Scott Rodger (Maverick) leaks Morrissey information and email re: Bonfire / Miley via X (October 17, 2023)

There's been drama!

20231017_090414.jpg

20231017_090437.jpg

IMG_20231017_085912.jpg

Related item:

Last edited:
This is the true pity. Morrissey could be a global phenomenon and selling out stadiums like the Cure or Depeche Mode if he'd played his cards right. He has the talent and the back catalog for it. Instead he is a washed up, small act, groveling for Miley Cyrus crumbs. Sad.
100%. Moz had it all for the taking, but blew it by being awkward, obstructive, failing to play shows/tours he's been contracted to - such as NY/LA arena shows in 1994, and ducking out of The Bowie tour in 1995 - and generally deliberately avoiding what audiences wanted. If he'd taken the Depeche Mode route, and punters knew he'd turn up and that they were getting a decent 2 hour show with a stable band, and 12 hit singles at the end, he'll sell a f*** of a lot more tickets.

Imagine a Moz setlist where every night, you'd get 12 of the following : Hand In Glove, This Charming Man, William, How Soon Is Now, Thorn, Bigmouth, Light, Girlfriend, Stop Me, Last Night, Suedehead, Sunday, Playboys, Interesting Drug, November, Our Frank, Sing Your Life [last seen in 1991!!], We Hate It, Fatty, Certain People, The More You Ignore Me, Boxers, Boy Racer, Dagenham Dave, Alma Matters, Irish Blood, First of The Gang..

AC/DC do it. Depeche do it. New Order do it. And that's why they sell bigger venues than Our Moz.

I think Morrissey should let the album come out without Miley, I really should. Just mute her vocal and move on, unlock his career. This could all be sorted in a day.

If he is so desperate for us to hear her vocal he can arrange for it to be leaked after the album has launched. Everyone now knows it’s her, if he times it right he could get a bit of second phase interest in the song and maybe the album. Not something her generally gets.
I'm not totally clear... would Capitol have still released BOT without Miley on the record... or do they not want to be involved any longer?

It's very simple. Because one 'side' is a great artist who changed the way we think about pop music. And the other is some guy from a management company. I'm gonna cut Morrissey some slack for that reason alone. Ultimately this all boils down to Morrissey not wanting to change a track that he recorded with another artist and that he thought was 'perfect' as it was. There is something admirable about that. Could he have handled this better? Of course. But we all make mistakes.
I agree to an extent and had Morrissey been honest about that, we'd all have respected it. Instead, he's citing conspiracy theories for why BOT wasn't released when he knew damn well the real reason. Did he honestly think that no one in the know would speak up? It just makes him look foolish on every level.

Last edited:
I'm not totally clear... would Capitol have still released BOT without Miley on the record... or do they not want to be involved any longer?
Yes. They ‘would’ have released it without Miley, that is the reason this is all blowing up in Morrissey’s face, they were happy to proceed but he wouldn’t budge on removing Miley after he had announced she was on the record (with he wasn’t supposed to do)

whether they would release it now after him dragging their name through the mud is another thing. Probably not!

100%. Moz had it all for the taking, but blew it by being awkward, obstructive, failing to play shows/tours he's been contracted to - such as NY/LA arena shows in 1994, and ducking out of The Bowie tour in 1995 - and generally deliberately avoiding what audiences wanted. If he'd taken the Depeche Mode route, and punters knew he'd turn up and that they were getting a decent 2 hour show with a stable band, and 12 hit singles at the end, he'll sell a f*** of a lot more tickets.

Imagine a Moz setlist where every night, you'd get 12 of the following : Hand In Glove, This Charming Man, William, How Soon Is Now, Thorn, Bigmouth, Light, Girlfriend, Stop Me, Last Night, Suedehead, Sunday, Playboys, Interesting Drug, November, Our Frank, Sing Your Life [last seen in 1991!!], We Hate It, Fatty, Certain People, The More You Ignore Me, Boxers, Boy Racer, Dagenham Dave, Alma Matters, Irish Blood, First of The Gang..

AC/DC do it. Depeche do it. New Order do it. And that's why they sell bigger venues than Our Moz.
He could have also reformed the Smiths for record paydays. But he didn't. And I respect him more for it. Moz doesn't care about selling out bigger venues or doing easy things that would make him more money. You can point to this current spat as petty and beneath him, but he has always done things like this. He has always pushed back against authority figures and the business of the record industry. This is the same person who wrote The Queen is Dead, Margaret on the Guillotine, Frankly Mr. Shankly, etc... For better or worse, he hasn't changed.

he really screwed the pooch by not re-recording Bonfire with Alain and an actual band when they recorded Without Music with Joe Chiccarelli.
But Morrissey didn't need to re-record the entire album. If he had just agreed to have another vocalist replace Miley's backing vocals then 'Bonfire' would have been released, and all of this drama would have been avoided.

Who knows - maybe 'Bonfire' would have sold enough without Miley that he could have licensed 'Without Music' to Capitol as well? But this is Morrissey we are dealing with - always clutching defeat from the jaws of victory.

"I know what's expected of me now,
Veering cliffwards..."

I imagine after the fly pass over the Capitol building and putting a picture of their CEO on his official site with a bitchy comment underneath, at this stage all Capitol want is their "small advance" back.

He could have also reformed the Smiths for record paydays. But he didn't. And I respect him more for it. Moz doesn't care about selling out bigger venues or doing easy things that would make him more money. You can point to this current spat as petty and beneath him, but he has always done things like this. He has always pushed back against authority figures and the business of the record industry. This is the same person who wrote The Queen is Dead, Margaret on the Guillotine, Frankly Mr. Shankly, etc... For better or worse, he hasn't changed.

You respect him for being a pariah and a laughingstock? I'd say he does care about selling out venues and airplay and record sales. But he cares more about maintaining his paranoid delusions of grandeur. I agree with the people who have said he needs extensive therapy more than anything else.

I imagine after the fly pass over the Capitol building and putting a picture of their CEO on his official site with a bitchy comment underneath, at this stage all Capitol want is their "small advance" back.
Strange that no one has taken credit for the plane over Capitol... or did they and I missed it?

Strange that no one has taken credit for the plane over Capitol... or did they and I missed it?
It was that Terrance Stamp guy. He appears to have met Morrissey twice on this tour so I wonder if he told him what he'd done :straightface: Perhaps Mozi will ban him from future shows as this stunt has caused a lorra lorra trouble!

I attended the Brighton show, where Moz made a little speech announcing that "yes, it really is my good friend Miley Cyrus singing" when he announced Veronica. Somebody on this site kindly uploaded a recording of that show which I downloaded and have listened to many times since and I have to say that I really don't like the sound of MC's vocal compared to earlier live versions without a backing voice. She's really not improving the track and I'm sure many others could do a better job but everything seems to hinge on her name/profile being associated with the flagging artist

Just going to leave this here

Oh Chr**t 32 pages on this already! I don't have time to trawl through it all.
If Vronk was my song I'd fight tooth and nail to resurrect it in it's original form with MC.
I miss it already it was great live.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom