UK Rock'N'Roll Magazine issue 238: Boz Boorer interview (February 19, 2024)

Image-01.jpg
Image-15.jpg
Image-16.jpg
Image-17.jpg
Image-18.jpg

Morrissey mentions.
Regards,
FWD.

From what I heard Boz and Lyn just had enough
This. Let's not forget there was that weird period where Moz would force Boz onstage in drag or wearing a t-shirt loudly promoting Morrissey's personal views. That stuff aways came across as totally undignified for a man of Boz's years and experience, and I wouldn't be surprised if Boz and his wife felt the same.

Also I believe Lyn was extremely unwell with Covid, so Morrissey's demented "plandemic" nonsense probably didn't sit well with Boz and her either.

But Boz is a nice man who probably avoids conflict so if he did leave the band for negative reasons he'll likely never come out and say it publicly. And I think the same can be said of Alain.

Morrissey is extremely bad a paying and Boz, although extremely loyal was used by Moz and not paid for a lot of his work and performances. Boz just had enough

Lol. then Boz must be an idiot to have stuck around that long and not have been paid ‘for a lot of his work and performances’.

And for those that believe a post like yours, idiots too.

Boz unofficially retired, to step back and focus on the record shop and his family. The last chat I remember he said ironically he's busier than ever now jetting back and forth to Portugal and Australia and has been playing and recording. There was no falling out.

I don't think they fell out - on a side note - I love this picture of young Boz. I can see why Morrissey loved their raw energy. It worked very well with his torch songs.

boz-boorer-bad5f366-2c9b-41d2-8c53-eda76b14aaf-resize-750.jpeg

I really miss Boz, he wrote some cracking tunes with Moz and i always felt a calming influence over everything, simply because he is such a decent chap.
I dont know all the ins and outs of band relations but i now look upon the Boz, Alain, Spencer and Gary line up as his best. Great tunes, great shows and it was good to watch them improve together with time.
I agree but/and I also loved Johnny Bridgewood and Deano was great for Quarry.

I agree with BB (as does the discerning fan) that everything came together with Vauxhall. A perfect disc. Only Meat is Murder comes as close. It was the energy from the friction between Boz and Alain that drove the sounds of the band. Then Alain left and things haven't been the same since. No Alain, No Band. El Hefe needs a songwriter ahora!

Anyway, good interview, Nicko.

Can’t believe they didn’t ask him about his split with Morrissey!
Good point, but what's he going to say other than give the old stock answer of, "I'd like to spend some more time with Lyn and the grandkid, maybe do some producing, and run a record shop to keep me busy."

Boz will never cross El Hefe. He used to be his enforcer -- the man who ran interference with the unwashed masses when out and about and overzealous fans got too close. Jesse has now stumbled into the role as BB has retired and served his time with honor. He also knows the unspoken rule: No out-of-school jibber jabber.

Last edited:
Good point, but what's he going to say other than give the old stock answer of, "I'd like to spend some more time with Lyn and the grandkid, maybe do some producing, and run a record shop to keep me busy."
Or he might say that, simply because it’s the truth.
Boz will never cross El Hefe. He used to be his enforcer -- the man who ran interference with the unwashed masses when out and about and overzealous fans got to close. Jesse has now stumbled into the role as BB has retired and served his time with honor. He also knows the unspoken rule: No jibber jabber out of school.

Yeah., I can’t imagine Boz saying that he had his fill of Morrissey (which is understandable) without having to explain what he means by that. So it was probably easier to say nothing.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see another co-write in the future.

Last edited:
Morrissey has never made an announcement of anyone leaving. The only departures he ever mentions are of those of this mortal coil.

Back in the olden days -- *blindly waves cobwebs away from the Tiffany desk lamp* -- El Hefe used to be much more verbose and specific on Julia's True-to-You.net. He used it as his "official way of communication," and I know at least once, maybe twice, he'd send off an ex-band member with fair wishes on the fan site. One of the Matts and possibly Deano, too. Who knows after all these years.

Those were the days, my friend / We thought they'd never end

Last edited:
Back in the olden days -- *blindly waves cobwebs away from Tiffany desk lamp* -- El Hefe used to be much more verbose and specific on Julia's True-to-You.net. He used it as his "official way of communication," and I know at least once, maybe twice, he send off an ex-band member with fair wishes on the fan site. One of the Matts and possibly Deano, too. Who knows after all these years.

Those were the days, my friend / We thought they'd never end

Strange how different TTY was in comparison to Central, it’s as if Morrissey now has allowed someone else to post things on ‘his’ site, if so, unfortunately he seems to trust them and their tastes, as to what gets posted on Central.

Back
Top Bottom