Morrissey Central "The importance of an artist can be found in the efforts to silence him." (June 30, 2023)

IMG_5645.jpeg
IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg
IMG_5648.jpeg

unnamed-2.jpg

The Smiths werent doing anything new, that jangly sound was not new
Don't agree. Their jangly sound in combination with the unconventional lyrics was never seen/heard before. Please inform us of a Smiths-like band before 1983 that you can think of.

Don't agree. Their jangly sound in combination with the unconventional lyrics was never seen/heard before. Please inform us of a Smiths-like band before 1983 that you can think of.
"Inform us"?? Are we in class now? I said the jangly sound, it's a bit self-explanatory. And if you want to get real about it, Morrissey stole a lot of his lyrics, so nothing new there. Jangle + stolen lyrics = Smiths
It does not matter what I say, you will just respond with Morrissey and the Smiths are the bestest ever, that is all you do. If you want to think they are the most unique thing that ever happened, you are certainly free to do so, but if that was really true, Morrissey and Marr would have huge careers right now, because you know, they are so unique.
Morrissey is listing all the things he can't or does not have and if he was as brilliant as you think, people would be banging down his door to sign him, but well, no one is interested, and that speaks for itself.
As much as I really dislike Johnny, I can at least see he is trying to make the best of what he has by playing with other bands and he at least enjoying himself, not issuing moaning missives from a half assed website run by his dimwit nephew. Johnny does not have a FiDo either, I might be wrong about Morrissey being the more intelligent of the two.

"Inform us"?? Are we in class now? I said the jangly sound, it's a bit self-explanatory. And if you want to get real about it, Morrissey stole a lot of his lyrics, so nothing new there. Jangle + stolen lyrics = Smiths
It does not matter what I say, you will just respond with Morrissey and the Smiths are the bestest ever, that is all you do. If you want to think they are the most unique thing that ever happened, you are certainly free to do so, but if that was really true, Morrissey and Marr would have huge careers right now, because you know, they are so unique.
Morrissey is listing all the things he can't or does not have and if he was as brilliant as you think, people would be banging down his door to sign him, but well, no one is interested, and that speaks for itself.
As much as I really dislike Johnny, I can at least see he is trying to make the best of what he has by playing with other bands and he at least enjoying himself, not issuing moaning missives from a half assed website run by his dimwit nephew. Johnny does not have a FiDo either, I might be wrong about Morrissey being the more intelligent of the two.
Ah, trolling us again then, like we are used to.

The Velvets were hugely influential, yet did Lou and John Cale always have huge careers afterwards?
You make no sense whatsoever.

If you don't like The Smiths that's fine, just don't troll us with you non-sensical bs please.

Ah, trolling us again then, like we are used to.

The Velvets were hugely influential, yet did Lou and John Cale always have huge careers afterwards?
You make no sense whatsoever.

If you don't like The Smiths that's fine, just don't troll us with you non-sensical bs please.
I am really sorry your idol has been reduced to a nostalgia act that can't get a record deal, but calling me a troll won't change it, unfortunately.

I am really sorry your idol has been reduced to a nostalgia act that can't get a record deal, but calling me a troll won't change it, unfortunately.
'Smiths= stolen lyrics and derivative jangle' is the most troll-like comment ever on Solo.

But please keep visiting this site every day, you are hilarious :)

Yes, woke is fascism. It is the absolute prime example of fascism. "Believe what we tell you, do as we say, adhere to groupthink precepts, have complete adherence to and dependence on The State, or you will be punished."

Best material of his career? Yes. Absolutely.

Woke isn't even a real thing outside of the black consciousness movement. it's like the war on Christmas, it really only exists in conservative newsrooms.

Minority groups standing up for themselves and making a lot of noise isn't fascism.

Stephen, don't confuse your predicament, with washed up has beens (Robbie Williams springs to mind) YOU are a star!

'Smiths= stolen lyrics and derivative jangle' is the most troll-like comment ever on Solo.

But please keep visiting this site every day, you are hilarious :)

At least she has an open mind and is happy to debate/discuss Morrissey's pro's and cons. unlike you who simply assumes Morrissey can do no wrong.

Suede is an important artist and has no bother getting record deals. They played last night in Spain and my friend is on holidays there and found out by chance about the concert which was right beside his campsite. He went and had a great time, standing a couple of feet from Brett Anderson.

At least she has an open mind and is happy to debate/discuss Morrissey's pro's and cons. unlike you who simply assumes Morrissey can do no wrong.
Well, don't know about open debate if you show your dislike of Morrissey and The Smiths in every other post like she does. But each to their own.

Woke isn't even a real thing outside of the black consciousness movement. it's like the war on Christmas, it really only exists in conservative newsrooms.

Minority groups standing up for themselves and making a lot of noise isn't fascism.
I don't know if left wing lesbians like Kathleen Stock or Julie Bindel would agree with your idea that it only really exists in conservative newsrooms.
Whilst I would agree that 'woke' is a vague and imprecise term, it does seem useful as a general term to describe the fairly new and modern phenomenon of an over-emphasis on religious / puritanical notions of virtue, sin, heresy, and blasphemy in popular discourse. Of course such notions have often been part of popular discourse in the past, but what makes 'woke' new is that it is entirely secular.
And ex-communication, of course. There does seem to be a rather worrying trend towards metaphorical or literal expulsion from society. Some comedians and politicians have even had their bank accounts cancelled. Women's groups have found it impossible to hold events speaking up for women. With the trend towards digital money and one day the eradication of paper money, the potential for social control and thought control is the thing of Orwellian nightmare. China leads the way.
Does anyone really think that BOT would have been killed off if Moz had kept his views 'virtuous' and 'on message' and there was nothing in the album that was controversial? Moz has become a non-person. A was.

