The Times: "Johnny Marr: How could Meryl Streep agree to be in Mamma Mia?" (March 19, 2024)

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
bc9ad7fbe406b871ad307207d0fba7c2ed6c1cfd.jpg

The guitarist lets us into his cultural life, from his love of David Hockney to making his friends watch a Joan Didion documentary

By Jake Helm.

Gated article - removed:

My favourite piece of music

For a long time now, it’s been My Goal’s Beyond by John McLaughlin. Like his work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra, it is in a genre entirely of its own. It’s unquantifiable and makes me feel a certain way, no matter what happens in the outside world.

The lyric I wish I’d written

“You’re going to reap just what you sow”, from Perfect Day by Lou Reed.

The instrument I wish I’d learnt

Piano. I can play it, but only in amateurish fashion. I should say though there are guitar players who play the piano nicely like Neil Young, Paul McCartney and David Bowie. They play it as a means to an end and do wonderful things with it. But I would like to be a few levels up from there.

The music that cheers me up

Any good pop music, which by definition usually means contemporary. There are things from my past that of course make me feel good. But there’s something about hearing music that’s fresh, upbeat and represents the modern world — it makes you feel that everything is OK.

I’m having a fantasy dinner party, I’ll invite these artists and authors

Gary Oldman, Muhammad Ali and certainly Marilyn Monroe.

And I’ll put on this music

Spirit Power: The Best of Johnny Marr.

Overrated

I don’t tend to like shitting on people, but Mamma Mia!, for God’s sake, or We Will Rock You or any of those sorts of musicals. How did it get to that? We’re supposed to go along with the idea that they’re good. What was Meryl Streep thinking she was doing starring in that film, and Julie Walters? What were they thinking? There are a lot of things culturally that we’ve just gone along with and they really must stop.

Underrated

Blindboy Boatclub, the artist and musician from Limerick, is best known as one half of the Irish comedy hip-hop group the Rubberbandits. He’s amazing, has such an interesting way of thinking and also hosts the brilliant series The Blindboy Podcast too. One of the best books I have ever read is his Topographia Hibernica. I can’t recommend him or it enough.

My favourite author

Aldous Huxley. People would assume I’m thinking about Brave New World orThe Doors of Perception, but I’m actually referring to his work after he moved to the United States in the second half of his life. His essays and lectures are even better than his earlier work. I rediscovered him in the Nineties and he is my actual hero. Everything you read of his is an education.

The book I’m reading

Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson. It’s a trip, moving around from style to style. The novel is loosely based on Greek mythology, but set in modern times. It’s relatable and super interesting. PJ Harvey introduced me to Carson, an intriguing cross between an essayist and a poet.

The book I couldn’t finish

The Perennial Philosophy by Aldous Huxley. Just couldn’t do it.

The book I’m ashamed I haven’t read

Ulysses by James Joyce. It just sounds so hard going. I love the idea of it and feel genuinely bad that I haven’t read it, but I do also feel like I know so much about it already. I admire it enough, without feeling the need to put myself through the hassle of reading it.

My favourite film

Sergio Leone’s film Once Upon a Time in America. When it was first released, I went to see it a few times and decided then it was the best thing I’d ever seen. I recently saw The End We Start From, starring Jodie Comer. It’s so good. Amazingly, I came away from it with this feeling of triumph of the human spirit. It says a lot about what it means to be human and what we fundamentally need, which is compassion, connection, love and understanding. And Comer is just so believable in the role.

The box set I’m hooked on

I’m rewatching Nurse Jackie. There’s so much good stuff out there that whenever I occasionally revisit old, great stuff, you forget how much it stands up. I like anything Edie Falco is in. I also have just rewatched the documentary Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold. I’ve watched it at least three times and whenever someone comes to my place that hasn’t watched it, I watch it with them.

My favourite TV series

It has to be Mad Men. One of my friends is eagle-eyed and noticed that when they put an album on a turntable, it has the correct label from the Sixties. That’s crazy.

The film I walked out on

There are loads, often stuff I take my kids to see and they don’t even notice I’d left. I didn’t enjoy Baby Driver — I didn’t like the music in that at all.

I wasted an evening watching

Manchester City play in the Champions League final in 2021.

