vitamins and fresh air away from lowlife and we hope to see you in the UK soon. 🖤

Last edited:
sunday morning excuses.
hes a raging alcoholic.
vaping is to blame.
his flares are to blame.

god give me strength on a sunday morning.
But Gordy people are worried, confused & angry. These are the only clues we have to his condition - apart from the ones in plain sight in practically every song he's ever sung.
Personally I think the flares are irrelevant. Only issue I ever had was them getting tangled up in my bicycle pedals/chainwheel, circa 1970.

Is Zurich known for specialization for any specific ailments, that one might go there for a cure?
Just to add - over the years many famous people have made Switzerland their home. Tina Turner, of course. Both Bowie and Iggy lived there for a while. Freddie Mercury. Aubrey Hepburn is buried there. As is Charles Chaplin. David Niven. Richard Burton. And in Zurich no less, you will find the grave of James Joyce, Ireland's most famous literary exile, set in rather majestic surroundings. Well worth a visit.

1706447168264.png

Rewatch this and you’ll see that he’s not the person the toxic weirdos purport him to be...

Yes that was a lovely interview. I think he shines when chatting to just the right person without an agenda. The contrast to the ones with people like Jools & Jonathan Ross - where he looks so uncomfortable and wary of being laughed at. Or worse still that awkward One-Show disaster where he sent them into meltdown by being honest about not wanting a "normal" job.

Obs it can be worse if it's too gushing, but the above proves it can work.

At least he never went for one of Roland Rivron's hazardous interviews in the Thames:

Yes that was a lovely interview. I think he shines when chatting to just the right person without an agenda. The contrast to the ones with people like Jools & Jonathan Ross - where he looks so uncomfortable and wary of being laughed at. Or worse still that awkward One-Show disaster where he sent them into meltdown by being honest about not wanting a "normal" job.

Obs in can be worse if it's too gushing, but the above proves it can work.

At least he never went for one of Roland Rivron's hazardous interviews in the Thames:

Or the Larry King one where he was clearly extremely drunk

That one too, yes.
But Johnny also said that he was drinking heavily at the time of the Smiths, and when asked about Morrissey, he answered that Morrissey was drinking red wine after the gigs. No mention of vodka at the time.
To be frank, I admire Johnny for tackling his developping addictions heads on and early on, and for sustaining an extremely healthy lifestyle ever since. It really helps to extend your career as a performer. I am hoping that Morrissey would belatedly manage something similar, but it may well be too much to expect from him.
Not saying, Moz is an alcoholic, because we don't know that. Just because he drinks alcohol, when he's out and about (ok and occasionally on airplanes, lol), doesn't mean he is an alcoholic, otherwise more or less all of us would be. I think, people have an unnatural focus on that with him, because somehow a lot of people seem to think he's that pure human with no vices. So that's not really evidence for him being an alcoholic to me. But it's obvious, that something is wrong with him and causing that erratic behaviour. So if true and its a problem in the day to day life, I hope he gets help.

But re:Johnny above: let's not forget that it got really really bad, before he stopped. I read an unusual honest interview with him by Dave Haslam from 92 or 93 I think, where he repeatedly said, that he nearly died or would have died if he didnt leave the band and the stress and that his family was really really concerned about his health. I haven't read any other interview, where he states it that drastically. And I mean he also wrecked his car under the influence and survived out of pure luck. (To me it gives a whole other spin on "Angel, don't take your life" and "I love you more than life", but I digress...). What I meant is, as with all addicts (or nearly addicts) there has to be an absolute low point for them to change and stop.

Not saying, Moz is an alcoholic, because we don't know that. Just because he drinks alcohol...
But re:Johnny... And I mean he also wrecked his car under the influence and survived out of pure luck...
Yeah that car crash was just so shocking. Many seem to have to get to rock bottom before turning things around.

I think he vapes too and a Vicks inhaler is for your nose, lol, as I am sure you know. Those flares tho.....
It most certainly is. I don't know why people thought that it works by sucking on it. Some people just have an aversion to the truth. They'll avoid it any way they can even if it makes them look like imbeciles, lol.

Hold on, I'm sure I can think of a reason

Uh... Freud... um... Damon... uh... pen

Oh whatever, It's a vape, he vapes, it's on video, who cares if he vapes! It's weird he is avoiding saying it's a vape - the fact he felt the need to flat out deny it makes me believe it's a vape even more
I couldn't agree with you more. He felt more inclined to make sure we knew it wasn't a vape than explaining any of the bullshit that has been happening. He doesn't want us to think that he vapes, for some reason.

I don't care if he vapes either. It's his prerogative but it's funny how quickly he "set the record straight" on that matter. Yep, the denial backfired for me too.

