Scandal & Passion

True-to-me

I'm sure other people in here have read the above biography of Morrissey (approved/non approved?) by David Bret, who I believe maybe in M's inner circle.

Though nothing libelous is said, on completing the reading of the book I was left with an image of Morrissey as a truly dissipated character who really has no ground rules when it comes to dealing with people. He openly admits to seeing people as highly disposable.

I'm interested in the views of others on this book

I've read this book (up yours Robby) and I thought it was very good book. I got it for my birthday which was nice and I was never one of these Morrissey obsessive who wants to know what colour boxers Morrissey wears and so forth, but it was interesting, especially when he comments on finding the whole idea of attraction embarrassing. He makes comments about finding it easier to fall in love with photographs.

I didn't really get any major sense of well being out of reading it, because I'm not someone who fantasies over Morrissey and hangs on his every word like some fans, those fans should buy the book if they haven't got it, and they can gaze at his pictures in the middle of the book, no doubt!

From what I have heard David Bret has no access to Morrissey or anyone close to him so the book has no inside knowledge at all. It's just cobbled together from interviews and gossip.

He does, but it does give a great insight to Morrissey's way of thinking more than anything else, it's certainly better than a lot of other rubbish flying about. The only way obsessed Morrissey fans will ever be able to get a true insight to this "mysterious and eccentric persona" is if he releases an Autobiography.

I was somewhat disturbed by what seems like the revolving door that is his love/social life. Other than Linder and James Maker who are 'soulmates' for eternity, the latest squeeze is always replaceable, be it Jake Walters, or long term rent boy Peter Hogg etc etc.

Whoever is around has to contend with an army of substitutes should they get the big push off. And though he has made resolute attempts in the past not to live the rawk&roll cliched lifestyle isn't it ironic that he allegedly smashed up a hotel room on one occasion and has been rude, cruel and mercenary with ex friends/ex associates/his former musicians?

A genius he maybe, but one that is beautifully flawed and very human.

Danny, Kirsty MacColl worked very close with Moz and they were still friends up until the moment of her sudden death - it was He who encouraged her to record an album with a latin sound back in 2000. Kirsty's views, stated in the book are entirely frank and cannot be described as "cobbled together".

Morrissey's demons came to light a decade ago when he lost the court case against Mick Joyce, which can be traced back to that dreaded contract which stated him and Marr were The Smiths. He also refused to pay Joyce any money when he left for US, using the fact he was no longer in the UK as a reason for not paying him, so Morrissey's no angel, he is human with a taste for greed.

I love you're quote, it's a good description. I used to be somewhat captivated by Morrissey's persona, but I seem to be grown out of it, it seems once you become a pop star as it were, you fundamentally become idolised and cherised by your admirers and if you're not revealing yourself and you're reserved you become an object for scrutiny. It's all a bit ridiculous to be honest.

morrissey is successful artist... you do have to walk over people to get there.
can't be bothered to read the book. knew nothing of it until i read this thread.

And though he has made resolute attempts in the past not to live the rawk&roll cliched lifestyle isn't it ironic that he allegedly smashed up a hotel room on one occasion.

He smashed up a hotel room? Where did you hear that from? God, that would be funny (if true).:D

This book and Bret's previous Morrissey "bio," Landscapes of the Mind, should be read with a fair amount of skepticism. Whatever one says about Johnny Rogan's methods/opinions, he exhaustively logs his sources. Bret often uses hearsay but prints them like substantive quotes. Also, whatever your beliefs on Morrissey's sexuality or however (ir)relevant you deem it to be, Bret goes to frankly ridiculous extremes to find ways to "out" him. For example, he blatantly misquotes the first line of "I'd Love To" as "Gay, I lay awake..." when it is clearly "again" that he is singing. (And the lyric has been published before,too, so it's not a matter of dispute.)

I think Morrissey was referring to Rogan when he was quoted as saying he was rummaging through his "dustbin for evidence of lesbianism." He would have been more accurate in applying that witticism to David Bret.

Nice pictures in both books, mind, but the writing and research is fit for your average litterbox/birdcage.

Cheers,

Jamie

I wouldn't take too much notice. This person re-registers every now and then simply in order to start a thread with the theme "What a nasty person that Morrissey is". Using this crappy book is just his latest way to lead into the subject. ;)

Nope, I don't want to either, but some of his comments have led me to think in such a way, naturally no one is nice, nice, so I don't expect Morrissey to be.

Oh Danny, Mr Senior Member, aren't you as a paid up member of the 'solo' innner circle breaking breaking privacy and confidentiality agreements by
referring to me as this "person re-registers every now and then simply in order to start a thread with the theme "What a nasty person that Morrissey is". Using this crappy book is just his latest way to lead into the subject."

I bet you keep files on all the usernames and passwords used on this site. Nice to be an ambitious insider then?

Only a fascist little ass wipe like you would deny people the chance in here to remark upon the first serious biography of Morrissey published since Rogan's 'Severed Alliance'? Are you not aware of the first amendment of the American Constittution?

I wouldn't be surprised if you're a bible thumping redneck from the asshole of Bush's Texas.

I've read it twice, I think it's worth a read once anyway. It has to be said it is better than "Saint Morrissey".
What I absoluted hated about the book by Brett was his constant use of French, it irritated me so much, I speak good French but the book was supposed to be in English, using delicate little expressions in French seemed to me as if he was just trying to be acting all classy when in actual fact he was acting the eejit!

Oh Danny, Mr Senior Member, aren't you as a paid up member of the 'solo' innner circle breaking breaking privacy and confidentiality agreements by
referring to me as this "person re-registers every now and then simply in order to start a thread with the theme "What a nasty person that Morrissey is". Using this crappy book is just his latest way to lead into the subject."

I bet you keep files on all the usernames and passwords used on this site. Nice to be an ambitious insider then?

Only a fascist little ass wipe like you would deny people the chance in here to remark upon the first serious biography of Morrissey published since Rogan's 'Severed Alliance'? Are you not aware of the first amendment of the American Constittution?

I wouldn't be surprised if you're a bible thumping redneck from the asshole of Bush's Texas.

Where did I say you couldn't post what you like? Of course you can.

I was merely pointing out your usual way of operating on this site. You've also confirmed what I said by your typical aggressive response when anyone challenges you. Even the language and insults you use are in the same style each time. You should be a bit cleverer about it if it really makes you that angry to have it pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom