The Smiths: The dirtiest break-up in rock history?

MyDoppelganger

Such a Nice Guy
Can anyone think of a band/group that has had a messier break-up than The Smiths?

One bandmate sued another bandmate for a million pounds, one bandmate wishes "the very, very worst" for another. There's obviously some deep hate and grudges held between several of the members.

Wouldn't it be funny if, after all that, they somehow all got back together and played a few shows :lbf:

"Deep hate" on Morrissey's part towards Joyce maybe, but I wouldn't say the rest of them are feuding. Andy and Johnny are still friends if his appearance at the Cribs' NY shows is anything to go by, and Morrissey & Marr are still in touch, if not exactly living in each other's pockets. The split was a long time ago and they have all moved on. I certainly wouldn't say it was the 'dirtiest breakup in rock history'.

I think the only feud left is that between Joyce and Moz/Marr. There will never ever be a full smiths reunion as we knew it, but a Moz/Marr reunion is very much still alive. As they both have admitted to meeting up and talking via email in the past, it must be inevitable that one day that they will both be on the same stage playing a Smiths song together

I'm not holding my breath for a Moz/Marr reunion either. Moz is too proud of his solo career to bring Marr back into the fold, and Marr is still searching for the kind of post-Smiths solo success Moz has had. To return to the Smiths' material would be a step backwards for both of them.

One of, yes.

I don't know if it is technically a "break-up", but I prefer Milli Vanilli as the top choice. The two members didn't split up, exactly, but if we broaden the category to include spectacular flameouts then MV has to be #1. It's not very often a musical entity not only dissolves but the group members are shown to be not actually musicians at all.

Favorite detail? Their Wiki page discography lists an album called "Back And In Attack" from 1998-- next to it the page notes that it was "Unreleased". :blushing:

I think it would have sold some copies if it had been "Milli Vanilli: In Back Attack". :)

Of course, it's hard to joke about this since Rob Pilatus offed himself. He was probably a victim more than anything else. But that just means the story of MV is an indictment of the music industry, thus making their case all the "dirtier". No other story is quite as sad and seedy.

As with so many things, The Beatles set a high water mark with their break-up:

There weren't just significant "musical differences," there was drug abuse, dueling shady business managers, a failing corporation, multiple walk-outs by multiple band members, long-standing personal feuds, and Yoko Ono (who really didn't help matters much).

Paul sued John George and Ringo, and the hurt feelings dragged on for years. John wrote and recorded bitter songs like "How Do You Sleep" about Paul (with George guest-starring on guitar for good measure).

Paul tussled with Yoko over the Lennon/McCartney songwriting credits until a few years ago - I'm not sure, but I think he finally gave up.

Now THAT was a sad, sad mess.

As with so many things, The Beatles set a high water mark with their break-up:

There weren't just significant "musical differences," there was drug abuse, dueling shady business managers, a failing corporation, multiple walk-outs by multiple band members, long-standing personal feuds, and Yoko Ono (who really didn't help matters much).

Paul sued John George and Ringo, and the hurt feelings dragged on for years. John wrote and recorded bitter songs like "How Do You Sleep" about Paul (with George guest-starring on guitar for good measure).

Paul tussled with Yoko over the Lennon/McCartney songwriting credits until a few years ago - I'm not sure, but I think he finally gave up.

Now THAT was a sad, sad mess.

Normally I wouldn't offer this answer as a meaningful one, but in this case it applies: THEY WERE GAJILLIONAIRES. :rolleyes:

To give an insight, Morrissey released his debut album shortly after the Smiths break-up. He got over it rather quickly.

Behinde the scene

To give an insight, Morrissey released his debut album shortly after the Smiths break-up. He got over it rather quickly.

I was shocked to read a letter Morrissey wrote to Stephen Street.

http://stephenstreet.net/vivahate.html

I understood Morrissey knew that Johnny needed to have some time off.
Actually he wasn't got over the break up so quickly, but totally overwhelmed by the success of Viva Hate.

Re: Behinde the scene

Yes. I was musing on the possibility that he had to put out Viva Hate as a matter of necessary self-promotion (and pressure from EMI) so he could stay fresh in the minds of people. Not just that, but for general enthusiasm of what was to come. He probably didn't get over it quickly, as I stated rather gruffly, but he was ready to move on,

The thing is, no one slammed a door or anything.

Normally I wouldn't offer this answer as a meaningful one, but in this case it applies: THEY WERE GAJILLIONAIRES. :rolleyes:

:straightface:

Being a gajillionaire in no way minimizes the fact that that was one messy break-up, with legal wrangles that were written up in law journals, and personal feuds that persisted for decades.

Even bazillionaires (especially bazillionaires) get very, very dirty.

:straightface:

Being a gajillionaire in no way minimizes the fact that that was one messy break-up, with legal wrangles that were written up in law journals, and personal feuds that persisted for decades.

Even bazillionaires (especially bazillionaires) get very, very dirty.

ALSO true. The more the money the nastier people become.

Its Johnny Marr's fault.He left.He seems like this passive-agressive,manipulative and sneaky type.And he likes to play victim.

errrrrrr

Its Johnny Marr's fault.
He left.
He seems like this passive-agressive, manipulative and sneaky type.
And he likes to play victim.

Do you know The Smiths didn't have a manager to deal with day-to-day business?
Morrissey and Johnny had to do everything by themselves.
If Morrissey could trust someone who could act as their manager, Johnny wouldn't had been pressured too much.

Back
Top Bottom