Last edited:
That one too, yes.
I'm not sure. I think they both have quite obsessive personalities. they never do anything by halves - so when Johnny drank, he was sinking whole bottles of Rémy Martin, brandy and coke, etc... and then a switch went on in his head and he completely overhauled his lifestyle to an almost fanatical degree. He swapped one obsession for another.

I do believe that part of Moz is the same, but maybe his situation isn't. It's probably easier to quit the booze if you're drinking for fun, for example. Moz, I dare say, more likely drinks to self-medicate for depression and social anxiety etc and replacing that crutch is not as easy.

I recently watched the Ronnie O'Sullivan documentary and it was interesting how much he also turned to running, nutrition and fitness as a way of helping him give up addictions. I'm not being dramatic in saying that it seemed like running saved his life, it gave him a new focus. There are probably all kinds of reasons that people run, of course, but... interesting.

Last edited:
I used to be a heavy drinker too, an alcoholic to be precise, but then I realized that this can't go on. My health and sanity were starting to fail me and I am over a decade younger than Morrissey is. I would love to say that I'm totally sober now, but there have been a couple of relapses, so I can't. Anyway, despite them I am feeling 100 % more healthier and energetic. I am not in the position to diagnose Morrissey's problem, but whatever it is, I do hope he'll take the rest of the year off, lay low and recuperate without booking any more tours he can't perform.

I used to be a heavy drinker too, an alcoholic to be precise, but then I realized that this can't go on. My health and sanity were starting to fail me and I am over a decade younger than Morrissey is. I would love to say that I'm totally sober now, but there have been a couple of relapses, so I can't. Anyway, despite them I am feeling 100 % more healthier and energetic. I am not in the position to diagnose Morrissey's problem, but whatever it is, I do hope he'll take the rest of the year off, lay low and recuperate without booking any more tours he can't perform.
I know people who have quit drinking and it seems to be a very difficult thing to do. Congratulations to you, and count your victories ❤️

The drink could well be a factor but only something I've noticed about him in fairly recent years - I never read anything about his drinking in The Smiths; on the contrary, he was know to turn in early of a night. Andy recounted a story about him being pissed one night and everyone was laughing at him, i.e. because it was out of character. Neither biographer mentions this either. The only Smiths rider I read saw M requesting a quarter bottle of Gordon's gin - hardly anything to rival Guns n Roses. Indeed, it was Marr who put away a bottle of Remy Martin on the US tour every night!

I didn't think he appeared drunk on Larry King at all but the Aer Fungus footage is indisputable - I'm amazed this one didn't go viral.

Who knows how all of these recent events have affected his mental health: the deaths of mum and Andy; the departure of Boz/Alain/Gustavo; the BOT Capitol embargo; no deal and none likely and the current apathy towards touring. I honestly don't think he's invested in the current line-up either and I must admit, with no disrespect to them, it did just seem a bit off last time I saw him. I even started to miss Gaynor Tension :guitar:

Very sad but spot on. Morrissey has been drinking for most of his life: Johnny mentioned it at the time of the Smiths, Noel mentioned it….. . Some people here have suggested that he’s a functioning alcoholic, that is until recently.

The amzing thing is that it didn’t ruin his voice; if anything his voice became stronger and deeper with the years.

Switserland is a nice place to get away from the record industry. Whatever he decides to do next (maybe nothing), I hop

Not saying, Moz is an alcoholic, because we don't know that. Just because he drinks alcohol, when he's out and about (ok and occasionally on airplanes, lol), doesn't mean he is an alcoholic, otherwise more or less all of us would be. I think, people have an unnatural focus on that with him, because somehow a lot of people seem to think he's that pure human with no vices. So that's not really evidence for him being an alcoholic to me. But it's obvious, that something is wrong with him and causing that erratic behaviour. So if true and it’s a problem in the day to day life, I hope he gets help.

But re:Johnny above: let's not forget that it got really really bad, before he stopped. I read an unusual honest interview with him by Dave Haslam from 92 or 93 I think, where he repeatedly said, that he nearly died or would have died if he didnt leave the band and the stress and that his family was really really concerned about his health. I haven't read any other interview, where he states it that drastically. And I mean he also wrecked his car under the influence and survived out of pure luck. (To me it gives a whole other spin on "Angel, don't take your life" and "I love you more than life", but I digress...). What I meant is, as with all addicts (or nearly addicts) there has to be an absolute low point for them to change and stop.
Funny thing I was told a story years ago and I’m talking like 20+ years ago where Morrissey was with the band drinking with Alain, Boz and the rest and that Morrissey was so drunk and shit faced that he literally started eating Chicken wings at the place they were drinking at. Is he an alcoholic? I don’t know but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was. He is of Irish decent after all.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom