Alan Wilder (Depeche Mode - Recoil) desires Morrissey for a Recoil track

The Seeker of Good Songs

An article from the Quietus asking Wilder about his 13 favourite records, and how they shaped his work in post-Depeche Mode project Recoil

Alan Wilder's Recoil has, for 25 years, seen the former Depeche Mode man explore his love of experimental electronic music, and the potential of the collaboration. His selection for Baker’s Dozen, then, reflects this – and along the way gives some intriguing insight into his relationship with Depeche Mode. He chooses Talk Talk’s Spirit Of Eden, for example, citing the fact that he felt a parallel with Mark Hollis turning his back on pop stardom, and his departure from Depeche Mode at the height of their powers. He also chooses the works of Gorecki and Steve Reich alongside formative albums by Television and David Bowie. Wilder’s reasons for his choice of Morrissey's You Are The Quarry are also interesting – he's not a fan of Steven Patrick's music, but says he feels as a lyricist he'll only be regarded after he's gone. And, indeed, he’d love to get him onboard for a Recoil track. Also on Mr Wilder's turntable are Lou Reed, Massive Attack, Radiohead, PiL, Brian Eno and The Beatles - another group whose tension Wilder says were reflected in Depeche Mode. Recoil play the Mute Short Circuit Festival at the London Roundhouse this weekend, May 13th and 14th. For more information and tickets, please visit the Festival website. Click the image below to begin the Baker's Dozen countdown.

Television - Marquee Moon
Lou Reed - Berlin
PiL - Metal Box
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Steve Reich - Desert Music
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Radiohead - OK Computer
Massive Attack - Compilation

Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
Steven Morrissey is simply one of our most underrated writers or poets who, I believe, will only be fully recognised posthumously. Morrissey has quite a lot of detractors, even now. There's plenty of admirers out there, of course, but he's a love-to-hate character. He rubs people up the wrong way occasionally, and those things tend to overlook what he's most brilliant at, which is his words. I'm no expert on poetry and lyrics – it's not the first thing I normally come at a record from – but with him, there's something completely unique about the way he writes. He's very evocative, and I just love that, and I think he's got a good voice, too.

I wouldn't say his records are particularly that interesting musically; in a way, it's the odd one out of my collection. It's just a general rock band, and sometimes not particularly well produced and not all that inspiring. There's not a great depth of sound or unusual production techniques, but somehow he transcends all that because he's so unusual with his melodies and his words. I'd be very curious to hear what he would sound like with a more interesting musical background – not necessarily electronics, but something with more depth to it. There have been one or two tracks over the years like that, where I've thought 'It's great to hear a little more invention, using different strings or sounds or musicians'. I'd love to hear more of that him from him, because I think it would take his records to another level. Would I be tempted to ask him to work together? I think I'd be a bit scared, but I wouldn't say no.

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy
The Beatles - The White Album
Henryk Górecki - Symphony No. 3
Pink Floyd - Meddle

from: http://thequietus.com/articles/06219-alan-wilder-depeche-mode-favourite-records

Wasn't there an old rumour about Moz and Alan Wilder being caught kissing backstage on TOTP, during the Smiths days? Not sure how true it is, but interesting anyway!

"I wouldn't say his records are particularly that interesting musically; in a way, it's the odd one out of my collection. It's just a general rock band, and sometimes not particularly well produced and not all that inspiring. There's not a great depth of sound or unusual production techniques, but somehow he transcends all that because he's so unusual with his melodies and his words."

Here, here. Well said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, think that was Matthew Wilder as in "ain't nothing gonna break-a my stride" i.e. this fella http://www.weht.net/pics/mat1.jpg.
Here he is on the You Tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY41o-iZStI

I'm beginning to think Peter Sellers faked his death...
mat1.jpg
peter-sellers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom