A Short Smiths Quiz

DavidA

Hello! I thought I'd spend some of my Saturday evening making a quiz for you. I think they're quite tricky so see how you get on.

If you want to reply then perhaps use the inline spoiler function so that other people can guess if they want. It looks like this.
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 23.14.54.png

Here we go!

Question 1. Who's singing? When and where?

Question 2. What's this and how did it leak?

Question 3. What is this and whose is it?

1379948_10151654744902587_2058530874_n.jpg

Question 4. What song links these two people?

question.jpg

Question 5. What's the source?

Question 6. Why is this recording an omission?

Question 7. What notable occasion was this photo taken?

Two Light Ales.jpg

Question 8. Which Smiths song does this still relate to?

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 22.48.37.png

Question 9. What's notable about this track?

Question 10. Which moz-solo poster originally shared this?

This quiz is a work of art, DavidA. However, you might over-estimate the average knowledge of users here, or am I the only one who doesn't know the answers, but would like to? :guitar: 🙏

1. Marr Cradle vocal snippet @ Decibel '82 shared by Hibbert collated by me 😂
2. TCM stem bass file. Hacked from Rockband Smiths tracks, all shared here via 'Gurglejerk', altscott3000 & dirtee rephlex circa 2011/12 (still a purchase today for PS4).
3. Grant Showbiz intro tape - unearthed during recent auctions (a lot of information links are dead now so can't recall exact details of this).
4. TCM NY remix (RTT NY 136) - Porter (Producer) / Kevorkian (remixed by).
5. ITV's DataRun April '84 "Paul Morressey" 🤣
6. HSIN Kilburn '86 omitted from Rank.
7. Bye bye Brixton 12/12/86... Last gig 😢
8. QID via Cicely Courtneidge / The L-Shaped Room / 1962
9. Only live performance. Asleep was soundchecked at Eden Court, Oct 1, '85 and run through many times prior too (with & without vocals).
10. "grlmopz" (although if the MP3 here was shared on ST, the name may differ).

My attempt,
FWD.

I think I made this quiz too hard! If you think you know an answer then post it.

Maybe a clue or two. Question 1 is from the first time Morrissey and Marr got studio time together.
Is the answer to number 1, ?

Thewlis, what are your answers to 6 and 7?

1. Marr Cradle vocal snippet @ Decibel '82 shared by Hibbert collated by me 😂
2. TCM stem bass file. Hacked from Rockband Smiths tracks, all shared here via 'Gurglejerk', altscott3000 & dirtee rephlex circa 2011/12 (still a purchase today for PS4).
3. Grant Showbiz intro tape - unearthed during recent auctions (a lot of information links are dead now so can't recall exact details of this).
4. TCM NY remix (RTT NY 136) - Porter (Producer) / Kevorkian (remixed by).
5. ITV's DataRun April '84 "Paul Morressey" 🤣
6. HSIN Kilburn '86 omitted from Rank.
7. Bye bye Brixton 12/12/86... Last gig 😢
8. QID via Cicely Courtneidge / The L-Shaped Room / 1962
9. Only live performance. Asleep was soundchecked at Eden Court, Oct 1, '85 and run through many times prior too (with & without vocals).
10. "grlmopz" (although if the MP3 here was shared on ST, the name may differ).

My attempt,
FWD.
Bravo FWD. Full marks.

You see, I knew *someone* could answer these.

2. Is it from the Rockband Video game?
5. Morrissey and Marr on a kids program called Datarun?
9. Rehearsed and played live but only because the venue wouldn’t remove the house piano from the stage?

9- Unloveable was also played in that soundcheck but never performed
It was. But I like the story of them finding the piano.

They were still trying to get the drum sound right, so obviously hadn't been going for that long. The early part of the soundcheck is pretty boring ... lots of single drum hits. But after a while Andy joined in, and eventually Johnny. They ran through a few songs as instrumentals ... and usually at this point Morrissey would join them for a few songs. But suddenly everything stopped. After 5 minutes or so we thought they'd probably finished, and Jo decided she wanted to go down and see if she could see them at the stage door as they left. I decided to stay for a bit longer. I had a quick peek over the balcony to see what was going on, and I could see that the band were still there. The recorder was still running, and the side of the tape finished about this point. I turned the tape over but didn't start recording again just yet as there was nothing much to tape. Looking down again I could see they were trying to move what looked like a piano. I settled back down in the booth so that I wouldn't be spotted. After a while Johnny started playing the piano, and I switched the recorder on again. It wasn't long before I recognized that he was playing Asleep, which was quite exciting as they hadn't played it live before. Soon Morrissey was singing. Later after running through a few other songs, they started playing unlovable ... another song they hadn't played live before! Later they pleyed asleep a couple more time, and by this stage the tape was coming to the end of the second side ... and I didn't have a spare with me. I figured that what was happening now was much more interesting than the start of the souncheck, so I turned the tape over again and started recording on side one again ... wondering how much I'd end up recording over. In the event, they only played 2 more songs, and then stopped, so I didn't really record over anything very important. I waited a little longer to make sure they had really stopped, and then quietly made my way out of the theatre and out to find the others to tell them what I'd managed to record.

Tags
quiz
Back
Top Bottom