The world of Morrissey Solo is full of Crashing Bores. Morrissey can be blamed for a lot of things, but a lot of people never liked Morrissey and Morrissey's controversial political views gave them an excuse to get that hate out there. Morrissey is still very influential in the pop world and still produces top notch music.
Otherwise, what would justify this hatred and the attempt that has been made to silence it completely? In my country, just to avoid mentioning Morrissey's name there were some alternative radio stations and some online music newspapers that didn't report any news about Andy Rourke's death. Yes, things got to this ridiculous point. I've been writing regularly to some of the radio stations that used to play Smiths and Morrissey asking for an explanation for why they're not playing any music now. The answer: "It's an Editorial Choice." Just do not see who does not want. Morrissey is being lynched by the press and the music industry for having a different opinion. There's little we can do about it, the only way to fight it is to stay with Morrissey. Morrissey is a unique artist in the world and we have the right to preserve and protect his legacy forever. What artist in the whole world, hated by almost all the journalistic music press, without a publisher or manager, could afford to go on a world tour? I often think about it, and the only explanation I find is that ultra special, mysterious and secret connection that unites us with this great artist and that is almost impossible to explain.

Well said.

I don't know if left wing lesbians like Kathleen Stock or Julie Bindel would agree with your idea that it only really exists in conservative newsrooms.
Whilst I would agree that 'woke' is a vague and imprecise term, it does seem useful as a general term to describe the fairly new and modern phenomenon of an over-emphasis on religious / puritanical notions of virtue, sin, heresy, and blasphemy in popular discourse. Of course such notions have often been part of popular discourse in the past, but what makes 'woke' new is that it is entirely secular.
And ex-communication, of course. There does seem to be a rather worrying trend towards metaphorical or literal expulsion from society. Some comedians and politicians have even had their bank accounts cancelled. Women's groups have found it impossible to hold events speaking up for women. With the trend towards digital money and one day the eradication of paper money, the potential for social control and thought control is the thing of Orwellian nightmare. China leads the way.
Does anyone really think that BOT would have been killed off if Moz had kept his views 'virtuous' and 'on message' and there was nothing in the album that was controversial? Moz has become a non-person. A was.

But still woke isn't an actual organised movement as such, a lot of it is the internet giving formerly isolated small groups combined power(including the very far right)and you would have to ban pushback and accountability etc to stop it. Sometimes it gets out of control but it isn't a fascist leader directing it, it's the roar of the crowd and it goes in both directions(e.g bud light/anti-pride lunacy).

Kathleen Stock is about a clash of values of inclusion, generations and waves of feminism, she was protested by her students, new woke versus her older version, most lesbians in the UK today don't agree with the lesbian purity stuff she and Bindel push for. she could have stuck with it, her Uni wasn't forcing her out and the protests weren't that bad from what i remember. Again it's that global internet noise that gets scary and threatening, so she felt like she had to leave her job. But she hasn't vanished from the planet she got an OBE in 2021, she's part of the establishment. It's an issue of modern communications and i'm not sure there's a real answer to it.

He is an amazing artist with a place in pop history and culture that will stand the test of time, he has nothing left to prove to anyone. This 'look at my signature, look at my sales, I'm still a star' thing is utterly beneath him, it's absolutely embarrassing. Have some dignity Moz and stop depending on this stuff for validation and self esteem, you have achieved everything.

Orange Juice for one. Or, speaking as an Australian, the Go-Betweens. Listen to their 1983 album "Before Hollywood" - witty, wry, intelligent lyrics, jangly guitars, an obvious precursor to the Smiths (and Morrissey is/was an acknowledged fan).

Orange Juice for one. Or, speaking as an Australian, the Go-Betweens. Listen to their 1983 album "Before Hollywood" - witty, wry, intelligent lyrics, jangly guitars, an obvious precursor to the Smiths (and Morrissey is/was an acknowledged fan).
Both great bands, yes. Also Aztec Camera and The Monochrome Set have been cited as influences.

Still I think The Smiths took this sound to another level, certainly commercially.

Both great bands, yes. Also Aztec Camera and The Monochrome Set have been cited as influences.

Still I think The Smiths took this sound to another level, certainly commercially.

Yeah, just listened to a bit of Aztec, Juice, & Go Betweens from 1982-83 period.

In comparison, Marr’s writing and playing is far deeper, and when it punches, it punches hard.

Sure, they may have been inspired by and enjoyed those albums, but as you say, Marr took it to another level, and that’s before we even bring Morrissey’s contribution into the equation in why the Smiths are as unique as they still are.

Yeah, just listened to a bit of Aztec, Juice, & Go Betweens from 1982-83 period.

In comparison, Marr’s writing and playing is far deeper, and when it punches, it punches hard.

Sure, they may have been inspired by and enjoyed those albums, but as you say, Marr took it to another level, and that’s before we even bring Morrissey’s contribution into the equation in why the Smiths are as unique as they still are.
It is mind blowing that this even needed to be typed into sentences

Back
Top Bottom