Alain Whyte: Band update (June 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230616-165701.png

1686931063262.jpg

1686931065886.jpg

1686931068090.jpg

Screenshot_20230617-114140.png

Regards,
FWD.

The band Morrissey is too stupid to have for himself.
this comment wins the thread.
but seriously why shouldn't alain and gustavo and these folks be allowed to do whatever the f*** they want? there are no no-compete clauses in music! morrissey can't even release the music he's recorded, two albums worth. he won't compromise, big labels only, i mean imagine how frustrating it must be for the band to have to go along with his stupid decisions and nod along when he does his woe is me i am misunderstood persecuted spiel. morrissey is not the owner of these people, they can choose to go enjoy playiong together and have "good vibes". good for them.

Or maybe they're just friends who enjoy playing together.
Which is fantastic but.. what kind of career can you make of that?

Must admit, I'm a little uncomfortable at Gustavo having left Morrissey's band to join Alain's. I appreciate we don't know the background to it but it feels a bit like a blatant poach.
Alain re-joining the Morrissey set-up was a rare and much needed bit of good news in Camp Morrissey in these pretty horrible recent years. His leaving and taking a long term bandmate (who'd really changed Morrissey's musical dynamic) is a bit of a worst case scenario. Fingers crossed, the new band set-up will be OK.
Alain's recent IG post doesn't imply acrimony. We don't know Gus's mindset. He may have been looking for the right catalyst to leave long before Alain rejoined. Sometimes it just takes a little push. I don't think that makes Alain a bad dude.

Last edited:
Which is fantastic but.. what kind of career can you make of that?
Well, Alain is an extremely gifted songwriter (music wise) and honestly all of those dudes have solid specs, but Morrissey is the magic that is missing.

Against recent IG post doesn't imply acrimony. We don't know Gus's mindset. He may have been looking for the right catalyst to leave long before Alain rejoined. Sometimes it just takes a little push. I don't think that makes Alain a bad dude.
Yeah, there were obviously problems for Gus before, and Alain was indeed probably just the catalyst and not the cause of his departure.
I don't generally have a lot of sympathy for modern day Morrissey and the mess he's got himself into. Was just pointing out that Alain re-joining the fold was a very rare bit of recent good news in the Morrissey world. Alain leaving would have been pretty bad - but losing Gus too makes things even worse than they were before Alain's return.
Hopefully, some good will come out of it though. It might prompt him into accepting a more realistic record deal (that befits someone who sells what he does in 2023 and not what he sold before 2019), or the new band members might turn out to be great songwriters, and having women on board for the first time might also turn out to be a positive step forward.

I really can't get in to Alain's voice, but that's a hell of a lineup when it comes to a band. We don't really know what the new keys will be like in Moz's band but its such a shame Gus is gone, he was by far my favourite of Moz's keyboardists and agree with Alain's assessment of him being the most well-rounded musician in the band

I saw on Instagram stories Alain is promoting his band recruit with Spent The Day In Bed. I assume Gus wrote the music?
Not knowing what's going on behind the scenes but it seems to me they are putting the boot in a little bit.
Anyway what do I know? And I don't actually care.

I have nothing against Spencer or any of the lads and I love "Lost" but really, a B-side from decades ago doesn't change anything. After Morrissey, he didn't stay in the music industry. Not one of them is a viable recording artist in their own right, all they have is the Morrissey connection. At this point Gary et al are not even signing up to be 'sidemen' to a star, they're the chief sideman's assistants.

It's like watching someone trying to relive 1991 in an alternate universe where they get to be Morrissey. Even to the extent where they are collecting his old Smiths bandmates to complete the picture. It's bizarre, borderline-delusional wish fulfillment, and I'm surprised that people want to go see that live.
Well said

I saw on Instagram stories Alain is promoting his band recruit with Spent The Day In Bed. I assume Gus wrote the music?
Not knowing what's going on behind the scenes but it seems to me they are putting the boot in a little bit.
Anyway what do I know? And I don't actually care.
Oh that is odd and, yes, Gus wrote that one.

Yeah, there were obviously problems for Gus before, and Alain was indeed probably just the catalyst and not the cause of his departure.
I don't generally have a lot of sympathy for modern day Morrissey and the mess he's got himself into. Was just pointing out that Alain re-joining the fold was a very rare bit of recent good news in the Morrissey world. Alain leaving would have been pretty bad - but losing Gus too makes things even worse than they were before Alain's return.
Hopefully, some good will come out of it though. It might prompt him into accepting a more realistic record deal (that befits someone who sells what he does in 2023 and not what he sold before 2019), or the new band members might turn out to be great songwriters, and having women on board for the first time might also turn out to be a positive step forward.
First of all, sorry for not catching the typo in my original post. "Alain" got turned into "Against."

I think Morrissey's new songs are among the best he's ever done. I cannot fathom exactly what is going on with the Capitol debacle. But I cannot understand for the life of me why he would sign with them in the first place after their hand in what happened with World Peace.

When you say that there were problems with Gustavo before, what are you referring to? I don't recall any drama but I don't keep QUITE as up on the behind the scenes stuff as I used to.

First of all, sorry for not catching the typo in my original post. "Alain" got turned into "Against."

I think Morrissey's new songs are among the best he's ever done. I cannot fathom exactly what is going on with the Capitol debacle. But I cannot understand for the life of me why he would sign with them in the first place after their hand in what happened with World Peace.

When you say that there were problems with Gustavo before, what are you referring to? I don't recall any drama but I don't keep QUITE as up on the behind the scenes stuff as I used to.
All I'm saying is echoing other people's suggestions that Gustavo leaving probably isn't entirely due to Alain. That he was partly thinking of leaving anyway. But I've got no info on this and I'm not really that interested - I'd just like to hear properly released versions of the new songs.

I have nothing against Spencer or any of the lads and I love "Lost" but really, a B-side from decades ago doesn't change anything. After Morrissey, he didn't stay in the music industry. Not one of them is a viable recording artist in their own right, all they have is the Morrissey connection. At this point Gary et al are not even signing up to be 'sidemen' to a star, they're the chief sideman's assistants.

It's like watching someone trying to relive 1991 in an alternate universe where they get to be Morrissey. Even to the extent where they are collecting his old Smiths bandmates to complete the picture. It's bizarre, borderline-delusional wish fulfillment, and I'm surprised that people want to go see that live.
Kind of a cynical take. I feel like these guys have an obvious commonality and other than with Gannon they have a proven musical chemistry. I think they're just having some fun. The audience is built in so why the hell not give it a go?

I don't think any of them is trying to be Morrissey. As for reliving '91, so what? Is '23 that great? It can be a lot of fun to get together with old friends, rehash the heyday, and see what new stuff might be able to be cooked up.

Why so negative?

I think they are good enough players and writers to create something really good here...without having to rely on Morrissey-related material. One in a set, like Irish Blood, Southpaw, Spent The Day, etc. - just for the old-school fans, would suffice. :)

I really wish them well! Bands with two good vocalists always have an advantage. And one of them happens to be a high achieving multi-instrumentalist. Good luck!!!

P.S. - I come up with good band names.

Comical. Rather hear the murder of my nan that any of these guys sing
waffle im sure your nan will be pleased with that statement.

sky im with you on this,never heard of any disruption with gustavo over the years.
dont quite get why M or alain cant just come out and say they parted on good terms or that their was a difference of opinion.
will we ever find out the finer details of capitol,i fear not.

Making the post look like something from MC is an obvious dig. Somewhat harmless, perhaps, but still a dig.

Tags
alain whyte
Back
Top Bottom