The most oddest Morrissey songs

Dario_Western

1) Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning - I think this has to be the most offbeat song Moz has ever done. His vocals sound slightly stifled and the usual rock backing is replaced by strings and some eerie clarinet playing.

2) Journalists Who Lie - great lyrics, but the backing track is absolutely wacky - sounding like it came from the kid's show "Vision On"

3) Mute Witness - he sounded like he'd been listening to Sparks' "This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us" and Roxy Music's "Virginia Plain" a trillion times before laying down this track. It's certainly one of the funniest tracks on the under-rated "Kill Uncle".

4) We'll Let You Know - It's got a nice tune, but the long part in the middle with the strange sound effects and whistles is what makes this track one that would not make it onto daytime radio.

5) November Spawned A Monster - I'm surprised that this song was a top 10 hit for him in the UK, given the amount of media bagging he had at the time. It's actually quite a funky and danceable song, but the bit with Mary Margaret O'Hara doing the Yoko Ono impressions with the flute solo creeps me out. The video for it his hilarious though, and I love the bit where he plays the bar of chocolate in time with the harmonica.

Sometimes its not easy to search for a past thread or to see if theres already one about a certain subject.

At the weekend i was trying to find the thread with the meat is murder t-shirt that someone had made with the song lyrics on and couldnt find it so i gave up :rolleyes:

I would say Honey You Know Where To Find Me, since Morrissey's vocals on that song sound a little effortless and at the end you hear him coughing etc. but this is because it was an unfinished track so I don't know if it qualifies.

Pregnant For The Last Time is a bit strange for Moz. It's an out and out rockabilly song and although at the time he was adding a rockabilly edge to most of his live songs I can't recall any other studio recording having such a strong rockabilly sound. Not out of any other singles anyway.

Good choices, but can anything possibly be odder than Sorrow Will Come In The End?

Sweety-Pie
Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
Mute Witness
Sorrow Will Come In The End
Black-Eyed Susan

I love his "strange" songs...

1) Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning - I think this has to be the most offbeat song Moz has ever done. His vocals sound slightly stifled and the usual rock backing is replaced by strings and some eerie clarinet playing.

I skip this track everytime I listen to Vauxhall as I find it rather creepy..

I skip this track everytime I listen to Vauxhall as I find it rather creepy..

It is creepy but way cool.

"She was...
Nobody's nothing..."

The songs I find odd would be the aforementioned Journalists Who Lie, Sweetie Pie, and Black Eyed Susan. All barely qualify as songs. Although, I did hear a nice edit some kind person made in which the break down in the middle of Black Eyed Susan is seamlessly edited out. Makes for a very decent tune...

2) Journalists Who Lie - great lyrics, but the backing track is absolutely wacky - sounding like it came from the kid's show "Vision On"

3) Mute Witness - he sounded like he'd been listening to Sparks' "This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us" and Roxy Music's "Virginia Plain" a trillion times before laying down this track. It's certainly one of the funniest tracks on the under-rated "Kill Uncle".

4) We'll Let You Know - It's got a nice tune, but the long part in the middle with the strange sound effects and whistles is what makes this track one that would not make it onto daytime radio.

5) November Spawned A Monster - I'm surprised that this song was a top 10 hit for him in the UK, given the amount of media bagging he had at the time. It's actually quite a funky and danceable song, but the bit with Mary Margaret O'Hara doing the Yoko Ono impressions with the flute solo creeps me out. The video for it his hilarious though, and I love the bit where he plays the bar of chocolate in time with the harmonica.

It is creepy but way cool.
We should all compile our "do not play" cd of Morrissey album tracks/singles and b-sides that we could do without..

Sorrow Will Come in the End would be my lead off track! :)

Funny I was never a big fan of Dear God Please Help Me untill the last tour but was extremely moved by his performance of it at the Hammerstein..

Sometimes its not easy to search for a past thread or to see if theres already one about a certain subject.

Especially if you were searching for the phrase "most oddest."

At the weekend i was trying to find the thread with the meat is murder t-shirt that someone had made with the song lyrics on and couldnt find it so i gave up :rolleyes:

Never give up; start a new thread and somebody will point you to the one you were looking for. ;)

Funny I was never a big fan of Dear God Please Help Me untill the last tour but was extremely moved by his performance of it at the Hammerstein..
The songs I find odd would be the aforementioned Journalists Who Lie, Sweetie Pie, and Black Eyed Susan. All barely qualify as songs.
QFT.

I Don't Mind if You Forget Me... I like the lyrics, of course, but the music is actually so poppy and chronically late-80s that I almost can't believe it's a Morrissey song. I sounds more like OMD. But I like the squiggly guitar lead in. That falls under production, doesn't it? Whatever.

Oooo, I love all the songs you just mentioned! Even Journalists Who Lie:D It's wonderfully wacky track. I adore Sweetie Pie (seriously!) and Black-Eyed Susan, too. The only one I don't particularly like is Sorrow Will Come In The End but I guess it has its moments too:rolleyes:...

Last edited:
Has no one mentioned Get Off the Stage yet? Accordians are awesome if you are They Might Be Giants, but they aren't for Moz. ;)

Has no one mentioned Get Off the Stage yet? Accordians are awesome if you are They Might Be Giants, but they aren't for Moz. ;)

i haven't heard that one in years (and it's shit) but the accordion on the live version of Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself and That's How People Grow Up is great stuff

King Leer is surely a bizarre ditty (a homeless chihuahua...), but I do love it. I even researched one of the lyrics, found out what Tizer (a red soda) meant and then saw cans of it on an episode of Eastenders the next day. I am really getting an education thanks to Moz!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom