Advice: College financial garbage

MindlessRuffian

Señor Member
I go to Rutgers University and have been officially "RU Screwed":mad:. I got an email on Monday telling me I owe $2000, so I thought "Okay, lemme gather that..." then I get an email on Wednesday telling me that if I don't pay up by noon Thursday, I'm deregistered from my classes. :tears:

I can't gather this money for about a week...my father has been out of work for almost 3 months because he was ill and it'll take some work to get the cash. I want to call up and plead for another week to pay.

Given the short notice for the payment I was given and the circumstances, am I likely to succeed? Has anyone had to do something like this, if so were you successful? Keep in mind its a huge research university that only cares about the $$$ I pay:(

Is there an appeals process?
Do you have a credit card with $2000 of available credit?
Can you ask your bank or credit union for a short-term loan?
Can you offer to pay a small portion of it now, and promise to pay the rest in full shortly?

Whatever you do, try not to let them boot you. The same thing happened to my brother, and he simply gave up & never went back to school. To this day (15 years later), he blames the university and my dad, who didn't give him tuition money on time, and he's bitter about the whole thing.

Good luck!

Is there an appeals process?
Do you have a credit card with $2000 of available credit?
Can you ask your bank or credit union for a short-term loan?
Can you offer to pay a small portion of it now, and promise to pay the rest in full shortly?

Whatever you do, try not to let them boot you. The same thing happened to my brother, and he simply gave up & never went back to school. To this day (15 years later), he blames the university and my dad, who didn't give him tuition money on time, and he's bitter about the whole thing.

Good luck!

I hope theres an appeals process.
I don't have credit. Because of the economy, no one will give me a credit card because I have no prior credit, but I can't build it without a credit card.
I don't have a cosigner for my loans...everyone has bad credit.
Rutgers isn't much for accepting a little when they could steal a lot :(

Well, I was going to say the following in my phone call, or something to this effect:

I recieved a notification of financial hold on Monday, and on Wednesday I recieved an email stating that I owe $2000 that if I don't pay by Thursday, I get deregistered. That money could not be brought about in 3 days. I thought I'd paid before the start of the semester, but that was my existing balance from last semester. My father has been out of work for 3 months and will be returning in about a week or so. I wonder if I could have one more week before deregistration to gather the $2000?

I hope theres an appeals process.
I don't have credit. Because of the economy, no one will give me a credit card because I have no prior credit, but I can't build it without a credit card.
I don't have a cosigner for my loans...everyone has bad credit.
Rutgers isn't much for accepting a little when they could steal a lot :(

Well, I was going to say the following in my phone call, or something to this effect:

I recieved a notification of financial hold on Monday, and on Wednesday I recieved an email stating that I owe $2000 that if I don't pay by Thursday, I get deregistered. That money could not be brought about in 3 days. I thought I'd paid before the start of the semester, but that was my existing balance from last semester. My father has been out of work for 3 months and will be returning in about a week or so. I wonder if I could have one more week before deregistration to gather the $2000?

Did you miss any prior notifications? If not, then it's completely unreasonable for them to give you just a couple days to raise this kind of money.

Colleges don't think logically, though. One of my grad schools issued a financial aid check to me a few months after I graduated. I never even picked it up from the office, because I'd already moved out of state, but they still reported it to the credit bureaus as a defaulted loan. It took me about 3 years to clean that mess up, because the university refused to admit that it was their mistake.

Did you miss any prior notifications? If not, then it's completely unreasonable for them to give you just a couple days to raise this kind of money.
Nah. When I signed into MyRutgers (email thing) there was a notification of financial hold. And two days later they told me to pay up in a day or leave. RU is never reasonable. Thats why theres the RU Screw :o

Colleges don't think logically, though. One of my grad schools issued a financial aid check to me a few months after I graduated. I never even picked it up from the office, because I'd already moved out of state, but they still reported it to the credit bureaus as a defaulted loan. It took me about 3 years to clean that mess up, because the university refused to admit that it was their mistake.

Yikes. Its because they never do their research. They never think to look into anything, they just do as they feel necessary.

Is there anyway you can do a payment plan? Some colleges let you pay what you owe in incriments. Good luck! :)

Wow, you're not kidding--Googling that phrase brought up some disturbing examples.

The laxative one? Well, I'm pretty much officially out. Apparently I owe nearly $6,651. 95 from last semester because they took my $3,000 some for last semester and put it in the spring semester. And I owe $6,935.35 for the spring semester. I don't have that money. Adios Rutgers:tears:

The laxative one? Well, I'm pretty much officially out. Apparently I owe nearly $6,651. 95 from last semester because they took my $3,000 some for last semester and put it in the spring semester. And I owe $6,935.35 for the spring semester. I don't have that money. Adios Rutgers:tears:

Holy f***! I thought that Rutgers was a state school--how can the tuition be that high?

/$1600/semester at my state school back in 1990...has it really gone up that much?

I'm sorry Ruffy. :(

Theres always community college, I guess. I just don't know what to do. Bureaucracy....

I'm sorry that it worked out like this for you. I know what it's like to have to drop out when you don't want to. I've been to community college, it's not bad at all. It's cheaper and allowed me to save enough money to go to the university I attend now.

I'm sorry that it worked out like this for you. I know what it's like to have to drop out when you don't want to. I've been to community college, it's not bad at all. It's cheaper and allowed me to save enough money to go to the university I attend now.

That's what I hear. But my grandma has about 4,000 on a credit card she's offering to let us use. Let's hope I can fix this.

Thanks, everyone. Seriously:D. I'll letcha know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom