'Southpaw/Maladjusted' era questions.

suave harv

Hullo!

I suppose I'm an old timer, I was a major Smiths fan and just lately I've been enjoying Moz solo stuff once again. I saw him at Birmingham, and well, it was great!

I admit, I stopped buying solo stuff after Vauxhall. although I bought the tape of Southpaw, but coudn't get on with it. Then began my own Moz 'dark period' where I bought nothing up 'till Quarry (which I like, and think superior to ROTT).

I've recently bought Southpaw and Maladjusted on CD, and I'm getting on quite well with them (you always look more sympathetically on something when they are not 'new' and you haven't been waiting for them and you haven't any expectations).

But I have questions about this period.

Wasn't there a song about the 'northern leeches' left off one of these albums? Which one was it, and what album is it on? (I'm looking to complete my collection now, see).

And, I've got a CD called World Of Morrissey with the songs 'Whatever Happens I Love You', 'Have A Go Merchantand Boxers on. Are these from this period?

Is there a good discography on line where I can find what I'm missing?

And I'd LOVE a setlist from the Aston Villa Leisure Center, about '94? He did 'Shoplifters' as an encore. Was this the first time he wheeled out a Smiths song live? (apart from '88 W-ton?).

For what it's worth, I think Viva still stands as his most sparkling solo album. Since then, his stuff has been patchy, and I think the post-Quarry critical renaissance is due to the changing perceptions of Morrissey while he was away, rather than a real ‘return to form’ as such.

But he's still great, and better than most, and I'm enjoying him again so any help with my questions would be much appreciated.:)

boxers, have a go merchant and whatever happens.. are the tracks from the 'boxers' single released in 1995.

here is the aston villa set list:
11 February 1995
Aston Villa Leisure Centre, Birmingham

Billy Budd
Have-A-Go Merchant
Spring-Heeled Jim
You're The One For Me Fatty
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Whatever Happens, I Love You
We'll Let You Know
Jack The Ripper
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
National Front Disco
Moon River
Hold On To Your Friends
Boxers
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
/Shoplifters Of The World Unite

suave harv said:
I admit, I stopped buying solo stuff after Vauxhall. although I bought the tape of Southpaw, but coudn't get on with it. Then began my own Moz 'dark period' where I bought nothing up 'till Quarry (which I like, and think superior to ROTT).

I've recently bought Southpaw and Maladjusted on CD, and I'm getting on quite well with them (you always look more sympathetically on something when they are not 'new' and you haven't been waiting for them and you haven't any expectations).

But I have questions about this period.

Wasn't there a song about the 'northern leeches' left off one of these albums? Which one was it, and what album is it on? (I'm looking to complete my collection now, see).

Are you sure you enjoy You are the quarry a lot ?

The northern leeches reference is in You know I couldn't last, the last song of this album

The song about Joyce is called 'Sorrow Will Come In The End', and is on the US version of 'Maladjusted' as the penultimate track, but was left off of the UK release due to potential legal implications, so you'll need to import a copy to get it.

"Legalized theft
leaves me bereft
I get it straight in the neck
(somehow expecting no less)
a court of justice
with no use for Truth
Lawyer ...liar
lawyer ...liar
you pleaded and squealed
and you think you've won
but Sorrow will come
to you in the end
and as sure as my words are pure
I praise the day that brings you pain
Q.C.'s obssessed with sleaze
frantic for Fame
they're all on the game
they just use a different name
You lied
and you were believed
by a J.P. senile and vile
you pleaded and squealed
and you think you've won
but Sorrow will come
to you in the end
and as sure as my words are pure
I praise the day that brings you pain
so don't close your eyes
don't close your eyes
a man who slits throats
has time on his hands
and I'm gonna get you
so don't close your eyes
don't ever close your eyes
you think you've won
oh no"

Nikita said:
Are you sure you enjoy You are the quarry a lot ?

The northern leeches reference is in You know I couldn't last, the last song of this album

I know this.

But wasn't there a song about the Northern Leeches (Joyce and Rourke) on one of the albums that I mentioned that was pulled prior to release?

sid james said:
The song about Joyce is called 'Sorrow Will Come In The End', and is on the US version of 'Maladjusted' as the penultimate track, but was left off of the UK release due to potential legal implications, so you'll need to import a copy to get it.
Thanks Sid. That's the one I mean:)

Don't get too excited though, it's hardly a 'lost' classic, more a menacing intro to the last track, as Morrissey narrates the words (there's no singing at all!) over a synth-orchestral backing. Still - essential nonetheless and theres bound to be people selling it on ebay for a couple of quid! ;)

Back
Top Bottom