Telegraph's Interview & Q&A with Morrissey

Re: Telegraph's Interview & Q&As with Morrissey

This is actually a really good interview, a lot of good questions and insightful answers, yes it's still the cryptic Morrissey, but to be fair he had some good answers there. He sounds a lot more mellow and accepting nowadays in interviews.

Yeah, I agree!

Re: New fresh attack on the Queen by Morrissey

Ecorazzi.com scrutinises Morrissey's comments on Lady Gaga's meat dress:

...We told you about Lady Gaga’s infamous meat dress being inducted into the Cleveland Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as part of their “Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power” exhibit, and now vegan activist and singer Morrissey is speaking out about it.

You’d expect the guy who was able to make a musical festival go veg for a day in his honor to have some choice words for the meat dress, but instead the interview he gave to the Daily Telegraph reveals that he is more understanding of the motives.

Michael Deacon, who interviewed Morrissey, asked, “…
http://www.ecorazzi.com/2011/06/20/morrissey-comments-on-lady-gagas-meat-dress/

Thank you for the find.

At last someone asks the question ~

"Daily Telegraph: You’ve said time and again that The Smiths will never reform. But what about just you and Johnny Marr getting together on stage and playing the old songs? So many people would love that – is it really impossible?

Morrissey: More important than what you’ve just said is my belief that it was musically so good and so perfect and then it ended, and that was Fate taking control. And that’s how it should be.

Daily Telegraph: So if the two of you were to play one more concert together, you think that would tarnish everything?

Morrissey: I think whether it did look wrong or it didn’t look wrong, many people would say it looked wrong. And I have enough to live with as things stand, without more accusations and more criticism.

Daily Telegraph: Forget the criticism. Think of all the people who would love it.

Morrissey: But then there’s something about the public always wanting a reformation here and there from such a body and such a band, just simply because they feel, “We’re the public and we can demand it.” And once it happens, nobody’s actually really interested. I mean, can you think of a reformation that continued to be fantastic after the first articles and the first concerts and so forth? After the reformation, six months later, all the musicians begin to feel how they always did about each other. And it rots."

~ And is answered by a non-denial denial? :)

I think its a shame that they don't reunite even just for a few shows - if only just to see them reconciled

I think the clue here is in the last sentence (reformed partners) "begin to feel how they always did about each other." - Morrissey and Marr appeared to have had a good relationship during The Smiths, clearly it soured towards the end but for the most part it was strong and inspiring - so what does he mean?. It appears and I'm guessing here, that Morrissey still feels let down by Marr, because of how it all finished, betrayed even. Rightly or wrongly (and i think possibly rightly) he still blames Marr for breaking up the band (and i realise that being around Morrissey has probably never been an easy ride) on top of that he still feels wronged by Marr for breaking up the friendship, for not standing by him, for listening to the whisperers who told him he was the true talent in the group, for leaving without explaining and for turning his back and publicly belittling him in the press.

I think the only way a reformation between Morrissey and Marr happens now would be for Marr to say publicly or even privately that he regrets all that now and that he is sorry for his part in the break up of the partnership and the friendship. - but unfortunately, not least for Marr, that's not likely to happen

As much as I'd love to see/hear of M + M reconnecting (to do new songs, preferably, tho that's not an option expressed by the DT writer), I have to admit that Morrissey is probably right. People would be absolutely ecstatic for about 10 minutes, but then the carping would start. Why don't they do this/that/why aren't they 22 years old anymore?, etc...

I think its a shame that they don't reunite even just for a few shows - if only just to see them reconciled

I think the clue here is in the last sentence (reformed partners) "begin to feel how they always did about each other." - Morrissey and Marr appeared to have had a good relationship during The Smiths, clearly it soured towards the end but for the most part it was strong and inspiring - so what does he mean?. It appears and I'm guessing here, that Morrissey still feels let down by Marr, because of how it all finished, betrayed even. Rightly or wrongly (and i think possibly rightly) he still blames Marr for breaking up the band (and i realise that being around Morrissey has probably never been an easy ride) on top of that he still feels wronged by Marr for breaking up the friendship, for not standing by him, for listening to the whisperers who told him he was the true talent in the group, for leaving without explaining and for turning his back and publicly belittling him in the press.

I think the only way a reformation between Morrissey and Marr happens now would be for Marr to say publicly or even privately that he regrets all that now and that he is sorry for his part in the break up of the partnership and the friendship. - but unfortunately, not least for Marr, that's not likely to happen

Marr is just as stubborn as Morrissey. An apology would never happen.

What a fab (yes, the word 'fab' just made an appearance) interview. I particularly like the bit about cats, I think many of us do the same whenever we're strolling about. He doesn't feel dated or brash in this interview; he seems perfectly humble and warm. Can't wait to see him on the 25th, I'm hoping to achieve front-row status.

Marr is just as stubborn as Morrissey. An apology would never happen.

Really? I always thought Marr was far, far less stubborn than Morrissey. Johnny is the one who always gives vague answers like "Who knows / Stranger things have happened/ It would have to be something amazing.." etc when the Smiths reunion question comes up, whereas Morrissey always gives a flat-out "Never". If he could put his pride/insecurity aside, I think Marr would be very open to the idea of hooking up with Moz again - but as Smiler said, he'd have to apologise first.

Really? I always thought Marr was far, far less stubborn than Morrissey. Johnny is the one who always gives vague answers like "Who knows / Stranger things have happened/ It would have to be something amazing.." etc when the Smiths reunion question comes up, whereas Morrissey always gives a flat-out "Never". If he could put his pride/insecurity aside, I think Marr would be very open to the idea of hooking up with Moz again - but as Smiler said, he'd have to apologise first.

Lol. But Johnny is also the one who slagged off Morrissey and his solo career for years too...

Thank you for posting this. The old bugger always gives you a chuckle...:)

Lol. But Johnny is also the one who slagged off Morrissey and his solo career for years too...

I think that was wounded pride at his own lack of solo success, rather than any malice toward Morrissey's career. The criticism has been incredibly petulant - 'don't trust a man with a vertical fringe / I'd rather die than wear a tie on stage' - etc, and I can't see any other reason for it. If you watch Marr's interview with Paul Morley from last year, he's incredibly warm about 'Mozzer'. The pride is the issue, really.

Well, Adele is the one true talent of recent years..she is beyond trends.
I also thought this was a good interview...
Although I do think Moz and Marr making some good music and the doing a few live gigs would be a great idea. I do not think it would sully anything at all

It is a good interview. A found Morrissey a lot more serious this time around. There seemed to be less of playing games with the media, this time a more relaxed Morrissey.

I particularly liked Morrissey for saying that it's ok to be single. For someone whose ship never sailed, (it never berthed) I took great comfort from this. For someone in his position he has so many more opportunities than the rest of us. He's turned down advances and is happy being single. Our lives may be summed up while we stir our cup-a-soups for dinner, but at least we're happy and doing well on our own. More importantly, it's ok to have a private life, and maintain it as private. Not OMG updates on Facebook all the time about nothing of interest to a living soul.

His comments about record labels really only letting you have one chance at fame are very true. He's a realist to know that he won't comeback as popular as last time. He's starting to become comfortable in the statesman of 80's music. And if that involves being outspoken then that's the only way I will have him. Appeasement only lets apathy and the common majority win. Most of the time the majority can be wrong. I'll will always stand by him for animal rights, but never for his views on Northern Ireland.

For those detractors saying that's he's looking old, fat, boring. You only say that because that is what you think everyone else is thinking. You run with the herd. From watching on the internet on the other side of the world I see Morrissey looking great. (it's not fat, in men it's called thickening out). His singing is strong and holding out. No self respecting man takes his shirt off aged 52. Pop star or not. You just don't do it. Morrissey knows that. The smaller venues are perfect. "Action Is My Middle Name" is starting to shape up as a good song.

He still hasn't escaped the clutches of Roman Catholicism 'tho has he?

Back
Top Bottom