The Death Of Bob Hoskins - TTY

I was a big fan, especially of the Long good Friday. I also thought his more gentile roles very touching, Last Orders comes to mind, he did the whole range,

Felicia's Journey is another gem. R.I.P.

Why are you sending condolences to Morrissey? It's inappropriate as he wasn't related to Bob Hoskins.

Are you related to Morrissey? Why do you call him 'my Mozzer'? I can understand you feel you have a personal relationship to his products as a consumer, so i assume you mean "My Mozzer CDs/downloads/t-shirts/concert tickets".

Smiles @ Brummie There should be a term made up for such things. You know , like necrophilia or any other number of subjects. One who romances their fan altar of collected consumer goods .

I was a big fan, especially of the Long good Friday. I also thought his more gentile roles very touching, Last Orders comes to mind, he did the whole range,

Felicia's Journey is another gem. R.I.P.

Well, he worked on a kibbutz but I'm not really clear what you mean.

Bought The Long Good Friday a while back on the strength of Morrissey's recommendation. As everyone says , Hoskins' last scene in the back of the car is wonderful ; the various expressions that flit across his face over the two or so minutes as he realises everything has finished. Shock , a wry acceptance of fate escalating to a type of black humour , seconds of poignant blank stillness and the inevitable regret and remembering ...

One of Hoskin's best performances was Iago opposite Anthony Hopkins' Othello.
Following along with the film as I read the play a second time saved my behind on an exam in college. Oddly enough, I left directly after that class to go see Morrissey at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia (Southpaw Grammar), which was the first of two times I go to meet him. I had to wait until Durham, NC, just a few years ago, Sharpie in hand to get the autograph on my arm that is now a tattoo.

Is Benny actually Gary Bushell?
This actually makes sense.
How shocking. And I have actually exchanged something approaching polite conversation with it.
Benjamin, say it aint so.

Peterb it ain't so, I am just your average grafting butcher. I have no idea why Charlie Chiseldick is so obsessed with his Bushel comments. The last time he mentioned the name I googled it and it turns out he was a writer for the scum newspaper.
"Read all about it ! Charlie Chiseldick is a scum reader" (ignore him he's just a pipe at the shit plant).

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Come on Grant, you're beginning to sound like Moz.
The Royal family as individuals are of no consequence whatsoever. It's the institutions that need to go.
Surely you don't wish death on anybody?

Peter the lemmings are just going through the motions they can't help it you can expect to see more posts like this one
It's just the usual case of monkey see monkey do, or do you remember the song 'simple Simon says' ?
"Have a pop at the Royals, simple Tosser says" !

Why are you sending condolences to Morrissey? It's inappropriate as he wasn't related to Bob Hoskins.

Are you related to Morrissey? Why do you call him 'my Mozzer'? I can understand you feel you have a personal relationship to his products as a consumer, so i assume you mean "My Mozzer CDs/downloads/t-shirts/concert tickets".

Were you bullied at school?

My theory is he was an only child.

My theory is you and Velvis fear BB as Hannibal Lectre was feared by his inmates and keepers, you should be very careful there are dark forces on here you know.

My theory is you and Velvis fear BB as Hannibal Lectre was feared by his inmates and keepers, you should be very careful there are dark forces on here you know.

The only dark force around here is Kristeen lurking to make plans on how to spin answering questions about her lies. :p

Amie-the-American-Manager

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/apr/30/bob-hoskins-dies

Bob Hoskins was a north London lout made good, the onetime road digger who made himself a star. He was the psycho-gangster in The Long Good Friday, the doleful bulldog in Mona Lisa and one of the most durable - and durably interesting - actors in British cinema. In good films or bad, Hoskins was impossible to ignore; a foursquare dynamo who always made his presence felt.

So what if balding, bristling Hoskins was never matinee idol material? That was hardly the point. Hoskins came to strike a balance and to set us straight. The critic Pauline Kael billed him as "a testicle on legs", a barbed put-down which nonetheless nailed the man's peculiar, rumble-tumble virility. The actor, meanwhile, was wont to describe himself as "five-foot-six cubic", as if he were as utilitarian as a house-brick. I prefer to see him as a kind of unglamorous cultural cornerstone. Take Hoskins away and the whole structure is weakened.

Acting, he claimed, was the making of him. Born to a working-class family in Finsbury Park, he bounced through a mess of odd jobs before stumbling drunk on stage for an audition at London's Unity theatre. His subsequent career appeared to surprise even him, and sent the actor see-sawing between playing baleful pugs and bumbling every-men. He was heartbreaking as the faithless sheet music salesman in Dennis Potter's Pennies From Heaven, purely terrifying as the murderous Harry Shand in The Long Good Friday and quietly affecting as the wayward saint in Shane Meadows's 1997 breakthrough TwentyFourSeven.

Along the way, he found a foothold in Hollywood (appearing in the likes of Mermaids and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?) and risked over-exposure with a succession of British Telecom ads that appeared to be loved and loathed in about equal measure. "I can give you 500,000 reasons why I made those adverts," he quipped. "All with the queen's head on 'em."

Hoskins credited his friend Michael Caine for opening the doors for the working-class British actors who followed. Caine, he said, was the revolutionary; the first romantic lead who was allowed to keep wearing his glasses and hang on to his cockney accent and made it possible for a bunch of other talented young upstarts to do the same. And yet, tellingly, in the decades since Hoskins had his heyday, the pendulum has swung right back. The hard nut and the everyman are both out of favour. The front-end of British cinema is again the preserve of the willowy Etonian. And Hoskins, far from being a Johnny-come-lately, has turned out to be an anomaly; a talented hooligan who gatecrashed the system or (in his words) "the wrong name on the right list". We need more wrong names to keep that list right.

Today, nearly five decades after he bounded drunk to the stage, Bob Hoskins has belatedly made his exit. He leaves behind a host of brilliant roles and a memory of a bygone strain of British cinema, one that was full of salt and vinegar, sweetness and rage. His life was extraordinary and his death leaves a gap. It measures five-foot-six cubic and it cries out to be filled.

What a beautifully written Obitury, hope the Press acknowledge him as well as you have Anon. xXx

the good ones are always taken away,while we are left with the royal family,i await the day they start to pop off.

We were robbed of 'Oskins at such a tragically early age, and yes, though they say the good die young, can we ever be truly prepared? I am bereft. We can only guess what his poor parents and grandparents must be going through. Who next? Brucie?

One week to go until the circus show hit the road again.

Old Tosserrey and the group of village idiots he calls a band are sure to self destruct.

Benny I predict the curtain will drop before he leaves Texas.

Wait with excitement for the pending train wreak.

The Mad Brewer

PREDICTION !

The old Tosser will be wheeled on stage upright on a market sack truck.
Hayley Cropper backdrop/ Who is Mike Joyce ?
Talks bollocks about his latest obsession ie Jimmy Clitheroe
Song for dead Bob.
Bastardised Smiths songs
2,345 th of the gang to die
Meat is boring and so is the video
The odd teasing new song
"As I was saying to Spewlia" !
Security to stage manage the lemmings onstage for the traditional encore blessing.
I've got the shits again cancel the gig and say Boz has come Down with chicken pox.

BORING !!!!!!!

PREDICTION !

The old Tosser will be wheeled on stage upright on a market sack truck.
Hayley Cropper backdrop/ Who is Mike Joyce ?
Talks bollocks about his latest obsession ie Jimmy Clitheroe
Song for dead Bob.
Bastardised Smiths songs
2,345 th of the gang to die
Meat is boring and so is the video
The odd teasing new song
"As I was saying to Spewlia" !
Security to stage manage the lemmings onstage for the traditional encore blessing.
I've got the shits again cancel the gig and say Boz has come Down with chicken pox.

BORING !!!!!!!

I can understand your bitterness on this thread Gary. Now you're alive everyone thinks you're a c*** and when you die everyone will still think you're a c***. There will be no glowing tributes to you. Just laughter.

taxi for benny the butcher and anonymous please,to the nearest slaughter house,poor souls

It was a slip of the spelling dodo.

He knew exactly what you meant, very odd behaviour, for some reason he enjoys trying to make people look foolish, even total strangers. Apparently it's not because he was bullied at school hmmmmm… maybe not but there must be some deep rooted reason he feels so inadequate that he needs to constantly do this.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom