Stephen Fry in America

I am a Ghost

Here's good news for all Fryaholics, including me :)

Next on:
12 Oct 2008 21:00 BBC One

Stephen Fry was very nearly an American. Just before Stephen was born, his father was offered a job at Princeton University, but chose to turn it down.

And so, Stephen was born in NW3 rather than in NJ, New Jersey.

In this six-part series he travels, mostly in a London cab, through all 50 states of the country that he could have nearly called home and which has always fascinated him.

In this first episode, he explores the states that make up New England, before heading south to the nation's capital and ending up at the civil war battlefield of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania.

Presidential hopefuls in New Hampshire, witches in Salem, nuclear submariners in Connecticut, deer hunters, small time mobsters in NYC, socialites in Rhode Island, lobster fishermen in Maine, ice cream blenders in Vermont and card washers in New Jersey - Stephen meets them all as he takes the road through the autumn colours to uncover what really makes America tick.

And here's a link to a long excerpt from the inevitable book...

http://stephenfry.com/blog/#more-58

I read Moab Is My Washpot a couple of weeks ago. It's a superbly written account of his earlier years. Great, great writer, and I only hope that he will be the next presenter of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, replacing the late, sorely missed Humphrey Lyttleton.

Peter

Cool. :cool: I love his The Secret Life of The Manic Depressive. ;)

I loved this as well. I also very much enjoyed the 'Who do you think you are' program. I look foward to seeing his new documentry:D

I shall record this series and watch it when everyone has gone to bed..

I'll watch Frost on the other side and say baaa! When David Jason minces after a suspect.

Ooh, sounds great. I'll look for it on PBS or perhaps when some ne'er-do-wells upload it to the Youtubes. :)

I would just like to inform the populace that the first two episodes have been uploaded. God bless democracy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom