Unpopular Opinion on Morrissey/Smiths?

Lionel Cliffhanger

Unpopular opinion:

The only two Smiths songs I don’t really like, at least lyrically, are ‘Please, please…’ and ‘Last night…’. I pretty much love all the others even ‘Golden Lights’.

To me they are both a little bit too on the nose in terms of the self pity. A bit too much lyrically if that makes sense?

My unpopular opinion is that I really like Maladjusted, or most of it anyway.
It strikes a nice balance between indie rock and sentimentality.
I really like the guitar work too even though lots of it is a bit samey.
He cried, lost, Alma matters, ammunition.
Wonderful.

Unpopular opinion:
'Low in High School' is a brilliant album, one of his very best and will be reappraised in the years to come.
watching arrested development GIF

Unpopular opinion:

The only two Smiths songs I don’t really like, at least lyrically, are ‘Please, please…’ and ‘Last night…’. I pretty much love all the others even ‘Golden Lights’.

To me they are both a little bit too on the nose in terms of the self pity. A bit too much lyrically if that makes sense?
Please, please let me get what i want is earlier in his life so i think it's fine, it gets harder to listen to self pity deeper into his solo career.
He had a lot of things stored up that needed getting off his chest, i think if he wrote it now it would be a bit off.

Wonderful.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I purchased Maladjusted a year after Quarry was released and, despite knowing it's lackluster reputation, was pleasantly surprised by it. I think it's a better album than Quarry. And Alma Matters is just as good of a single to me as IBEH and FOTGTD was, even if it has been overplayed in recent years.

Also love how Alain was more involved with the backing vocals on some of the songs (Maladjusted, Wide To Receive, and Roy's Keen).

Unpopular opinion:
'Low in High School' is a brilliant album, one of his very best and will be reappraised in the years to come.
I don’t think it’s one of his best, but probably ranks higher than “Dog” “Refusal” “World Peace” and more than likely over “Bonfire” and “World Dies” given the previews of those records we’ve had.
“My Love I’d…” is his Bond tune that never was, “Home is a Question Mark” is a classic Moz melodrama, “Spent The Day” is his last great single, I enjoy the daftness of “Who Will Protect” and “Isreal” whilst obviously at this time a contentious one, is musically gorgeous at least.

Shite cover art mind, the deluxe is tons better.

I’ve ranted about Maladjusted more times than I can count, but to me it’s his second best LP after Vauxhall. It’s quintessentially Morrissey. Deeply melancholic, warm, with great indie guitar and beautiful ballads. To me, it’s as if one journalist decided it was shit (because Morrissey wasn’t very hip in 1997) and everyone else followed, including most of the fans. This is the only reasonable explanation to me, because if you like classic Morrissey and the type of music and lyrics he creates, then you should like Maladjusted.

My favourite Morrissey track is Ammunition. I asked him to play it live when I met him once and he said that they were almost going to play it at one point, but still hasn’t made it to the live arena.

Totally agree with you all on "Maladjusted", I really really like that album. It's a nice very listenable album and very 90ies. I don't understand why it fell through at the time. I even have some special fondness for "Sorrow will...". It's a so dramatically petty but heartfelt angry message and to put it to music and on an album is so very Moz. As some of you said "quintessentially Moz" and a whole lot better than his modern work like "Dog", "Low in..." etc.

What was he like to speak to? Was he friendly?

Yes, but it was at one of the Autobiography book signings, so he couldn’t exactly be a dick in front of that many people.

Well, I guess he could. But he was very nice.

Yes, but it was at one of the Autobiography book signings, so he couldn’t exactly be a dick in front of that many people.

Well, I guess he could. But he was very nice.
You were in Gothenburg? I met him there as well. He was absolutely amazing to me.

Unpopular opinion:

I agree!! I've been even skipping those songs lately when I listen through the albums. 🥲 I guess I just listened to them too much, though. Idk.

What did he say?
I did most of the talking, but he was attentive, he listened, while I blabbered on about how much he and his music has meant to me. I was probably the one millionth guy saying exactly that that very day, but he really looked into my eyes and I really felt listened to. Of course he made small, short replies here and there and he repeated my name a bunch of times, but it’s his very warm attentiveness that I will remember until they lower me down into the ground. That and the hug. The long, warm hug. Nancy was right, he really is a great hugger.

Because of this I ultimately forgive him anything.

Totally agree with you all on "Maladjusted", I really really like that album. It's a nice very listenable album and very 90ies. I don't understand why it fell through at the time. I even have some special fondness for "Sorrow will...". It's a so dramatically petty but heartfelt angry message and to put it to music and on an album is so very Moz. As some of you said "quintessentially Moz" and a whole lot better than his modern work like "Dog", "Low in..." etc.
I have yet to delve into that record! I'm still stuck on Kill Uncle, which I love very, very much. (King Leer❤️✨)
Can't wait to get to this one!!! (I'm trying to stay in order.)

I did most of the talking, but he was attentive, he listened, while I blabbered on about how much he and his music has meant to me. I was probably the one millionth guy saying exactly that that very day, but he really looked into my eyes and I really felt listened to. Of course he made small, short replies here and there and he repeated my name a bunch of times, but it’s his very warm attentiveness that I will remember until they lower me down into the ground. That and the hug. The long, warm hug. Nancy was right, he really is a great hugger.

Because of this I ultimately forgive him anything.
I'm jealous! Which is not an emotion I feel often! I can just imagine.. I would have died.

Wonderful.

Don't forget Papa Jack, which everybody seems to hate. Always had a very soft spot for it "and Papa Jack just pushed em away". The music on Maladjusted is timeless perfection. Wonderful.

I'm jealous! Which is not an emotion I feel often! I can just imagine.. I would have died.
Haha… hope you’ll run into him some day!
I have yet to delve into that record! I'm still stuck on Kill Uncle, which I love very, very much. (King Leer❤️✨)
Can't wait to get to this one!!! (I'm trying to stay in order.)
This means you haven’t heard Vauxhall and I either? Or Your Arsenal? Wow…now I’m jealous. To be able to hear those records for the first time again. Enjoy! And let me know what you think! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Back
Top Bottom