26 years ago today.....

Jukebox Jury

Retired
The Smiths played their 2nd ever gig at Manchester's Manhatten Club. It was Andy Rourke's 1st gig and James Maker's last gig (apart from a brief re-appearance in Cornwall a bit later on). Tony Wilson saw the band for the 1st time too.

Just thought I'd post it!:)

Jukebox Jury

Oh man the smiths are SOOOO shit.

The Smiths played their 2nd ever gig at Manchester's Manhatten Club. It was Andy Rourke's 1st gig and James Maker's last gig (apart from a brief re-appearance in Cornwall a bit later on). Tony Wilson saw the band for the 1st time too.

Just thought I'd post it!:)

Jukebox Jury

Any idea where the Manhatten is / was?

If only there was an expert tour guide on hand...

Dave

"Walk the lenght of Nicholas Street, through Chinatown over the tram lines to Mosley Street, onto Booth Street and then turn second right into Fountain Gardens. The first road on your left is Spring Gardens. The first building on your left is 60 Spring Gardens. This was the site of The Manhatten"

I lived in Manchester in 1989, but never heard of a venue called The Manhatten.
Was it closed down or changed its name?

when did it shut down? I'm sure I've been. it was a bit of a dump

I lived in Manchester in 1989, but never heard of a venue called The Manhatten.
Was it closed down or changed its name?

when did it shut down? I'm sure I've been. it was a bit of a dump

"Walk the length of Nicholas Street, through Chinatown over the tram lines to Mosley Street, onto Booth Street and then turn second right into Fountain Street. The first road on your left is Spring Gardens. The first building on your left is 60 Spring Gardens. This was the site of The Manhatten"

I found the address by looking in an old telephone book of 1983.
I went to the address and it was a new style office building (an insurance company). I asked the bloke on security how long the building had been standing.
''Oh it's been here for decades'' he proudly told me.
I explained that as far as I could tell it was a basement pub / club venue in 1983 and he said I had the wrong place. His colleague came over and joined in the conversation and he said ''there is a plaque on the wall over there''.
We went to the plaque which read
''Opened in 1986 by Sir Bobby Charlton''
The first security bloke was very sheepish after that:D
So my guess is the Manhatten was demolished in 1984 / 85

Jukebox Jury

So, you were rescued by a Man Utd legend. The shame of it...

Dave
(Huddersfield Town through and through)

"Walk the length of Nicholas Street, through Chinatown over the tram lines to Mosley Street, onto Booth Street and then turn second right into Fountain Street. The first road on your left is Spring Gardens. The first building on your left is 60 Spring Gardens. This was the site of The Manhatten"

I went to the address and it was a new style office building (an insurance company). I asked the bloke on security how long the building had been standing.
I explained that as far as I could tell it was a basement pub / club venue in 1983 and he said I had the wrong place. His colleague came over and joined in the conversation and he said ''there is a plaque on the wall over there''.

Jukebox Jury

isn't there a mixed gay club called the manhatten?

Yes, I thought that was the same place when doing the first book in 2001 / 2, but as mentioned above found it wasn't.

The other one is on Princess Street opposite (nearly) the Union pub.

Jukebox ''A-Z'' Jury

Jukebox Jury

kind of related .. but when moz played the move festival in 2004 he mentioned something about a pub called the quadrant (i think) then kind of laughed to himself and said "bad joke" . does anyone have any idea what he was on about ? i guess it was something from his youth / early adulthood

A band I was in at the time also played this venue (Manhatten). In fact I think it was our first gig.
We were terrible and as we packed away our equipment the DJ played a song by Wayne County, the chorus goes something like this "f*** off"
It was also a gay club, so perhaps it moved to the new building in later years.

kind of related .. but when moz played the move festival in 2004 he mentioned something about a pub called the quadrant (i think) then kind of laughed to himself and said "bad joke" . does anyone have any idea what he was on about ? i guess it was something from his youth / early adulthood

The Quadrant is a pub a few hundred yards up Kings Road from his house on a roundabout and also just behind the cricket ground (and B&Q and railway line) where the gig was played at.
I think Morrissey asked if anyone was going there for a pint afterwards.... I assume he has unhappy memories of either going in there as a late teen - or more likely for NOT going in there during his late teens!!

Jukebox Jury

The Quadrant is a pub a few hundred yards up Kings Road from his house on a roundabout and also just behind the cricket ground (and B&Q and railway line) where the gig was played at.
I think Morrissey asked if anyone was going there for a pint afterwards.... I assume he has unhappy memories of either going in there as a late teen - or more likely for NOT going in there during his late teens!!

Jukebox Jury

cheers JJ ! have seen moz about 25 times now and move is probably the best one ! The mass singalong to "sunday" was sublime ! So wanted to get tickets for birthday apollo gig but will have to make do with Stirling , glasgow and hartlepool (for now) .

cheers JJ ! have seen moz about 25 times now and move is probably the best one ! The mass singalong to "sunday" was sublime ! So wanted to get tickets for birthday apollo gig but will have to make do with Stirling , glasgow and hartlepool (for now) .

Yes, the Move gig was far better than the MEN Arena gig (the extras on the MEN DVD is evidence).
Proper fans at Move, not just the in crowd at the MEN Arena.:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom