A Short Smiths Quiz

I managed to get 9 out of 10. Not bad. The only one I got wrong was No 2, I just assumed it was the bass line from the TCM master, never gave a thought to 'Rockstar'.
The live version of 'Asleep' is very interesting. Have you edited the audience from the recording? The version I have, some of the audience are whistling their derision all the way through the song. If only they knew how privileged they were that night. That 7 date Scottish tour has often been seen as The Smiths at their live peak. I wonder how difficult it would have been for the band to take a piano on tour with them? Johnny must have had a piano. Given that we know Johnny wanted to move away from the guitar driven sound of the band, maybe more piano based live songs might have saved The Smiths 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Nice quiz though. Maybe a Solo era one for a future project🙂

9/10 is impressive!

They never played Asleep live. This was from a soundcheck recorded by Soundsville Paul. Maybe you’re thinking of another song?

There were two leaks from Rock Band but maybe I’ll save that for another quiz. I never really listened to Moz’s solo work aside from the debut album so I’m the wrong one to write a quiz about that. Maybe FWD?!

I managed to get 9 out of 10. Not bad. The only one I got wrong was No 2, I just assumed it was the bass line from the TCM master, never gave a thought to 'Rockstar'.
The live version of 'Asleep' is very interesting. Have you edited the audience from the recording? The version I have, some of the audience are whistling their derision all the way through the song. If only they knew how privileged they were that night. That 7 date Scottish tour has often been seen as The Smiths at their live peak. I wonder how difficult it would have been for the band to take a piano on tour with them? Johnny must have had a piano. Given that we know Johnny wanted to move away from the guitar driven sound of the band, maybe more piano based live songs might have saved The Smiths 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Nice quiz though. Maybe a Solo era one for a future project🙂
Soundcheck with 7 versions:
FWD.

Soundcheck with 7 versions:
FWD.
Yeah, the Soundcheck tapes offer up a nice alternative to the familiar releases. I don't know if the 'Smiths Torrents' site still functions, but they had a stack of them on there, including one which was recorded from outside the venue!?! It still sounded pretty interesting though. The Eden Court one is fascinating though as not only did they soundcheck 'Asleep', but also 'Unloveable' complete with Morrissey's vocals, so they must have considered playing it at some point. I think it's on that tour as well that they started soundchecking 'There Is A Light....' complete with final line, "There is a light in your eyes, and it never goes out".
I don't understand why they keep saying there isn't enough in the vaults for a 'Rarities' box-set, there's loads!!

Smithstorrents is my site but I put it out of its misery when it started to malfunction. I moved all the Smiths recordings to a Google archive which is linked in the downloads forum.

Included in the archive is Gloucester Leisure Centre from 24 September 1984, which was a soundcheck recorded outside the venue.

Smithstorrents is my site but I put it out of its misery when it started to malfunction. I moved all the Smiths recordings to a Google archive which is linked in the downloads forum.

Included in the archive is Gloucester Leisure Centre from 24 September 1984, which was a soundcheck recorded outside the venue.
Possibly my most favourite Smiths gig attended.
🎶Memories...🎵
FWD.

The live version of 'Asleep' with the whistles of displeasure from the audience that I was referring to would have been downloaded from your website then, David. Back around 2009, I downloaded eeeeeeeverrrryyy Smiths live show or sound check from Smiths Torrents, and then listened to them in strict chronological order(OCD in overdrive!!).

It was a cracking site in it's day(when it worked😀😀), and an invaluable trove🎸💐👍

Tags
quiz
Back
Top Bottom