Morrissey Central "AND WHEN YOU’RE DANCING AND LAUGHING AND FINALLY LIVING…" (March 29, 2024)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
yip saw them a few years ago and had a great night,the singer makes the effort to look like M the rest of the band not so much.it is what it is,a tribute band.
when did tribute acts become so expensive,my sisters went to see a george michael tribute in the concert hall in glasgow which is a good size,£35 and yet they went to see the alive and kicking george michael years ago at hampden park with 50,000 people,£50.
When an artist is dead, the tribute acts can charge a lot more. Same with Bowie or Elvis.
Sad but true.

yip saw them a few years ago and had a great night,the singer makes the effort to look like M the rest of the band not so much.it is what it is,a tribute band.
when did tribute acts become so expensive,my sisters went to see a george michael tribute in the concert hall in glasgow which is a good size,£35 and yet they went to see the alive and kicking george michael years ago at hampden park with 50,000 people,£50.
I saw a George Michael tribute act in Edinburgh a few years ago. Shite. Left halfway through.
Let’s go outside? Yes, let’s.

I hope not! I don't know why he's endorsing them as they're shite. They don't (look or) sound like him/The Smiths.

Some tour news would be great. Even if he's not touring this year. But that seems too organised for central.
Harsh, I first saw them over twenty years ago. I arrived a little late, and queuing for drinks I heard Hand in Glove: it was that good that I didn’t run into the venue—as I was convinced it was an actual Smiths recording playing on an intro tape.

I last saw them on the day The Queen died, if it wasn’t for the fuss they made about playing The Queen is Dead, the monarch’s passing would’ve escaped me.

Would rather kill myself than go and see any covers band, but always good to be reminded (whether by Morrissey himself, or SER, or DonnieNuts, or the dark forces of evil who control Central without Morrissey realising it) of my favourite lyric in all of popular music:

And when you're dancing and laughing
And finally living
Hear my voice in your head
And think of me kindly

Would rather kill myself than go and see any covers band, but always good to be reminded (whether by Morrissey himself, or SER, or DonnieNuts, or the dark forces of evil who control Central without Morrissey realising it) of my favourite lyric in all of popular music:

And when you're dancing and laughing
And finally living
Hear my voice in your head
And think of me kindly
Thanks, I hadn't got round to checking whether it was a lyric or not. As someone who is fairly new to the music I prefer to enjoy it rather than become an expert overnight, so some of the references to lyrics go over my head. Central seems to do it frequently. Maybe they could be a bit more inclusive!!!

I’m already dreading 2025.

Oh, why? I'm really looking forward to Big Event 2025, a prestigious science and technology conference, 'cos it will bring together brilliant minds and innovators from around the globe under one virtual roof. I think it'll be great.

I saw them in Belfast last night, the singer looked more like Jimmy Carr than Moz I thought - they're very good - Reel Around The Fountain, I Know It's Over, Stop Me and Hand in Glove were superb. These Charming Men, an Irish tribute group are far better in my opinion. Regardless, it was a fun night out and the bassist played a lovely candy apple red F precision which caught my eye. I was up the front for both sets; a girl told me at the end that I shouldn't be allowed out and she's not wrong.

Sweet and Tender Hooligans are the original and best. Saw them in LA last month at a small theater and the place was packed, everyone singing along and a terrific setlist. Morrissey can't be bothered to show up so what's wrong with hearing these great songs played accurately and with passion?

Oh, why? I'm really looking forward to Big Event 2025, a prestigious science and technology conference, 'cos it will bring together brilliant minds and innovators from around the globe under one virtual roof. I think it'll be great.
Sounds wonderful, but I anticipate King Charles popping his clogs will be a bigger event, which brings all manner of undesirables from around the globe together under one roof.

Idly checking the etymology of the word 'smith' turns up a few interesting oddments:

Middle English smith, from Old English smið "blacksmith, armorer, one who works in metal" (jewelers as well as blacksmiths), more broadly, "handicraftsman, practitioner of skilled manual arts" (also including carpenters), from Proto-Germanic *smithaz "skilled worker" (source also of Old Saxon smith, Old Norse smiðr, Danish smed, Old Frisian smith, Old High German smid, German Schmied, Gothic -smiþa, in aiza-smiþa "coppersmith"), from a suffixed form of PIE root *smi- "to cut, work with a sharp instrument" (source also of Greek smilē "knife for cutting and carving, chisel").

Attested as a surname by c. 975. Also used in a Middle English psalter of God, when he created light. Other common surnames meaning "smith" include Ferraro (Italian), Haddad (Arabic), Kovács (Hungarian, a Slavic loan-word), Kowalski (Polish), Herrero (Spanish), Kuznets (Russian), MacGowan (Irish, "son of the blacksmith").

- https://www.etymonline.com/word/smith

They would make rings, but not rubber ones...

I saw them in Belfast last night, the singer looked more like Jimmy Carr than Moz I thought - they're very good - Reel Around The Fountain, I Know It's Over, Stop Me and Hand in Glove were superb. These Charming Men, an Irish tribute group are far better in my opinion. Regardless, it was a fun night out and the bassist played a lovely candy apple red F precision which caught my eye. I was up the front for both sets; a girl told me at the end that I shouldn't be allowed out and she's not wrong.
have you seen the smiths indeed,they are very good,

They're a good night out. Been following them since the late noughties - whenever they come to me and my town.
I do find it slightly baffling that the last time I saw them I paid £20 and there were more people there than when I saw Morrissey in Vicar Street. And Graham (or Graeme) and the boys tried to have a minutes silence for Andy Rourke. I wasn't the only one to guffaw. Loudly.
Tribute bands are the past, present and future. Read it and weep bald boys

have you seen the smiths indeed,they are very good,
No Gordy, I'm familiar with the name but most of them don't make it to these shores, probably not economically viable. If you can't have a few pints and tears streaming down your face miming along to the songs that saved your life, then what's the point? Nobody left disappointed cos they didn't hear 'I am Moronica' lol

Last edited:
Well, yes, all right. The Smyths are great, and do what they they do with love and ardour, but any of 100s of gigs could have been chosen. This is yet another late night vodka trawl.

Come on man, get some help.
I’m intrigued mainly because I grew up in Hastings. It’s a bit of a backwater and neither the Smiths or Morrissey ever played there. The Smyths play lots of gigs each year. Why promote this one in particular?

Back
Top Bottom