SLC On Secret Millionaire

excellent story, good find PT.

love

Grim

Oh well if Morrissey or Marr or Joyce (doubt Mr ROurke is) can't donate thier dosh towards the roof its good that some rich bloke from Ilkeston can

A mate told me about this the other day...says that the millionaire has paid for the roof at SLC - does anyone know if this is true? How up-to-date is this - is it before or after our cycle ride?

There is a mention of the SLC on the Channel 4 Website:
http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/S/secret_millionaire/chek_index.html

Salford Lads Club
Some hope exists in the shape of the famous club up by volunteers 100 years ago. Then it was a thriving youth club, open every night for the local boys to burn off some energy, make new friends and keep themselves fit and healthy. Chek is impressed to discover that two of the clubs earliest members, Eric and Archie, are now still part of the club’s fabric. But sadly, the club is seriously dilapidated, lacking in volunteer funds and help. Eric and Archie do what they can to keep the club afloat, but it is only open three nights of the week now and even that is under threat.

He gave them £15,000
Seems like a nice bloke.
The lads club came across really well - as you'd expect :0)

Now then, still £200,000 short....

He went back a few weeks later and took charge of the roof - worth £70,000 (he's a developer by trade)
A made a plaque for two of the longest serving volunteers.
Top bloke! I wish I was a secret millionaire....

Wow, that was really touching. Showed the plight of the people of Salford very honestly. I truly felt for them by the end of the show, and shed a tear or two. The old lads at the SLC are real stars, their dedication is something to behold. Chek's original donation of £15,000 seemed relatively little, but when you take into account the money he gave to others in the area, he was really very generous. And now he's donated an extra 70k - well, what a top bloke.

Coiff.

Back
Top Bottom