Poll: Being a fan

How boring is it to be a Morrissey fan today?

• So boring I can not stand it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Much boring

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Not that boring

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • As boring as usual

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Not boring as reading this poll

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
For bad or good, no one is bored with what’s going on in the world of Morrissey. People wouldn’t bother coming here otherwise.
When there’s f***ed up shit going on, I’m not bored. I’m frustratingly entertained, pained, disappointed, sad, angry…. But otherwise I’m bored. It’s either bad news or no news (or stupid news). Like I said before, I stick around for other reasons.

I'd rather him old and mean, than old and chipper and putting on gimmicky shows with a full orchestra like glad-handing Johnny Marr. He is certainly a recluse, and some say a drunkard, and does spend the occasional evening going down right-wing/AI covers/amateur Smiths & Morrissey covers rabbit holes on YouTube, but I prefer that kind of eccentricity to being blandly successful.
It's bizarre to romanticise reclusiveness and meanness as artistic virtues. He's ruined so many opportunities by antagonising practically every person he meets and to think he's somehow superior for doing that, or better off than people who are "glad-handing" ... it makes no sense. It's like you think of him as some Byronic hero instead of a real person and so the more misery and dysfunction that follows him around, the better. It's not a normal way to live. And how predictable - to dismiss success when he's struggling but if his career were at a high point, you'd be shouting it from the rafters.

Last edited:
I'd rather him old and mean, than old and chipper and putting on gimmicky shows with a full orchestra like glad-handing Johnny Marr. He is certainly a recluse, and some say a drunkard, and does spend the occasional evening going down right-wing/AI covers/amateur Smiths & Morrissey covers rabbit holes on YouTube, but I prefer that kind of eccentricity to being blandly successful.

The funny thing is that if Morrissey sang in front of an orchestra, you'd be praising it to the high heavens. It's so predictable. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Of course it's gimmicky. It's the refuge of the aging rock star: "let's make it symphonic!" I don't need to hear Morrissey dressing up perfectly good songs with lush orchestral arrangements. It's gilding the lily so the moms and dads in their skinny jeans can enjoy a novelty for a change. Don't do it, Morrissey. Come to think of it, I prefer the live 5-piece arrangement of his orchestral song Dear God Please Help Me to the Ennio Morricone studio version.
It's no more of a gimmick than the Classically Smiths project would have been, or Rick Astley doing Smiths karaoke, or licensing Smiths songs for films and adverts - and Johnny surely has more right than most to do what he wants with his own songs. Everything to do with 'legacy' artists is gimmicky really. Do we really need albums in 6 formats? Deluxe versions, endless Best-Ofs, albums reissued with altered tracklisting and artwork? Speaking events? Book tours? 'Residencies'? The industry is full of money-making gimmicks and Moz is no stranger to it - or he wasn't, before his career imploded and the opportunities dried up.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that if Morrissey sang in front of an orchestra, you'd be praising it to the high heavens. It's so predictable. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I honestly wouldn't. I've been critical of many of his decisions, particularly the musical direction. I didn't like it when he went techno-dance on Dog On A Chain, and I wouldn't like it if he sang in front of a full orchestra. It's bloated and gimmicky.

Everything to do with 'legacy' artists is gimmicky really.

That's true, and it's kind of my point. Morrissey's dysfunction is also his saving grace: since he appears to be somewhat radioactive to record companies and managers, he avoids a slick, gimmicky embarrassment like an orchestra outing. I would definitely like it if his career was at a high point, but what that even means differs from person to person. He has two albums completed. If he can get them released and continue touring, that would be great. They wouldn't have to be chart-toppers (though he'd surely want them to be) for me consider him successful. As long as the music was good and he didn't mute his opinions for fear of giving anyone any offense, which I doubt he'd ever do anyway.

That's true, and it's kind of my point. Morrissey's dysfunction is also his saving grace: since he appears to be somewhat radioactive to record companies and managers, he avoids a slick, gimmicky embarrassment like an orchestra outing. I would definitely like it if his career was at a high point, but what that even means differs from person to person. He has two albums completed. If he can get them released and continue touring, that would be great. They wouldn't have to be chart-toppers (though he'd surely want them to be) for me consider him successful. As long as the music was good and he didn't mute his opinions for fear of giving anyone any offense, which I doubt he'd ever do anyway.

Don’t you think a 20th Anniversary show of Quarry is gimmicky? Trading in on nostalgia and using Quarry era photos is way more cringy than Johnny working with an orchestra and expanding his musical palette.

Gimmicky? Are you saying you wouldn’t like to hear Morrissey singing with a full orchestra? He could never pull that off, he doesn’t have the discipline or work ethic to do something like that.
I dunno, watching a vid of Johnny's show I thought maybe Morrissey could do it too. But then there's the conductor - who could he work with?

Don’t you think a 20th Anniversary show of Quarry is gimmicky? Trading in on nostalgia and using Quarry era photos is way more cringy than Johnny working with an orchestra and expanding his musical palette.

It’s mildly gimmicky, but at least it’s not grandiose. If he spiffs it up with gospel singers and a horn section, then we’ll know he’s in full-on desperate has-been mode. My point isn’t really so much about the musical palette, though, as much it is about his brittle personality traits continuing (as ever) to set him apart from the boring norm.

I think it’s sad to see yes-men cheering him on down his path to obliteration and glorifying his destructive behavior's and his perpetually bad decisions. Whether these yes-men are blind followers or employees doesn’t really matter.

There was a time when Morrissey was both an outsider and wildly successful. Let’s not equate success with “glad-handing” and constant failure with integrity and ART.

No one is cheering him on to make more bad decisions. It would be very nice if he could get his two languishing albums released. The question is whether he’s boring. My opinion is no, certainly not compared to other artists his age.

No one is cheering him on to make more bad decisions. It would be very nice if he could get his two languishing albums released. The question is whether he’s boring. My opinion is no, certainly not compared to other artists his age.

Did Morrissey have ‘yes-men’ around him as a teenager when he made awful decisions such as choosing not to work and aspire to become a pop star? Someone should have stoped him then too! Lol.

Ok, like all employers, I’m sure Morrissey has a few around him that are not going to risk losing their job. But ultimately, just as he did as a teenager, he is the only one influencing himself and making the final decisions. As stubborn as he seems to be, I’m sure ‘no-men’ would just encourage him more to do exactly what he wants.

Btw, I’m not judging or defending his actions.

And some of the most original and best ART comes from those that were perceived and judged as failures and nuts in their own time.

Back
Top Bottom