The Parenthood Thread

my son's Scout Pinewood Derby car with working emergency lights

pine2.jpg

pine1.jpg

my four children at similar ages...can you pick the boy?

picture.php

Re: Yummy mummy and dolly daddy

For your interest pleaase read this

BTW, some users have grand children. :eek:

Yes, some old bastards on here are grand parents:cool::guitar:

Kewpie, have you seen the film Scum?
The question ''Who's the daddy?'' is a big part of the film..... different to 'who is a (mummy or) daddy.....

Jukebox Jury

One of the teachers at my daughter's school insists on being called "Ma'am." She says it shows respect. I don't see this. She's training kids to speak like servants. It really disturbs me.

Am I silly?

I really can't stand this woman. She has a tight little hairdo, polyester pants, and a thick accent.

One of the teachers at my daughter's school insists on being called "Ma'am." She says it shows respect. I don't see this. She's training kids to speak like servants. It really disturbs me.

Am I silly?

I don't think you are. There should be mutual respect between two people, even if one is much younger than the other. If the teacher demands to be called "Ma'am" then your daughter and other kids in the class should be able to decide what they are called. It's a rather strange power dynamic between old and young people. Like you said, many people will say it shows "respect", but you will rarely ever see these people showing that same respect back to the younger children. Understandably there is a lot of difference in experience, knowledge, etc. but having a child or anyone call someone an arbitrary name such as "Ma'am" for no real reason is ridiculous, in my opinion, especially if that same "respect" isn't returned. It really just shows the want to be in authority and power over someone else.

Last edited:

Am I silly?

I really can't stand this woman. She has a tight little hairdo, polyester pants, and a thick accent.

I do not think you are being silly, however I would not be worried about it, its basically the title she wants to be called. It's like calling a male teacher sir which we do here in Britain, usually though the female teachers would be addressed Mrs or Miss whatever. I do not think the kids are being trained to speak like servents, I am assuming its just this one class right? nothing wrong with the kids learning some respect at school, not all parents are decent at teaching their kids manners and respect. I find a lot of kids now really would not know the meaning of it and it dismays me.
Sounds like this teacher is a rather old fashioned type.

My daughter's form tutor insists on being called "Madam" and she's not French.I think its because her real name is quadruple barrelled or something.It does seem strange.

I don't think you are. There should be mutual respect between two people, even if one is much younger than the other. If the teacher demands to be called "Ma'am" then your daughter and other kids in the class should be able to decide what they are called. It's a rather strange power dynamic between old and young people. Like you said, many people will say it shows "respect", but you will rarely ever see these people showing that same respect back to the younger children. Understandably there is a lot of difference in experience, knowledge, etc. but having a child or anyone call someone an arbitrary name such as "Ma'am" for no real reason is ridiculous, in my opinion, especially if that same "respect" isn't returned. It really just shows the want to be in authority and power over someone else.

*nod*

And it's just disruptive. Reminding a child to call you "ma'am" when addressing you makes for stilted conversation and learning. It's like constantly reminding the child that s/he's under the authority of the person they're talking with. Why?! I think that in 2009 this is an unreasonable expectation.

:mad:

I do not think you are being silly, however I would not be worried about it, its basically the title she wants to be called. It's like calling a male teacher sir which we do here in Britain, usually though the female teachers would be addressed Mrs or Miss whatever. I do not think the kids are being trained to speak like servents, I am assuming its just this one class right? nothing wrong with the kids learning some respect at school, not all parents are decent at teaching their kids manners and respect. I find a lot of kids now really would not know the meaning of it and it dismays me.
Sounds like this teacher is a rather old fashioned type.

See, I don't think it teaches respect though. In fact, my daughter and I respect this woman less and less. You can't make people respect you by insisting on being called "ma'am" or "sir" or "miss." All that accomplishes is making people fear your wrath when the expectation isn't met.

When I look back to my school days, the teachers I respected the most were the ones who were casual and caring towards us kids. NOT the stiff teachers with all the arbitrary rules who insisted on their grand titles.

*sigh* I hate seeing my daughter having to put up with the idiots in this horrible world.

My little baby is 8! :)

For his birthday treat we took him to watch Reading play on Sunday...they lost 2-1 but he had a great day!

Happy Birthday my sweet and tender HOOLIGAN!

Dans8thbirthday005.jpg

Love Alma xxx

Sweet pic of your birthday boy, Alma.:)

Jeez, they grow up so fast eh ? My oldest turned 8 last December, by next year I reckon he is going to be taller than me, he'll still be my baby though:p

Back
Top Bottom