Southpaw Grammar Appreciation Thread

Uncle Liam

The King Of The Mountain
Anyone who doesnt understand it is stupid and anyone who doesnt like it cann f*** right off!

Honestly, I think if Moz released that album instead of Quarry he would have made a huge splash. Ahead of it's time really.

I LOVE Southpaw Grammar! Personally I don't like to say that if people don't like something it makes them stupid, but liking something can imply you are smart. So if you really like and "get" Southpaw Grammar, you must be pretty smart.

My favorite song off of SG is The Operation, it is one of my all-time faves for Moz or anyone else. The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils is also stunning, and Reader Meet Author is really catchy. I prefer Dagenham Dave to The Boy Racer, though the latter seems to be much more popular but I love them both. I do however feel that Southpaw is a bit overrated. It isn't as good as Teachers. Teachers is epic and works perfectly at 11 minutes; I couldn't see it being as good much shorter. Southpaw to me seems more like a naturally somewhat long song that has been stretched out way too much. But it is still good. Best Friend on the Payroll is possibly Moz's most overlooked song. It is quite good, not as special as the rest of the album, but still quite good. Also as a side note, I'm confused as to why Do Your Best and Don't Worry was chosen, out of all the great songs on Southpaw Grammar, to be on !The Best Of! Why exactly was that song put on a compilation instead of either single or Reader Meet Author?

I totally love Southpaw Grammar .. I still hold Bona Drag as my favourite Morrissey album (yeah I know it's technically not an album but best collection of solo songs) but after that it'd be this one. I do wish there were a couple of changes though .. "Best friends on the payroll" and "Do your best and don't worry" for "Nobody loves us" and "Sunny".

Uncle Liam said:
Anyone who doesnt understand it is stupid and anyone who doesnt like it cann f*** right off!

I liked it so much, I got the words "Southpaw" on my left wrist and "Grammar" and my right! Definetly my most fave!

Uncle Liam said:

I totally get Southpaw Grammar. How could you NOT get Southpaw Grammar? It just happens to be very, very weak. Dagenham Dave? Laziest song ever. It could have been a bit better. Drop Dave, edit the long songs, no drum solo and put in Nobody Loves Us. Plus, the production is shit. Really never quite liked what Lillywhite did to Morrissey.

Trill said:
Plus, the production is shit.

Hmmm, I think the production on this album is supposed to be very rough and raw sounding - almost as if there is no production at all. A lot of the songs sound like they were recorded in one take with little mixing ... and I love the fact that Moz sounds like he has a cold a lot of the time! It's still my favourite Morrissey album. I think he was heading in a great direction here, and I wish he'd taken things even further ... but instead he reblandified for Maladjusted. Ah, well.

mspendl828 said:
Yeah, 'cos Vauxhall just killed his career didn't it? ;)

Chart success might be important to you but not me. I find Lillywhite's production style really bland and commercial. Much prefer what Street, Ronson or Visconti did with Morrissey. Always with a nice edge. Plus, the songs were a lot better on the albums they produced.

best friend on the payroll is an excellent track!
also love the operation.
and dagenham dave is hilarious!
so, i don't think its his best album, but a darn goodun.

Uncle Liam said:
Totally agree.

Trill said:
Plus, the production is shit.
and now i know who'll be the first to shot)

and on the serious note, anyone who dislikes Southpaw
utterly misses the whole point of what Mozzer is.
but then again maybe this glorious LP is too British for the rest to understand.

hool' said:
and on the serious note, anyone who dislikes Southpaw
utterly misses the whole point of what Mozzer is.
but then again maybe this glorious LP is too British for the rest to understand.

Enlighten me.

Trill said:
Enlighten me.

Sorry, mate,
but it's too late.
if you don’t know that,
just blame it your fate ;)

Trill said:
In other words, you don't know. That's what I thought.

Blimey! Don't know what?
if you don't geddit its your problem, not mine indeed

Back
Top Bottom