Your favorite tracks that go unappreciated?

By albums :

Dial-a-Cliché
Mute Witness
We'll Let You Know
The Lazy Sunbathers
Southpaw (A masterpiece that seems somehow underrated :rolleyes: )
Trouble Loves Me ( same as Southpaw )
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
I Just Want To See The Boy Happy
All You Need Is Me
I'm Not A Man
My Love, I'd Do Anything For You ( outstanding opener !!! )
Only A Pawn In Their Game ( great interpretation of Dylan's timeless classic )
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain ( I'm surprised to myself that I haven't been able to appreciate this great track, for a very long time )

By albums :

Dial-a-Cliché
Mute Witness
We'll Let You Know
The Lazy Sunbathers
Southpaw (A masterpiece that seems somehow underrated :rolleyes: )
Trouble Loves Me ( same as Southpaw )
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
I Just Want To See The Boy Happy
All You Need Is Me
I'm Not A Man
My Love, I'd Do Anything For You ( outstanding opener !!! )
Only A Pawn In Their Game ( great interpretation of Dylan's timeless classic )
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain ( I'm surprised to myself that I haven't been able to appreciate this great track for a very long time )
Agree about Southpaw. That line - you ran back to ma - always gets me.
Agree too about Only A Pawn.

in chronological order:

I Don't Mind If You Forget Me
Tony The Pony
Pashernate Love
You Must Please Remember
Honey You Know Where To Find Me
Fantastic Bird
I Can Have Both
Happy Lovers Reunited
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Jacky's Always Happy

Wide to receive is on my "always play" list, still makes me smile when I listen to it

The operation too.

My favourite song (swallow on my neck) is never on anyone's top ten list so maybe that's unappreciated too
I love swallow on my neck -- but even I forgot it :")

Also never got the disdain towards Blue Dreamers’ Eyes. Assuming that it was recorded during the LIHS sessions, the fact that it didn’t make the deluxe version is absolutely mind boggling. It’s better than most of that album.

The first ones that come to mind:

Wide to receive
I wish you lonely
I bury the living
I am not a man
I am not a dog on a chain

Part of the problem with these songs is that it would seem Morrissey himself didn't appreciate them or care about them enough to ever play them live. I think there are probably a lot of newer fans who have not even heard some of the songs mentioned. For me Michael's Bones and Lucky Lisp come to mind. If I could handcuff someone who isn't a fan to a chair and play those two songs until they acknowledged their brilliance, I would.

The first ones that come to mind:

Wide to receive
I wish you lonely
I bury the living
I am not a man
I am not a dog on a chain
From the most recent material, these all check the box for me too. Some of them are tough to get to love like "I bury the living" but its a brilliant song lyrically. Jim Jim Falls and What Kind of People would be added to that list.

Hairdresser on fire. I love the lyrics.
Oh, and Munich Air Disaster.

I wish I'd gone down
Gone down with them
To where Mother Nature makes their bed

I'm glad Alain has taken to performing Southpaw live. It's perhaps the one tragic oversight of M's live canon. But the performance seems hermetically sealed with that year, that line-up - which HMV as much as suggested in the 2009 reissue liner notes.

It's hard to quantify what underscores "underrated" when some of these are so vociferously loved in our quarters. But I propose the following as my top five:

There's a Place In Hell For Me And My Friends - IMO, a missed opportunity to not ever play this back to back with Satan Rejected My Soul 🤷‍♂️; talk about a cosmic "ba-dum-BUM"
My Love Life - long overdue for a live revisitation; simple and simply put, a genuine question but with a wink
I Am Hated For Loving - so atmospheric and spot-on in every regard; a riff JM would envy piped in from a radio station just out of phase
Whatever Happens, I Love You - a singular sounding timeless sonic journey with one of the most chillingly evocative lines he ever sang ("We stole each other's clothes" shivers my spine every time)
A Swallow on my Neck - an A-side in others' canons. The defiant secrecy of a deep love - you can picture the manic energy welling up in the protagonist as he trundles out of the boozer (the sentiment seems echoed in When You Open Your Legs)
Wide To Receive - the internet was still a babe in swaddling clothes and M nailed the disconcerting emptiness of its "connections"; high marks for Alain's lovely harmonies and initials BB's weary clarinet solo - I love Lost, but I think this is Spenny's best with M

Back
Top Bottom