"Viva Meh: On Morrissey's Second Sustained Battle with Mediocrity" - The L Magazine

Found this on The L Magazine.

Viva Meh: On Morrissey's Second Sustained Battle With Mediocrity - by Ryan Chang, The L Magazine

Excerpt:

On August 29th, I’m going to see Morrissey 25: Live, the Pope of Mope’s first concert film since Who Put the M in Manchester? On August 29th, I promise you, I will be disappointed, and not in an immediately direct way that compliments the Mozzer. I’m legitimately going to be disappointed, and I’m going to be totally OK with it. In fact, I think it’s going to strengthen my love for Morrissey. He’s just going through something—the second major artistic slump of his 25-year recording career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to acknowledge that I'm the author of this L post. "Found" should be "Wrote this for."

I stopped at "Pope of Mope." You are writing about mediocrity and you use a worn-out term like that?

Devotion? Please. Surely there are no grown ups who are 'devoted' to pop singers.

How much of your time do you devote to talking about him here? That is your time. Your life. You are devoted.

What, you mean producing great songs isn't enough?
But, yes, that's all he is, a pop star.

Oh please. Stop lying to yourself. You've devoted years and years and years of your life to this man. And there's nothing wrong with that. Face yourself and stop deluding yourself. End of discussion. ->

I stopped at "Pope of Mope." You are writing about mediocrity and you use a worn-out term like that?

It's true. Using words like 'pope of mope' or using a news headline like 'heaven knows he's miserable now' immediately suggests that the person writing the review/article is only superficially aware of Morrissey's music and thinks of gladioli and out-sized shirts whenever Moz is mentioned. It sounds a warning bell in my mind when journalists use lazy phrases (to appeal to the lazy masses) to grab the reader's attention. It's almost as bad as watching UK ministers bandying about Smiths song titles in an attempt to appear human.

I'm going to venture a guess, that this reviewer never really cared for Morrissey.

His major "criticism" revolves around Moz's looks. Can you believe his hair has thinned over the last 30 years?! Unbelievable! It's just silly really. And I'm sorry but Moz rocked that shirt:horny:

As far as the director getting more out of Morrisey, this was a fairly typical show. It is what he does. Do you think Morrisey would change his live show based on a directors suggestion. No way in hell.

Agree 100%~

- - - Updated - - -

Um....what? Did I miss something? I know Morrissey is a subtle writer whose lyrics are open to many levels of interpretation, but what the f*** is the reviewer talking about? Or am I just dense?

I thought the exact same thing "what the hell is this guy talking about." It's clear from the on-set he does not like Morrissey "how few good tunes he's actually written." Give me a break. Not every Moz song is gold, who's are, but not many good songs, what a joke. I guess Morrissey has more good songs writtend during and after the smiths that most artists in their entire career~

It's true. Using words like 'pope of mope' or using a news headline like 'heaven knows he's miserable now' immediately suggests that the person writing the review/article is only superficially aware of Morrissey's music and thinks of gladioli and out-sized shirts whenever Moz is mentioned. It sounds a warning bell in my mind when journalists use lazy phrases (to appeal to the lazy masses) to grab the reader's attention. It's almost as bad as watching UK ministers bandying about Smiths song titles in an attempt to appear human.

Nearly every single review of a Morrissey concert from the last tour I read seemed the need to mention to two facts.

Morrissey is

a)Human
b)Needs to be loved

Hope morrissey is thinking about touring again, have not seen him in concert, maybe scale down, LA several nights, some small clubs, charge more, less cities, he doesnt charge enough for shows. Someone in the morrissey camp get him going.....please

How much of your time do you devote to talking about him here? That is your time. Your life. You are devoted.
No I'm not. Honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh please. Stop lying to yourself. You've devoted years and years and years of your life to this man. And there's nothing wrong with that. Face yourself and stop deluding yourself. End of discussion. ->
No, really, I haven't devoted years at all. I've bought his albums and enjoyed them.
I may delude myself but not on this point. I post on this site only when I'm bored at work.

No I'm not. Honest.

- - - Updated - - -

No, really, I haven't devoted years at all. I've bought his albums and enjoyed them.
I may delude myself but not on this point. I post on this site only when I'm bored at work.

Peterb isn't part of Club Sycophant. He's more in the Club Crabby About Moz if anything. :p

Hope morrissey is thinking about touring again, have not seen him in concert, maybe scale down, LA several nights, some small clubs, charge more, less cities, he doesnt charge enough for shows. Someone in the morrissey camp get him going.....please

what do you mean 'thinking about touring again'? he's done virtually nothing but tour for the last 5 years.
I hope he stops touring until he has co-written some massively better songs than the rubbish he's been touting since YOR, then he might find decent offers from record labels are forthcoming, and he can finally jump off the heritage/nostalgia bandwagon he's been stuck on since 2010.

