Stephen King's next novel

I like the guy even more now!

"Stephen King, ‘Freelance Writer,’ Testifies Against Book-Publishing Merger

As expected, Stephen King knows a thing or two about The Stand. The author testified for the government today in the antitrust trialthat will decide if two of the country’s biggest publishing houses can merge. King has been openly critical of Penguin Random House’s proposed $2.2 billion acquisition of his publisher, Simon & Schuster. After introducing himself as “Stephen King, a freelance writer,” the author was questioned for about 45 minutes by the Department of Justice’s attorney. “I came because I think consolidation is bad for competition,” he toldthe court, per journalist John Maher. “That’s my understanding of the book business, and I’ve been around it for 50 years.”

Penguin Random House, the largest publisher in the country, is itself the result of a 2013 merger between Penguin and Random House. The DOJ is arguing that allowing Simon & Schuster to also be absorbed would create a monopsony, which is when a single buyer substantially controls the market. The court claims fewer rivals for book rights would mean lower compensation for authors, especially those who earn advances of $250,000 or more for anticipated best sellers.

In his testimony, King contrasted the current publishing industry’s “Big Five” — Penguin Random House, Hachette, Harper Collins, Simon & Schuster, and Macmillan — with the competitive-bidding landscape from earlier in his career. Now that there are fewer publishers, he claimed that getting rights for books is less of a competition and more of what he described as an “‘After you.’ ‘No, after you’” situation. He added that new writers who get their start at independent publishers struggle to make a living with advances, referencing a 2018 study by the Authors Guild that put the median income of full-time authors at $20,300.

Penguin Random House has argued that the deal would actually increase competition because increased efficiency would let it pay its authors more. The publisher has also pledged that Simon & Schuster would be allowed to bid against other Penguin Random House imprints after the merger. (According to Deadline, the publisher already allows internal competition when an outside bidder is involved.) Still, the DOJ and its highest-profile witness aren’t buying this line of reasoning. “You might as well say you are going to have a husband and wife bidding against each other for a house,” King testified. “It’s a little bit ridiculous.”"

"Stephen King is the winner of the Sunday Times Award for Literary Excellence."

From The Sunday Times article (See below):

"Now, at 74, he has won the Sunday Times Award for Literary Excellence. Past winners include Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney and Elena Ferrante."

Screenshot-2022-08-14-at-10.58.56-AM.png

Screenshot-2022-08-14-at-10.48.54-AM.png

Screenshot-2022-08-14-at-10.49.09-AM.png

Also:

"The Sunday Times Award

Launched in 1987 after Anthony Burgess was heard complaining that he had never received a prize (he became the first recipient), the Sunday Times Award for Literary Excellence has one of the most distinguished lists of alumni in the book world. Winners have included Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, Muriel Spark, Harold Pinter, Anne Tyler, Margaret Atwood, right, Kazuo Ishiguro, Julian Barnes, John le Carré, Sarah Waters and Elena Ferrante."

"Fairy Tale by Stephen King is published by Hodder & Stoughton on Sep 6 at £22. He will talk with Mark Lawson at the Cheltenham Literature Festival on Oct 8 at 6.30pm, £14"

Did not know this:

Regarding the news about Salman Rushdie being attacked:

"Posted at 18:48 12 Aug18:48 12 Aug

'Let him be OK' - authors and friends send support​

Fellow authors and friends have been posting messages of support to Salman Rushdie, who's one of the biggest names in the literary world.

They include horror writer Stephen King, who stood by Rushdie during the death threats when one US book chain wanted to remove his controversial novel The Satanic Verses from sale. King reportedly told them: "You don't sell The Satanic Verses, you don't sell Stephen King.""

"A Fundamental Fight

When Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, or death sentence, on Salman Rushdie for writing The Satanic Verses, 25 years ago, the novel became more than literature. Talking to Rushdie and those who stood beside him—Ian McEwan, Martin Amis, E. L. Doctorow, and others—Paul Elie assesses the extraordinary impact of a prophetic, provocative book, which turned its author into a hunted man, divided the cultural elite, and presaged a new era.

BY PAUL ELIE
PHOTOGRAPHY BY ANNIE LEIBOVITZ
APRIL 29, 2014"

"There was one more surprise. A few days earlier B. Dalton had announced plans not to sell The Satanic Verses, and Waldenbooks decided to remove it from its shelves. This in turn had prompted a call for readers to boycott the two chains. At the Columns, writers denounced the giant booksellers; yet at the same time, many worried about the impact that a boycott might have on sales of their own books.

Viking’s Nan Graham and Chuck Verrill got an idea. Maybe the king of horror fiction could make this particular horror story turn out right. They reached out to Stephen King. And King called B. Dalton’s chief, Leonard Riggio, the same day. King gave Riggio an ultimatum: “You don’t sell The Satanic Verses, you don’t sell Stephen King.”"

"Where to start with: Stephen King

You may have seen the film versions of It, Carrie and The Shining, but have you read the books? This guide to the master horror writer might just persuade you to give them a go"

5000.jpg

Neil McRobert
Thu 25 Aug 2022 17.23 BST

"Truly the king (pun definitely intended) of horror fiction, Stephen King has been terrifying readers for more than half a century. With more than 60 novels and 200 short stories to his name, the author of It and The Shining is something of a literary machine, and he’s not showing signs of stopping any time soon: his next novel, Fairy Tale comes out on 6 September. With an author as prolific as King, it can be tricky to know which title to pick up first. Here, writer and King fan Neil McRobert suggests some good ones to try."

More:

Post just one Stephen King book you'd recommend to someone new to King:

1: If you've played Valve's Portal/Portal 2 and loved it, then read The Dark Tower series. I don't know for a fact that Valve borrowed from The Dark Tower series, but if they didn't, they borrowed from another book or game that did. Don't look this up: GLaDOS is Blaine the Mono. Play the Portal games and come back after you've read The Dark Tower series. Or the other way around!

King's creativity is exceptional in this series.

Probably one of his classics: The Stand, The Shining, or It.

I'll be rereading The Stand after I've finished J K Rowling's The Ink Black Heart, and Stephen King's Fairy Tale. Then, I'm going to read The Dark Tower series again!

"Stephen King’s New Book Is the Best Kind of Page-Turner

Fairy Tale will remind you how much fun reading can be.​

BY LAURA MILLER
AUG 30, 20221:34 PM

I hear more and more people lately complaining of reading slumps, an inability to concentrate and really sink into a book caused by—who knows? The lingering pandemic? TikTok? Climate dread? “I will read,” thinks the title character in Elizabeth Strout’s new novel, Lucy by the Sea, as she comes in from a walk. “But there was nothing I wanted to read. I could not read.”

I can recommend a cure for that, though it might be a bit strong for Lucy’s taste: A good old-fashioned Stephen King fantasy-horror epic. Happily, there’s a new specimen: Fairy Tale. Like its predecessors in the King canon—especially The Eyes of the Dragon, the Dark Tower series, and The Talisman (co-written with Peter Straub)—it’s sometimes grisly, sometimes tense, and sometimes a bit goofy. You’ll inhale Fairy Tale in big 100-page swathes without the slightest effort or strain, and you’ll be grateful that there are 600-plus pages of it to remind you several times over how much fun that kind of reading experience is."

More here:

Spoilers:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll be rereading The Stand after I've finished J K Rowling's The Ink Black Heart, and Stephen King's Fairy Tale. Then, I'm going to read The Dark Tower series again!
Funny little anecdote... the first time I read The Stand coincidentally closely mirrored the timeline in the book. I was a young teen and it added an extra element of eeriness to the story.

Stephen King's next novel, Later, is available as a limited edition hardback. Only 2,500 hardbacks will be produced.
It's available from Forbidden Planet. Not sure if other stores/sites will stock it.

