Morrissey Central "STEVE WRIGHT, RIP" (February 13, 2024)

hang-the-dj-as-worn-by-morrissey-the-smiths-t-shirt-p6090-31627_image.jpg

"Steve Wright, Annie Nightingale, Janice Long, John Peel … a generation gone. I once bumped into Steve outside Woolworths in Henley-on-Thames. He said "what the hell are YOU doing here?" and I replied "precisely." During an interview he edited out diarist when I mis-pronounced it as diary-ist … he resisted the perfect opportunity to make fun of me. He played 'I Have Forgiven Jesus' and 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' when no other radio DJ would. Great minds play the music, small minds block the music. But it's too late for compliments now. Appreciating the living is still a ludicrous concept for most people, alas. "

MORRISSEY 13 February 2024.

Related item:

I suspect Morrissey is only thinking of himself and his own reputation, but it would be nice if he could turn this around and direct some appreciation to others whilst they are still above ground. We all know that if Johnny Marr got run over by a bus tomorrow, Morrissey would be gushing praise with a obituary on Central - would it hurt to say something pleasant before then?
Well, he did show appreciation to Steve Wright a few years ago in a post on Central. You can check above.

must be exhausting writing all of these remembrances, alas. so can we buy the t-shirt at the mporium shop or what?

I'm pretty sure he played "Angel Angel Down We Go Together" one time in 1988. Presumably it was on a radio-only promo single, though I've never seen any reference to such a thing.

As I was a devout Smiths fan wrapped up in the whole indie verses pop thing, I called daytime 80's 'Radio fun' hairdresser music - as that would be the only time I heard it.
Nighttime was where it was at.
I think Wright benefited from the move to Radio 2. There may be some empathy from Morrissey with the 'ageism' issues there later on.
I believe Wright's playing of The Smiths/solo was much greater post-split and Morrissey may have mellowed after seeing himself included on his later playlists.
Just a guess 🤔
Regards,
FWD.

Was that Hang The DJ t-shirt somethin' The Smiths sold
or is it kinda like a Steve Wright promo tee?

Looks like Misserrey has come out the other side of his exhaustion exactly the same. Never misses an opportunity to use someone else’s actual death to talk about his own banal obsession with himself.

Never change Misserrey, never change.

Good God, Morrissey has got more faces than a Rolex dealer. He and Johnny Marr used to hate everything about the Steve Wright show and never tired of saying it. Has anyone else noticed how, upon the sad passing of someone whom warrants a mention on Central, Morrissey never fails to manage to make it all about himself ?
Even people who he has slagged off in the past (i.e: pretty much everyone) get the same treatment. He is becoming so unlikeable.

Was that Hang The DJ t-shirt somethin' The Smiths sold
or is it kinda like a Steve Wright promo tee?
Not officially sold.
The image on Central is via a modern t-shirt reproduction site.
Regards,
FWD.

BBC ONE Show 7pm today is a tribute to Steve Wright.
I wonder if Mozi will pop up, live from rehab, spouting some kind words… a talking head in between Alison Hammond and Giles Brandreth.

Good God, Morrissey has got more faces than a Rolex dealer. He and Johnny Marr used to hate everything about the Steve Wright show and never tired of saying it. Has anyone else noticed how, upon the sad passing of someone whom warrants a mention on Central, Morrissey never fails to manage to make it all about himself ?
Even people who he has slagged off in the past (i.e: pretty much everyone) get the same treatment. He is becoming so unlikeable.
Not really. He posted an appreciation post to Steve Wright a few years ago on Central. Can a man not change his mind after 40 years?

In recent years, I caught snatches of Wright's Radio 2 programmes, now and again, in the car. On a few occasions, I left it on for 10 or 15 mins, and the impression I always got was that he was still presenting pretty much exactly the same programme that he was doing on Radio 1 circa 1985. Even the playlist hadn't changed. It was all Inxs, U2 (circa The Joshua Tree) and Luther fu_king Vandross.
Luther Vandross had a fantastic voice.

Looks like Misserrey has come out the other side of his exhaustion exactly the same. Never misses an opportunity to use someone else’s actual death to talk about his own banal obsession with himself.

Never change Misserrey, never change.
That is really what these obituaries or eulogies are about, just a chance to talk about himself, nothing more

I believe the phrase is 'morning zoo' style of radio presenting. Not to everyone's tastes. God, Steve Wright's style was corny as hell in many ways, with a very 'pop' style that pleased the masses. His mentor starting off apparently was Kenny Everett. He became one of the most highly paid personalities at the BBC at the height of his success. He accepted a pay cut in more recent times to reduce the gap between himself and other female presenters. But because his show was listened to by millions, everyone wanted to get their records played on his show. Of course The Smiths and Moz always saw themselves as operating in a different world to the 'pop' world of Steve Wright - but it is commendable to see Moz marking his passing in this way. As I said earlier, Steve Wright in the Afternoon was part of the furniture of British culture for decades. Like it or not.

Just heard James O' Brien on LBC give a nice tribute to Steve this morning, praising his professionalism and all the prep he did for his shows.
Will look forward to the Beeb's tribute show tonight, hope the Smiths/Moz aspect doesn't unhinge things. The time I heard Steve play Spent the Day in Bed he commented on it being so very Moz - without putting the boot in. Love M saying how he avoided an easy laugh at his misstep. Their history is forever entwined. JOB was saying how Steve respected any artist who was serious about what they were doing.
As Gash says "morning zoo" sums up that kind of show which he machine-tooled so well. I've worked a few not-so-great jobs where this was just the thing to make it through the day.
I wasn't surprised at the Beeb's behaviour towards him, just like all their other "legacy" presenters with solid fan base. I assumed he'd pop up on a rival station with the rest of his colleagues.
This just isn't sinking in as he's forever been there.
RIP Steve

Sad when anyone passes of course.

BUT…

I lived the 80’s in Britain and Steve Wright show was the antithesis of John Peel and Janice Long - it was 98% banal Muzak of that era with talkovers and poor humour from him and his hangers on in the studio. It was a show you heard in garages or on engineering shop floors, aimed at Sun newspaper readers and those who were poorly educated.

Sorry but that’s how it was.

No offence to him, probably a nice chap etc but his output was banal and anti most of the things that were progressive in that era.

Moz changes with the wind, he wore a T-shirt with Wright on it with his hands in his ears at the time, seemed to actively dislike him in 80’s.

Sounds like you're still living in the 80's. I'm not saying you aren't partly right......but your view is one of a self-indulgent indie teenager from 1985. It's also quite condescending towards working-class people. You are Billy Bragg.

He was young and a lot of what he said was a wind-up.....it's called maturing.

Back
Top Bottom