Which song best represents The Smiths??

S

Shadowplay

Say for example, some snotty, musically inept acquaintence of yours wants to hear one song by The Smiths, and if they like it, they'll listen to more.

Which song would you choose for them?? What song do you think best shows what The Smiths are all about- their style, their sound, their lyrics.

My personal choice, (and damn was it hard) is "The Headmaster Ritual"

(Self-explanitory i would hope :p)

hmmmm...i'd really have to go with Shadowplay. It's such a sexy song.

There is a Light That Never Goes Out & The Boy With The Thorn in His Side

I concur! Also SMIYTYHTOB.

One of my friends who had erroneously believed every song the Smiths recorded that didn't appear on Singles was shit. I made him listen to "Stop Me" and it's now one of his favorites. He still thinks I'm a freakishly obsessed fan (which is odd because I don't even talk to him that much about The Smiths and Morrissey), but he says the song is "iconic." He agrees with me that it's one of the greatest singalong songs ever. A song you'd want to sing as you walked down the streets, headphones blaring, not even knowing or caring if the good people are laughing or staring.

Also, despite being the favorite song of another of my friends, it's not a good idea to introduce someone to The Smiths with "Girlfriend In A Coma." I played it for an old friend from high school and he was like, "What the holy f***? That's sick." He was half joking, but even so.

this is poetry

A song you'd want to sing as you walked down the streets
headphones blaring
not even knowing or caring
if the good people are laughing or staring.

- by Chill

Re: this is poetry

> A song you'd want to sing as you walked down the streets
> headphones blaring
> not even knowing or caring
> if the good people are laughing or staring.

> - by Chill

Haha, I did do the rhyming on purpose, but I didn't think of it as a poem. Especially since I totally ripped off "Hand In Glove." But thanks.

I would say Rubber Ring. I know it's not a good song to choose as a representation of the Smiths, because it is so different than the rest of their songs, but to me it captures the essence of the Smiths (whatever that means!). It is definitely the Smiths song that affects me the most (aside from Asleep).

But in order to offer a better representation of the music of the Smiths, I'd have to agree that There is a Light That Never Goes Out would be the best choice.

Back
Top Bottom