Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
So angry. In many ways he is right - she was mocked and humiliated by the media and this 'legend' stuff is pap - but Sinead's problems were intensely personal and went far beyond being dropped by a record label. Sometimes it's like Moz is so tunnel-visioned, he can't help but insert his own situation into these rants. Sinead suffered and lost a son to suicide just last year, I think she had far greater concerns than record labels, Moz.

Yere...think your right there....but his passion is righteous.

Well said Morrissey , if there was just more people like you in the world it would be a far better place, agreed with every word , R.I.P Sinead 😍

Last edited by a moderator:
He really can’t help it, can he?
“She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back”
f***ing embarrassing.

No..you are.

I'm torn after reading Moz's post. In many ways he is right but the most important outcome from today is that a woman has died and is sadly missed by her children, her fans, music fans in general, and anyone with empathy. Now is not the time for digs at the music industry and music critics, and now is definitely not the time for Moz to make comparisons to his own mistreatment by the mangled music machine.

Sinead was ahead of her time in many ways and it took years for people to catch up with her. Three kids are without a mother. The world is now without Sinead. Everything else pales in significance to that. Her death is not a battery for the torch to illuminate the shortcomings of the music industry. At least not yet when this is too raw.

I've read Moz's statement a few times and can feel his anger and frustration at the two-faced world. I can see and accept his points. He is being honest. I think I'm (like a lot of us) still reeling from the news today. I have a Sinead 7" of Don't Cry For Me Argentina with Ave Maria as b-side. Playing it now but it's very hard not to get emotional.
Well Action ? ... You didn't get it. You just don't get it. !

Gosh

Just the other day I was daydreaming of these guys together on stage. It would have been perfect. Both totally honest in their own way. And truth is never cute or popular of course.

That was the best statement from Moz.

M raises many strong and sad points. A more fitting tribute than any other, because it does not ignore the elephant in the room, which is the abuse she received when she lived. He didn't, however, need to alert us once again to his own perceived assassination at the hands of the music industry.

Well Action ? ... You didn't get it. You just don't get it. !
I'm not sure who Action is. I'm also not sure about a sentence ending in ? only to continue with ... or a sentence that ends in a full stop only to continue with !
But I'm not here to start a fight. I'm just sad for Sinéad's kids and family. I respect Moz's statement. He said what he felt.

I was disappointed by the coverage by Sky News. Murdoch really needs a stake through his cemented heart. The commentators kept going on about Sinead's shaved head, her joining Sinn Fein (neglecting to mention that she also called for the resignation of Gerry Adams), and tearing up a photo of the pope. Yawn.

Yes he was right too, it was out of respect.
It looks like Moz was also right about Kevin Spacey. Acquitted today on all charges in the UK.
Not directly relevant to this thread but it shows how often Moz says something (e.g. defending Spacey) and is ultimately proven right a few years later.

I agree with every word of this. The public is unforgiving. The media is unforgiving. Those who have vested business interests will only ever care about their vested business interests in someone - regardless of what other yarn they might be trying to concurrently spin.

Sinead was a business interest to many, and adored by millions more. But the public and baying crowds frequently relish seeing someone fall, and when Sinead’s problems, Sinead’s challenges, Sinead’s humanity, was brought into the limelight with a violent blast, people were quick to devour the tabloid headlines but clearly there was a recurring theme of inadequate support behind the scenes.

I think it is exactly this, that is most baffling to some: people who are not in the public eye in some form or another typically don’t have millions of fans, or millions of records sold, or millions of pounds in the bank. The fact that someone, anyone, who ever had millions of anything, can find themselves as used, and as abused, and as alone as anyone else is truly saddening.

You have to be an incredibly strong person to be able to successfully navigate life and to successfully forge your own success - and then to also know exactly how to keep it - without being waylaid, distracted, or tempted by so many things that will take you down the wrong turns. This is a comment that holds for any of us, and for all of us. Also that vultures exist and that they will always be waiting at every corner, sadly is also something that will never change.

The death of a child however is something so abominable and so unspeakably transhuman to have to endure, that it’s a wonder that anyone else who has ever been forced by fate to suffer such a life destroying monstrosity, ever manages any better than Sinead did at all.

I’m sorry for her children and for her family. Condolences are never enough.

A heartfelt post and I couldn’t agree more strongly with every word typed and with every sentiment expressed by Morrissey above.

Last edited:
I agree with every word of this. The public is unforgiving. The media is unforgiving. Those who have vested business interests will only ever care about their vested business interests in someone - regardless of what other yarn they might be trying to concurrently spin.

Sinead was a business interest to many, and adored by millions more. But the public and baying crowds frequently relish seeing someone fall, and when Sinead’s problems, Sinead’s challenges, Sinead’s humanity, was brought into the limelight with a violent blast, people were quick to devour the tabloid headlines but clearly there was a recurring theme of inadequate support behind the scenes.

I think it is exactly this, that is most baffling to some: people who are not in the public eye in some form or another typically don’t have millions of fans, or millions of records sold, or millions of pounds in the bank. The fact that someone, anyone, who ever had millions of anything, can find themselves as used, and as abused, and as alone as anyone else is truly saddening.

You have to be an incredibly strong person to be able to successfully navigate life and to successfully forge your own success - and then to also know exactly how to keep it - without being waylaid, distracted, or tempted by so many things that will take you down the wrong turns. This is a comment that holds for any of is, and for all of us. Also that vultures exist and they will be waiting at every corner, will sadly also never change.

The death of a child however is something so abominable and so unspeakably transhuman to have to endure, that it’s a wonder that anyone else who has ever been forced by fate to suffer such a life destroying monstrosity, ever manages any better than Sinead did at all.

I’m sorry for her children and for her family. Condolences are never enough.

A heartfelt post and I couldn’t agree more strongly with every word typed and with every sentiment expressed by Morrissey above.
Extremely well said.

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:
He’s got a fine point.

Back
Top Bottom