"Description

This Limited Collector’s Edition is limited to only 2500 copies worldwide.

SOMETIMES GROWING UP MEANS FACING YOUR DEMONS.

The son of a struggling single mother, Jamie Conklin just wants an ordinary childhood. But Jamie is no ordinary child. Born with an unnatural ability his mom urges him to keep secret, Jamie can see what no one else can see and learn what no one else can learn. But the cost of using this ability is higher than Jamie can imagine – as he discovers when an NYPD detective draws him into the pursuit of a killer who has threatened to strike from beyond the grave.

LATER is Stephen King at his finest, a terrifying and touching story of innocence lost and the trials that test our sense of right and wrong. With echoes of King’s classic novel It,LATER is a powerful, haunting, unforgettable exploration of what it takes to stand up to evil in all the faces it wears."
God, a weird-powers-wielding child. Where does he get his ideas from, except himself 40 years ago?

Last edited:
God, a weird-powers-wielding child. Where does he get his ideas from, except himself 40 years ago?

Oi! Who Rattled Your Cage!?

King is the master of stories with child protagonists. Even moreso when the child has supernatural abilities. Carrie, The Shining and Firestarter are all great. Later is a pretty good novella. The Institute is great too. Just waiting for a sequel!

New Yor Times review of Fairy Tale:

Spoilers ahead!

"Stephen King’s ‘Fairy Tale’: A Portal to a Fantasy Kingdom
In King’s latest novel, a teenage boy discovers another world beneath a backyard shed.

By Matt Bell
Sept. 1, 2022

FAIRY TALE, by Stephen King

Stephen King is no stranger to the portal fantasy genre, or to the kinds of young, unwitting protagonists who end up traveling to other worlds. In “The Gunslinger,” the first volume of his epic Dark Tower series, King gave us 11-year-old Jake Chambers, who arrives in Roland of Gilead’s world after dying in ours. In “The Talisman,” co-written with Peter Straub, 12-year-old Jack Sawyer “flips” between America and the fantastical Territories on a quest to save his mother’s life. Twenty years later, King and Straub sent Jack on another Territories adventure in “Black House,” this time connecting his story to the Dark Tower books and King’s larger multiverse.

Following in Jake and Jack’s footsteps comes Charlie Reade, the 17-year-old hero of King’s latest novel, “Fairy Tale.” A talented athlete, Charlie saves the life of Howard Bowditch, an eccentric recluse who lives alone with his ancient German shepherd, Radar. Inserting himself into Bowditch’s life as a make-do nurse and handyman, Charlie slowly discovers that his neighbor is addicted not just to solitude and secrets (and, eventually, pain pills), but to the treasures of a place called Empis, a kingdom he visits by descending “185 stone steps of varying heights” beneath Bowditch’s locked backyard shed.

It takes many pages and foreshadowings for Charlie to get into that shed, but he finally arrives in Empis with Radar at his side and Bowditch’s .45 revolver on his waist. There Charlie finds a kingdom in dire need, its royal family long ago overthrown by the usurper Flight Killer, who has inflicted a mysterious disfiguring illness called “the gray” upon the populace. Most notable among the sufferers whom Charlie meets on his quest is Leah, a deposed princess whose “storybook loveliness” is marred by her missing mouth, “a knotted white line” ending in “a dime-sized red blemish that looked like a tiny unopened rose.” (How Leah manages a drink provides one of the novel’s most arresting images, a pure jolt of classic King-style body horror.)

There’s plenty of fresh invention in “Fairy Tale,” but much of what Charlie encounters reminds him of something else he’s seen or read. Before he meets Radar, the German shepherd is rumored to be a “monster dog,” “like Cujo in that movie.” Leah evokes for him a similarly named princess in need from a galaxy far, far away. Charlie, aware of the tropes he’s inhabiting, isn’t surprised: “Isn’t ‘Star Wars’ just another fairy tale,” he reasons, “albeit one with excellent special effects?”

King’s portals — like his novels — have always been leaky apertures, prone to cultural exchange and playful cross-contamination. “There are other worlds than these,” Jake Chambers once told Roland of Gilead (a line that appears verbatim in “Fairy Tale”), and in King’s novels all possible worlds, his and those of others, are always playing a game of telephone. Some elements are lifted wholesale from traditional tales like “Rumpelstiltskin” and especially “Jack and the Beanstalk,” which contributes not just the deadly child-eating giant who guards Empis’s palace but the name of the Lovecraftian horror lurking beneath. Other allusions and homages abound, with King sometimes even playfully laying claim to the inventions he’s riffing on, as when Bowditch speculates that Ray Bradbury must’ve visited a particular location in Empis’s capital before writing “Something Wicked This Way Comes.” (As far as I can tell, King always gives credit where it’s due, sometimes subtly, sometimes not.)

So “Fairy Tale” is a multiverse-traversing, genre-hopping intertextual mash-up, with plenty of Easter eggs for regular King devotees. Thankfully, it’s also a solid episodic adventure, a page-turner driven by memorably strange encounters and well-rendered, often thrilling action. The best (and longest) of the novel’s set pieces depicts Charlie’s forced participation in the Fair One, a gladiatorial contest organized to entertain Flight Killer and his sycophantic court. In the Fair One, it’s kill or be killed, and surviving it takes all of Charlie’s wits, charisma and athleticism — as well as a risky indulgence in his hot temper and his talent for violence. “There’s a dark well in everyone, I think,” Charlie realizes, “and it never goes dry. But you drink from it at your peril. That water is poison.”

At 17, Charlie’s seen the lingering effects of these dark wells on his father, a recovering alcoholic, and the isolated Mr. Bowditch and even on Flight Killer, the root of all Empis’s problems; by the novel’s end, Charlie will need to learn to live with what he’s sipped from his own. After all, goodness isn’t something you are, even if you’re the chosen prince who has come to save a kingdom: Goodness is something you do, and Charlie Reade is always trying his best.

Despite the plot’s twists and turns, the biggest surprise “Fairy Tale” has to offer King’s so-called Constant Readers might be the book’s promise of a happy ending. At one point, Charlie warns us these require “something unlikely,” narrative tricks made “palatable to readers who wanted a happy ending even if the teller had to pull one out of his hat.” But I’ll bet many readers hungry for a genuinely feel-good adventure won’t care what tactics King uses to deliver the goods: These days, some of us will take all the happy endings we can get, however unlikely they seem."

The last paragraph from the acknowledgements at the back of Fairy Tale is quite moving:

IMG-3481.jpg

"Paul Greengrass To Adapt And Direct Stephen King’s New Bestseller ‘Fairy Tale’
Paul Greengrass will adapt, direct and produce a feature adaptation of Fairy Tale, the bestselling novel by Stephen King that Scribner just published.

King is a fan of Greengrass’s films and has granted him the option — at the usual $1 against a healthy backend — for an epic tale that follows a 17-year-old boy who inherits the keys to a terrifying world where good and evil are at war. The stakes could not be higher, for that world and ours, as he journeys into the mythic roots of human storytelling. It is the world creation that King so excels at."

More:

"Fox To Air Stephen King Themed [The Simpsons] “Treehouse of Horror: Not IT” Episode On October 23, 2022"

Fd2Np4uWAAExyKs.jpeg

"Fox will air a Stephen King themed Treehouse of Horror episode entitled “Not IT” on Sunday October 23, 2022 at 8/7c that pays homage to the author’s 1986 novel, IT.

When a supernatural clown starts slaying the children of Kingfield, young Homer Simpson teams up with other middle school misfits to face their fears and defeat the mysterious monster. But years later, the evil clown returns, and Homer’s friends must confront the tragedy of their adult lives to destroy Krusto once and for all.”"

Back
Top Bottom