The last movie that made me cry

These days I can cry at almost anything so I can’t remember.

The place I feel happiest

Running around Brooklyn, over the Williamsburg Bridge. Or around Portland, Oregon. Whenever I’m at those places, I always run unless I’m injured. I’ve done a lot of things in my life, but nothing quite beats that.

My guiltiest cultural pleasure

Cheese and onion pasty, chips and peas. Anybody who says that’s not a culture doesn’t know what they are talking about.

If I could own one painting it would be

We Two Boys Together Clinging by David Hockney. Any of his work would be a dream to own. Even the iPad stuff is beautiful. I went to see David Hockney: Bigger and Closer at the Lightroom and it was great.

Johnny Marr’s Spirit Power tour starts at O2 City Hall, Newcastle, on April 2; Spirit Power: The Best of Johnny Marr is out now; Marr’s Guitars is published by Thames and Hudson, johnnymarr.com

Q&A via The Times.
Regards,
FWD.

(Emboldened by FWD for clarity).

Imagine Moz doing this.

Great stuff from Johnny. I'll never have the time to check any of these recommendations but I'll save them for when I'm retired or something.
Except the chips and peas. Oh God. Never. Mix. Chips. With. Vegetables. That's heresy!!! It's lucky Johnny can run, I'd have to burn him at the stake if I caught him ( maybe stick a few spuds in there too.)

He does come across as a bit full of himself.

"I’m having a fantasy dinner party, I’ll put on this music:"

"The Best of Johnny Marr."

:grimacing:

I really find the painting part an interesting choice...reminds me of the part in his autobio, where he emphasised totally randomly that he was kissed by a male friend and didn't mind it. This, the painting part and some other things he said over the years always seem like he wants to clarify that he is totally fine with homosexuality. It's ever so slightly and I'm of course not saying that he ever was against it, because he wasnt, but it sometimes feels like he feels the need to emphasise that somehow. Why that is, is open to interpretation of course.

He does come across as a bit full of himself.

"I’m having a fantasy dinner party, I’ll put on this music:"

"The Best of Johnny Marr."

:grimacing:

I suppose if it had been Moz who had said "The Very Best of Morrissey", you'd think that was witty?

I suppose if it had been Moz who had said "The Very Best of Morrissey", you'd think that was witty?

Perhaps not witty, but definitely funny. But then Morrissey doesn't try to come off as such a nice, modest, down-to-earth bloke.

Besides, Morrissey has produced enough outstanding material for some actual "Very Best Ofs" in his lifetime. Johnny Marr: not so much. Unless you think "Hi Hello - demo version" is best-of worthy stuff.

Perhaps not witty, but definitely funny. But then Morrissey doesn't try to come off as such a nice, modest, down-to-earth bloke.

Besides, Morrissey has produced enough outstanding material for some actual "Very Best Ofs" in his lifetime. Johnny Marr: not so much. Unless you think "Hi Hello - demo version" is best-of worthy stuff.

Well that's because Moz isn't that person, Johnny is. Actually, I don't know where you got modest from, Marr was just as arrogant as Moz in the old days. You kind of have to be to make it, to get people to listen to you, I guess.

Yes, agreed, that acoustic demo of Hi Hello is gorgeous. At least he can get records released!

Well that's because Moz isn't that person, Johnny is. Actually, I don't know where you got modest from, Marr was just as arrogant as Moz in the old days. You kind of have to be to make it, to get people to listen to you, I guess.

Yes, agreed, that acoustic demo of Hi Hello is gorgeous. At least he can get records released!

It's a nice enough song. The overall sentiment and the guitars are neat but, I'm sorry, it's no Now My Heart Is Full or Everyday Is Like Sunday. 🤷‍♀️

It's a nice enough song. The overall sentiment and the guitars are neat but, I'm sorry, it's no Now My Heart Is Full or Everyday Is Like Sunday. 🤷‍♀️

and too bad is not entirely original …

also from the same album …

Hi hello awake from thy sleep, god has granted thy soul to keep …’

and too bad is not entirely original …

also from the same album …

Hi hello awake from thy sleep, god has given your soul to keep …’

As a Morrissey fan, I would think you would not be too disparaging when art is made from other art that you admire.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom