Who put the 'I' in Morrissey

I think what prompted me to start this thread was that i was playing ROTT and was reminded of all the nonesense spouted about it being autobiographical and him finally having sex: "explosive kegs between my legs" and "I entered nothing and nothing entered me until you came..." etc etc.
I found it all really hilarious. It's funny that they assumed that 1) he must be having sex now (which there's no way to know), 2) he never had sex/relationships before (which is *definitely not true* - if they read his earlier interviews they would know), and 3) that if he is having sex, he must be eager to announce it to the whole world through a song. Makes you wonder how old those journalists are - 13? :D You would think that Morrissey never wrote about sex before. :rolleyes:

The funniest of all was when Mojo wrote: "At 46, his sex life can finally start." Ironic when you think that he said he was 13 when he lost his virginity. :rolleyes:

I think what prompted me to start this thread was that i was playing ROTT and was reminded of all the nonesense spouted about it being autobiographical and him finally having sex: "explosive kegs between my legs" and "I entered nothing and nothing entered me until you came..." etc etc.
Now that DID irritate him. I remember him more or less saying so in an interview, although i can't remember which one.

To answer a few of your points...of course Morrissey writes about real life. It's one of the things we love him for....but it doesn't always mean he's writing about 'his' life if he uses the word 'I' in a song. He could be merely creating a character. (E.g. in 'half a person'.) That was my point.

I gathered that's what you meant, it's true, journalists can be ridiculously lazy interpreting a lyric so literally, it's a really stupid thing to do when you think about it! I think what may have led to the articles on ROTT is the fact that previously lyrics about sex have always been slightly more ambiguous whereas on 'Dear God' it's impossible to miss and he's not hiding behind a character it seems. As he said last year though, he's 'alluded to hanky-panky in the past'! That quote makes me laugh!

I think for the listeners to his music though there's nothing wrong with taking a view of his words being autobiographical, as one of the previous posters said, it's quite comforting to think he may have been through the same things. And there could always be an element of him lurking behind any of the words...

I gathered that's what you meant, it's true, journalists can be ridiculously lazy interpreting a lyric so literally, it's a really stupid thing to do when you think about it! I think what may have led to the articles on ROTT is the fact that previously lyrics about sex have always been slightly more ambiguous whereas on 'Dear God' it's impossible to miss and he's not hiding behind a character it seems. As he said last year though, he's 'alluded to hanky-panky in the past'! That quote makes me laugh!
I think that the line 'it was a good lay' is a bit more than an allusion. :D

Seriously... I don't see how people can judge whether he's hiding behind the character or not, as compared to, say, These Things Take Time or Suedehead, or any other song (apart from those that are obviously 'character songs').

Is it just because of the line 'I'm walking through Rome'? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Still Tired..

I agree.

A lyric can be an attempt to tell a true experience, or to tell a story as an observer, or in character, but writers do reveal something of their thought processes and interests in what they produce.

What I like about Morrissey's lyrics is the ambiguity, which allows alternate interpretations without diluting the impact of the words. Many can identify with the events and emotions described, each in their own way.

And what is a song for but to communicate what it means to be human. To reassure that we are not alone in the world.

What also interests me is the subjects covered by popular songs. What is currently in the charts is mainly based on the dissatisfaction of personal experience (despite the material comforts many of us now have). Yet much of the best music of the 70's and 80's had a hard political edge, born of economic hardship and an unwillingness to consume "manufactured" pop.
Morrissey has at times taken on topics of social relevance, and I hope continues to provoke people to think, as well as to enjoy the music.

I think until people can accept that Morrissey (and others) can move in and out of the First and third person this argument is futile. and once they do realise, the argument becomes redundant

I'm a fan of females if that's what you meant.

I am shocked :eek: I thought you were a woman ;) but i still like you. Hang on, what are you? Male, female, asexual....:D

I think until people can accept that Morrissey (and others) can move in and out of the First and third person this argument is futile.

Surely raising issues on a forum such as this is a way of getting people to accept things???:confused:

ooooh......me too :D

Can we be togeva foreva then? We could bounce of each other, considering there will only be two cells....:D

Sounds captivating!;)

It could well be captivating.....;) I'd like to find out, so how you fixed? Two asexual amoeba's being captivated...hehehe....

What are you trying to say? Is there something you need to tell me?

i have no life plus I love ponds so i'm up for it if you are;)

What are you trying to say? Is there something you need to tell me?

i have no life plus I love ponds so i'm up for it if you are;)

OK you drive a hard bargain and i'm playing easy to get. I'll risk it for a biscuit! (got to be a Hob Nob though);)

Back
Top Bottom