Request: specific version of Reel Around The Fountain

B

Breno Barros

Hi. I'm searching for a specific version of "Reel Around the Fountain". It's the one where at the end we can hear a commentary about the song (first from a host I think, then John Peel). Thanks.

Hi. I'm searching for a specific version of "Reel Around the Fountain". It's the one where at the end the host and john peel make a commentary about the song, something to with its controversy boasted by the tabloids. Thanks.

I always edit any chatter out of my bootlegs but it's likely that the recording you're talking about, DJ still intact, is in one of the many bootleg CD rips offered by Famous When Dead here.

Granted you'll have to do some digging.

Last edited:
I always edit any chatter out of my bootlegs but it's likely that the recording you're talking about, DJ still intact, is in one of the many bootleg CD rips offered by Famous When Dead here.

Granted you'll have to do some digging.
I've downloaded all that collection and couldn't find it. Thank you anyway, Skylarker. The search continues lol

Last edited:
I've downloaded all that collection and couldn't find. Thank you anyway, Skylarker. The search continues lol
I'm guessing you mean you've either heard a version as part of a full radio show recording or a crop of some audio that features 2 presenters.
I do recall a couple of Smiths Torrents bits from many years ago that may have included announcer commentary.
Perhaps also may have been from one of the recent(ish) re-broadcasts of said radio shows.
Nothing is pinging my memory otherwise - other than press at the time echoing the 'controversy'. I may have a few taped Peels/similar in storage, but as per Skylarker, most people wanted "clean" copies of the sessions minus even 1 second of presenter voice.
I have a feeling it is not the first Peel session, but the Jensen session (September 5, 1983) you are thinking of that saw the track cut due to the "controversy". It would later surface on The Janice Long Show (~2 years later after things were calmer). I believe the removal of the track via Jensen would probably mean Janice &/or others may have played it with an explanation maybe 🤔

See:
Post in thread 'The Guardian: "‘An astounding rush of real-time creativity’: 40 years of the Smiths’ Peel Sessions" by Michael Hann (May 31, 2023)' https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/the-guardian-‘an-astounding-rush-of-real-time-creativity’-40-years-of-the-smiths’-peel-sessions-by-michael-hann-may-31-2023.151054/post-1987523291

It may feature:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...bbc-radio-2-fm-flac-6-music-dsat-flac.146387/
When a large collection of bits were broadcast via digital satellite...
If you didn't grab them at the time, I can dig them out.
Regards,
FWD.

I'm guessing you mean you've either heard a version as part of a full radio show recording or a crop of some audio that features 2 presenters.
I do recall a couple of Smiths Torrents bits from many years ago that may have included announcer commentary.
Perhaps also may have been from one of the recent(ish) re-broadcasts of said radio shows.
Nothing is pinging my memory otherwise - other than press at the time echoing the 'controversy'. I may have a few taped Peels/similar in storage, but as per Skylarker, most people wanted "clean" copies of the sessions minus even 1 second of presenter voice.
I have a feeling it is not the first Peel session, but the Jensen session (September 5, 1983) you are thinking of that saw the track cut due to the "controversy". It would later surface on The Janice Long Show (~2 years later after things were calmer). I believe the removal of the track via Jensen would probably mean Janice &/or others may have played it with an explanation maybe🤔

See:
Post in thread 'The Guardian: "‘An astounding rush of real-time creativity’: 40 years of the Smiths’ Peel Sessions" by Michael Hann (May 31, 2023)' https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/the-guardian-‘an-astounding-rush-of-real-time-creativity’-40-years-of-the-smiths’-peel-sessions-by-michael-hann-may-31-2023.151054/post-1987523291

It may feature:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...bbc-radio-2-fm-flac-6-music-dsat-flac.146387/
When a large collection of bits were broadcast via digital satellite...
If you didn't grab them at the time, I can dig them out.
Regards,
FWD.
That's right, sir. I remember I got it from smithstorrent years ago. I'm certain it resembles a radio session or something. Unfortunately, the links at that thread are gone (Wetransfer). So, if you have it, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

That's right, sir. I remember I got it from smithstorrent years ago. I'm certain it resembles a radio session or something. Unfortunately, the links at that thread are gone (Wetransfer). So, if you have it, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Right, I've found what you were after.
It was the 6Music: The Smiths At The Beeb via digital satellite re-broadcast.
It was Whispering Bob with John Peel looking back on the track (first broadcast 1994).
See segment 12 in the zip link:

This is digital satellite quality. Everything is separated out in to music and talking and is FLAC - it is the best version you'll get.
Whole thing ~400mb.
Regards,
FWD.

Link added above.
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom