Another reunion rumour

Can I start the rumour that I overheard a bloke in the pub who says he knows Johnny Marr and that he's planning something very special for Morrissey's 50th birthday...

Just a rumour...but I have my tickets...just in case :)

Now THAT, I could actually see. For perhaps one song, the encore, at Moz's birthday gig. Boz and Jesse scram and out comes Johnny. It doesn't seem too far-fetched, at least to me :D

Now THAT, I could actually see. For perhaps one song, the encore, at Moz's birthday gig. Boz and Jesse scram and out comes Johnny. It doesn't seem too far-fetched, at least to me :D

i've been thinking about that possibilty too...maybe i'm getting wistful in my old age. I'm sure those at the front (hopefully me included :p) would be crushed to death more so that usual were Marr to come onstage though.

OK that's enough Moz-Marr reunion dreaming for now.

Funny you should say that. I'd heard the same rumour. I actually asked Johnny the very same question. And you know what? I'm not telling you what he said.

Peter

Funny you should say that. I'd heard the same rumour. I actually asked Johnny the very same question. And you know what? I'm not telling you what he said.

Peter

Hey c'mon Unk, you've got to tell...

I have a bet on that they won't appear together until 2010 (based on something I was told by a very reliable bloke down the wine bar in Bowdon).

There might just be time to cancel the bet if you spill the beans, and save myself a hefty price.

Awaiting your full and frank beanspill...

Hey c'mon Unk, you've got to tell...

I have a bet on that they won't appear together until 2010 (based on something I was told by a very reliable bloke down the wine bar in Bowdon).

There might just be time to cancel the bet if you spill the beans, and save myself a hefty price.

Awaiting your full and frank beanspill...

My beanspill is as follows: I asked him, and...he wouldn't say. Well, he didn't say no. Then again he didn't say yes. Very poor response I know, but the mystery could have lingered. Pffft. Hope is all we have. Hope and next week's lottery numbers.

Peter

Last edited:
My beanspill is as follows: I asked him, and...he wouldn't say. Well, he didn't say no. Then again he didn't say yes. Very poor response I know, but the mystery could have lingered. Pffft. Hope is all we have. Hope and next week's lottery numbers.

Peter

You have next week's lottery numbers?!!

You have next week's lottery numbers?!!

Perm 6 from 49. I have 6 numbers. Didn't say they were winners. I did say that all we have is hope. One of my favourite bands, Drive, from the Wirral, had a song named Kill For Love. The lyrics go "...when the money's gone - kill for love, always kill for love". As I said, when everything else has gone, we have Love and Hope. And the ones you love.

Can you tell I've been raiding the garage's booze vault?

Peter

Perm 6 from 49. I have 6 numbers. Didn't say they were winners. I did say that all we have is hope. One of my favourite bands, Drive, from the Wirral, had a song named Kill For Love. The lyrics go "...when the money's gone - kill for love, always kill for love". As I said, when everything else has gone, we have Love and Hope. And the ones you love.

Can you tell I've been raiding the garage's booze vault?

Peter

You lucky duck. I'm not allowed to drink as I am 'with child.'
p.s. I think someone we both know is sending or has sent you a present in the mail.

You lucky duck. I'm not allowed to drink as I am 'with child.'
p.s. I think someone we both know is sending or has sent you a present in the mail.

You know Steve Andrews?!? I'm meeting him tomorrow. He could give it to me.

Best New Year Wishes to you, the one inside, and the one we all admire.

Love,

Peter

Johnny coming on stage to play a couple of songs (maybe an encore) with Morrissey and leading the crowd in singing Happy Birthday would be a legendary gesture (on both their parts). Release it as a special double A-side and be done with it!

A Smiths reunion that includes Mike Joyce will never happen, not with Morrissey still writing songs like Mama...

Can I start the rumour that I overheard a bloke in the pub who says he knows Johnny Marr and that he's planning something very special for Morrissey's 50th birthday...

Just a rumour...but I have my tickets...just in case :)

My boyfriend heard this rumour mentioned on Xfm. I also have my tickets just in case :D and I've warned the friends I'm going with that if this happens, I will do my best to maintain some decorum but could potentially turn into someone they no longer recognise :o ;)

Having said that I'm not gonna get my hopes up, just glad I'm going to his 50th birthday party whatever it may bring :cool:

Obviously, as Helen has said above, the rumours are all baseless, but one variant doesn't want to go away, as in today's Independent, and I quote...

"Nor, indeed, that last year's trend for vintage band get-togethers will gather momentum through 2009, with rumoured rapprochements for high-profile acts like Blur and The Smiths (or Morrissey & Marr, at least)..."

Peter

i have said it before and i will say it again , i really hope this never goes ahead .

There is no real gain for morrissey , he may be offered alot of money but he must be making a few quid touring the way he is at the moment. I really cant see Johnny Wanting to go back and do it , as for mike and andy if they arent there it wont be the smiths.

i cant think of any bands who have reformed and made it better or justified starting again , its all about money not doing it for the fans.

I never saw the smiths but wouldnt want to see some pantomime mock up playing the o2 arena :mad:

The amount of speculation on this is far greater now than at any previous point. Even on a BBC News 24 preview of 2009 this was the lead story. It makes me wonder whether there can be smoke without fire.

But should this have any grain of truth in it, where would Morrissey fit it in? He's already got one heavy schedule this year.

Incidentally, I’m firmly in the DON’T DO IT camp, despite being far too young to have ever seen The Smiths.

All these rumours are just journalists needing to fill column inches (and probably with the last lot of rumours Warner's PR dept looking to sell The Sound of the Smiths). If it were happening the last people to know about it would be journalists. Just because they are in the media, it doesn't mean they have any more knowledge than fans, they probably have even less in most cases. Most of the time they get their information from searching fansites anyway.

All these rumours are just journalists needing to fill column inches (and probably with the last lot of rumours Warner's PR dept looking to sell The Sound of the Smiths). If it were happening the last people to know about it would be journalists. Just because they are in the media, it doesn't mean they have any more knowledge than fans, they probably have even less in most cases. Most of the time they get their information from searching fansites anyway.

Good point Danny. And if there were truth in these rumours, wouldn't Warners have delayed the Sound of the Smiths to coincide with it?

Well said. The rumour that Marr was joining Moz at his 45th birthday bash at the MEN in Manchester 2004 sold a few tickets.
At this time of year newspapers are desperate to fill space. This is why we have all the reality shows at the moment, they are guaranteed extra coverage in the media. Journalists are all searching for stories, it's so easy to join a bandwaggon such as Smiths reforming, so by adding to the number of stories they are also creating a false impression that something is happening.
Do you think that any of these people have actually spoken to Moz or Marr? Not a chance.

If they do work together again it won't be a walk-on bit-part at a gig with Boz pretending to be happy behind the curtain.

Well said. The rumour that Marr was joining Moz at his 45th birthday bash at the MEN in Manchester 2004 sold a few tickets.
At this time of year newspapers are desperate to fill space. This is why we have all the reality shows at the moment, they are guaranteed extra coverage in the media. Journalists are all searching for stories, it's so easy to join a bandwaggon such as Smiths reforming, so by adding to the number of stories they are also creating a false impression that something is happening.
Do you think that any of these people have actually spoken to Moz or Marr? Not a chance.

If they do work together again it won't be a walk-on bit-part at a gig with Boz pretending to be happy behind the curtain.

I know it's the inches that matter (fnuk, fnuk), and I'm only the messenger. I wouldn't have even bought the Indy, it was all they had at the Co-op. I have an inbuilt Smiths/Moz radar for news stories.

Anyhoo, grist to the mill, and all that.

Peter

There is no real gain for morrissey , he may be offered alot of money but he must be making a few quid touring the way he is at the moment.

The real gain would be like $75 million according to the reports last year. I doubt Morrissey makes half of that on tour now.

I doubt he'd do it for the money but you never know!

The real gain would be like $75 million according to the reports last year. I doubt Morrissey makes half of that on tour now.

I doubt he'd do it for the money but you never know!

your right , its the money and he doesnt make that now . but he doesnt have to split it 4 ways right now , he makes his money and pays the staff their cut .. i just cant see a real gain for him now , whats he going to sell out some mega venue ? isnt that what hes doing now

dannys right media inches only does one thing right now ... sell the sound of the smiths

Back
Top Bottom