Rubber Ring?

I saw him the other week after the Birmingham City game (shit, sounds like i'm name dropping now doesn't it),

Jukebox Jury

Well, you're moving in high society now, us regular Moz plebs can't compete :D

Although, one day when I have my own column in the Guardian (please God?) I will make my love for Moz known nationwide :p

Edit: I am now, utterly knackered, and having to get up at 7am, so goodnight all xxxxxx

Edit: I am now, utterly knackered, and having to get up at 7am, so goodnight all xxxxxx

Yes, I was going to suggest that you and Kewpie should stop burning the midnight oil:p
Whilst for me four hours behind it is only 9.50pm:)

goodnight and thank you

Jukebox Jury

I have decided that I love Not Right In The Head because he thought that "Rubber ring" meant a 45" LP. Biggest laugh I've had all night, bless your cotton socks NRITH

:eek::mad::eek::mad:
My socks could do with a lot more than blessing, but I wasn't joking! We 'Mercans don't call life preservers "rubber rings." I first heard the song when I was your age, locking myself in my bedroom with nothing but my Beatles & Smiths records to keep me company, and that interpretation just made perfect sense. I still think that it means a 45, so nyah.

Even without this example, there should still be plenty of reasons left for you to love me. Right?

We 'Mercans don't call life preservers "rubber rings." I first heard the song when I was your age, locking myself in my bedroom with nothing but my Beatles & Smiths records to keep me company, and that interpretation just made perfect sense. I still think that it means a 45, so nyah.

Even without this example, there should still be plenty of reasons left for you to love me. Right?

The Beatles and the Smiths are the two greatest bands ever to grace the Earth :D

I'm not old enough to have any vinyl records, sadly.

From LASID.....

"Morrissey is surely the only lyricist ever with the wit, intelligence and sheer genius to write a song for people who have grown out of his music. He here displays a knowledge that his writing is intended to bring people out of their current psychology, leading them like sheep to a happier life. And he leaves with them this footnote - don't forget his songs now you no longer need them. Absolutely brilliant.
He makes it clear that he himself will never and could never move on - he'll always be there with the cause. The eloquency of the song is nothing but clarified by his rambling la-la-la "chorus". He bemoans how time changes things as he feels sickened by what he seems to see as a betrayal.
His point is further clarified by the two end samples. The first sample is from a filme of Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest". Bizarrely, the second sample is from 1971 LP "Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication With The Dead". This LP was recorded by Latvian psychologist Konstantin Raudive, and is claimed to be voices of the dead recorded in laboratory conditions."

From LASID.....

"Morrissey is surely the only lyricist ever with the wit, intelligence and sheer genius to write a song for people who have grown out of his music. He here displays a knowledge that his writing is intended to bring people out of their current psychology, leading them like sheep to a happier life. And he leaves with them this footnote - don't forget his songs now you no longer need them. Absolutely brilliant.
He makes it clear that he himself will never and could never move on - he'll always be there with the cause. The eloquency of the song is nothing but clarified by his rambling la-la-la "chorus". He bemoans how time changes things as he feels sickened by what he seems to see as a betrayal.
His point is further clarified by the two end samples. The first sample is from a filme of Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest". Bizarrely, the second sample is from 1971 LP "Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication With The Dead". This LP was recorded by Latvian psychologist Konstantin Raudive, and is claimed to be voices of the dead recorded in laboratory conditions."

The song can also be read to acknowledge that pop music is for young people. "The passing of time and all of its crimes"-- people move on merely by getting older. Interesting to think of this in light of the fact that he wrote the song two years into a career that has lasted 24 years. Wonder what he'd say now.

:eek::mad::eek::mad:
My socks could do with a lot more than blessing, but I wasn't joking! We 'Mercans don't call life preservers "rubber rings." I first heard the song when I was your age, locking myself in my bedroom with nothing but my Beatles & Smiths records to keep me company, and that interpretation just made perfect sense. I still think that it means a 45, so nyah.

I think he used the image of a rubber ring because it does look like a vinyl record. Round with a hole in the middle. So you are right in a way.

my interpretation of the title and how it has to do with the meaning of the song is that he literally speaks of one of those rings made from a rubber band. i always connect those with childhood and having pretend weddings. actually, i'm not really sure how that has to do with the song. perhaps just the notion of once you grow old you may see the music as childish but not to lose track of how it helped you. just how i thought of it, probably missed the mark completely :rolleyes:.

does morrissey ever say 'rubber ring' in the song? during the chorus part, i can't tell if he's just saying "la" or something in the middle, haha.

one of my very favourite songs ever, though!!

I never heard it either , but he does. It's sort of "la lalala rubber ring rubber ring rubber ring Do you love me like you used to" and repeat.

It's really ... slurred?

Back
Top Bottom