Peterb always tells the truth as he sees it. Nothing wrong with that. An admirable quality, in fact.

In 2007 Morrissey did a show at the Ventura Theater, and tickets were $100 at the door. I would have loved to see the show but couldn't stomach that price, even for Morrissey.

How do Morrissey's lyrics adapt to his being 54 and living in Los Angeles, rather than 22 and living in Manchester? Does he have to become less autobiographical?

I thought Vauxhall was perhaps a move in that direction: the characters are often from his cinematic imagination rather than being versions of himself. He's always had that potential to do social observation (This Night Has Opened My Eyes) but I'd like to see him do an entire album in that mode.

How do Morrissey's lyrics adapt to his being 54 and living in Los Angeles, rather than 22 and living in Manchester? Does he have to become less autobiographical?

It could still be autobiographical. It's just a new location.

If I move to China and write about my experiences there, they are autobiographical writings.

I thought Vauxhall was perhaps a move in that direction: the characters are often from his cinematic imagination rather than being versions of himself. He's always had that potential to do social observation (This Night Has Opened My Eyes) but I'd like to see him do an entire album in that mode.

Sounds like what you are saying is that he no longer personally experiences anything worth writing about now that he has left his native land? Could be. But doubtful. I have another theory. His songs may be less autobiographical these days, but not because his environment is uninspiring. Most songwriters have a book of poems/lyrics from their adolescent days. They put them to songs on the first few albums. (Wow, Moz had a thick book... filling six, maybe seven albums.) Once they unload all that pent up rage, frustration, pain etc., they start fresh. They begin to look outside themselves for inspiration. To see a bigger world out there. Songs become more universal and less subjective. Not that an occasional, introspective song doesn't transpire now and then. And then you get something like Vauxhall and I.

While I disagree with the author's dismissal of Kill Uncle (surely a fan who can appreciate SG and Maladjusted can see/hear that KU is better than both), the article is generally on the money.

Morrissey's career with The Smiths was by-and-large without a misstep and the trend mostly continued through the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's despite the lukewarm reception of KU. With 92's Your Arsenal, it seemed Moz had finally found his solo voice- the album did not sound like a Smiths-minus-Marr record (as much of VH and BD did) and it was every bit as good as anything he'd ever done. 94's Vauxhall and I- arguably his best work of any era- appeared to solidify Morrissey's solo-career.

95's Southpaw Grammar and 97's Maladjusted were a step back, but were still well worthwhile (despite a couple of truly duff tracks on the latter) and the quality of the non-album tracks from the era sustained fans' belief (most didn't even know about the brilliant "You Should Have Been Nice To Me" until nearly a decade and a half later). This was followed by over 6 years of largely self-imposed exile.

Morrissey's 2004 comeback, while triumphant, proved to be somewhat lacking. Once the initial excitement and sheer gratitude surrounding the return had worn off, it was clear that You Are the Quarry was not any better (if at all better) than Moz' late-90's efforts. 06's Ringleader of the Tormentors was much the same story and while 2009's Years of Refusal seemed to have a little more range and a little more passion, it was ultimately another example of Morrissey shouting too loudly with too little effect.

This decade has been truly miserable. The new songs are terribly mediocre. The constant maladies and cancellations are more tiresome and inexcusable than ever. The one clip I've seen from Morrissey 25: Live was lifeless to say the least. The rhetoric of his last statement on true-to-you wreaked of defeat.

Lately, the unflinching have reminded us that many great artists have gone through similar sustained slumps in the later stages of their career, only to return with remarkably great efforts to mark their last chapter (Bowie, Dylan, etc.), but I remain more pessimistic. I don't think Morrissey has anything left in him. Coincidentally or not, Morrissey has never been the same since the notorious court case with Joyce- I don't think he's ever gotten over that or at least I think it changed him and his perspective as an artist forever. He's become bitter and selfish and there is little remaining that is in any way redeemable. At this point, I wish he'd just leave the legacy be instead of lazily trying to recapture what escaped him long ago- at this point he's simply padding his retirement account on the backs of the naive who still cling to the misguided belief that he is anything more than a shell of the great man he once was.

I will always be the highest fan of what he once was, I can no longer hope that he will ever return again. If it ever happens, I will surely welcome Moz back with open arms, but I've let go of that dream... for now.

No one mentions that he was really sick at the hollywood high show, he seemed pretty good considering.... no blind devotion here, I wish there were more men like him, most men are boys , he is def. A man. Wish I could clone him.

Back
Top Bottom