Morrissey Central "ANOTHER WORLD." (March 5, 2024)

the charts were much more diverse in those days,you had sam fox,michael ball,def leppard and M on the same programme.
good to see two very good scottish bands in texas and hue & cry.
wonder if def leppards singer joe elliots dislike of M started around about this time,he never understood all the fuss about the lyrics or music of manchesters finest.

Def Leppard killed Rock.
phranc 99% of the time i would agree with you but around 89 i was working in what would now be known as a fitness centre/gym and a guy i worked with used to play their album hysteria and it grew on me the more i heard it,they are soft rock rather than heavy rock.

Morrissey's narcissism knows no end. It really doesn't help him much to be posting videos when he was much better looking and had a much better band. Look at me! Look at me! And, more importantly, when he actually had a career and half the world didn't think he was an asshole.
Half the world has always thought Morrissey was an asshole.

Half the world has always thought Morrissey was an asshole.
I remember people thinking he was depressing because they don't get his humor. I also remember musicians I know, who were once popular but are not now saying he wasn't that great, but I think that was just jealousy. It's funny, because a story in Autobio was told to me by the person who is in the story and Morrissey's story is quite different, I believe his. Another person who claims to not like his music.

Come to think of it, I think a lot of musicians are really jealous of the Smiths, another one, a guitar player, told me Johnny does not really play his guitar. I said, yes he does, I saw him live. Do you mean he has a backing track? Because I don't think he does. And he said, no he doesn't play at all ..... :rolleyes: which is ridiculous.

Morrissey's narcissism knows no end. It really doesn't help him much to be posting videos when he was much better looking and had a much better band. Look at me! Look at me! And, more importantly, when he actually had a career and half the world didn't think he was an asshole.

Speaking of narcissism, appropriately enough, this thread was the first suggested for me below this one:

I'm guessing this is just another "those were the days" post. He should really read the book I'm reading that is published later this year about nostalgia and how it affects us. He's certainly one of the most nostalgia-driven people and has never been shy about that. Quite an intriguing topic. How much can you ever move forward if you are constantly looking back?!
What book is this? Sounds right up my street.

phranc 99% of the time i would agree with you but around 89 i was working in what would now be known as a fitness centre/gym and a guy i worked with used to play their album hysteria and it grew on me the more i heard it,they are soft rock rather than heavy rock.
As always, I want to be very honest with you. My uncle, who I spent most of my youth with, only listened to NWOBHM or, unfortunately, us sleaze rock. I like Saxon, Judas Priest, Motörhead, Demon or Tank, but with "Hysteria" Def Leppard synthesised 80s (soft)rock in a terrible way. I mean, High n dry was something completely different. Pyromnia too. But I'd rather listen to Quireboys, Dogs D'amour or even Poison, who also appear in the video.

I'm guessing this is just another "those were the days" post. He should really read the book I'm reading that is published later this year about nostalgia and how it affects us. He's certainly one of the most nostalgia-driven people and has never been shy about that. Quite an intriguing topic. How much can you ever move forward if you are constantly looking back?!
It is rather interesting.

It's called Nostalgia: A History of a Dangerous Emotion.

Synopsis:
In Nostalgia: A History of a Dangerous Emotion, Agnes Arnold-Forster blends neuroscience and psychology with the history of medicine and emotions to explore the evolution of nostalgia from its first identification in seventeenth-century Switzerland (when it was held to be an illness that could, quite literally, kill you) to the present day (when it is co-opted by advertising agencies and politicians alike to sell us goods and policies).

Nostalgia is a social and political emotion, vulnerable to misuse, and one that reflects the anxieties of the age. It is one of the many ways we communicate a desire for the past, dissatisfaction with the present and our visions for the future. Arnold-Forster’s fascinating history of this complex, slippery emotion is a lens through which to consider the changing pace of society, our collective feelings of regret, dislocation and belonging, the conditions of modern and contemporary work, and the politics of fear and anxiety. It is also a clear-eyed analysis of what we are doing now, how we feel about it and what we might want to change about the world we live in.

Yep, interesting. @goinghome posted this other interesting book, and here to add balance, or to simply say, it’s not all doom and gloom …

A leading psychological researcher shares compelling science and valuable practices for mindfully using nostalgia to live a more grounded, connected, and purposeful life.

‘When an old song makes you want to dance like you did in high school, or you long for the comforting taste of your mom’s cooking, that’s more than just memory—it’s nostalgia. But is nostalgia all about “living in the past” to hide from reality? In Past Forward, psychologist Clay Routledge presents a fascinating investigation into an emotion we all experience yet often misunderstand, revealing nostalgia’s extraordinary potential to enrich our present—and our future.

Dr. Routledge has been at the forefront of a new wave of research that has established a fresh, evidence-based view of nostalgia—not as a psychological weakness, but as a complex and valuable resource for our well-being. Here he presents a treasury of informed insights and science-based practices to help you turn nostalgia into a powerful ally, including:

• Understanding nostalgia—what this feeling is and why it’s necessary for a healthy psyche

• Enhancing your sense of self—how nostalgia can help you build confidence and self-esteem

• Deepening connection—the possibilities and pitfalls of nostalgia as a foundation for personal and group relationships

• Coping with stress—invoking the past to face present-day anxieties with clarity and resilience

• Finding purpose—how nostalgic reflection can reveal your most enduring values

• Moving into the future—excavating the past as a source for innovation, creativity, and hope
If we approach nostalgia with awareness and discernment, we can use our cherished memories to help look outside of ourselves, connect with others, and weave a meaningful life story that supports us through difficult times. As Dr. Routledge puts it, “By engaging in nostalgia, we are not moving toward the past. We are bringing the past forward to the present to help us build a more fulfilling future.”

And where would we be if Morrissey didn’t use nostalgia and it’s healthy benefits for not only himself, but for all of us, through looking back and being positively creative?

Keep looking back, Mozi, in anger or in love

Yep, interesting. @goinghome posted this other interesting book, and here to add balance, or to simply say, it’s not all doom and gloom …

A leading psychological researcher shares compelling science and valuable practices for mindfully using nostalgia to live a more grounded, connected, and purposeful life.

‘When an old song makes you want to dance like you did in high school, or you long for the comforting taste of your mom’s cooking, that’s more than just memory—it’s nostalgia. But is nostalgia all about “living in the past” to hide from reality? In Past Forward, psychologist Clay Routledge presents a fascinating investigation into an emotion we all experience yet often misunderstand, revealing nostalgia’s extraordinary potential to enrich our present—and our future.

Dr. Routledge has been at the forefront of a new wave of research that has established a fresh, evidence-based view of nostalgia—not as a psychological weakness, but as a complex and valuable resource for our well-being. Here he presents a treasury of informed insights and science-based practices to help you turn nostalgia into a powerful ally, including:

• Understanding nostalgia—what this feeling is and why it’s necessary for a healthy psyche

• Enhancing your sense of self—how nostalgia can help you build confidence and self-esteem

• Deepening connection—the possibilities and pitfalls of nostalgia as a foundation for personal and group relationships

• Coping with stress—invoking the past to face present-day anxieties with clarity and resilience

• Finding purpose—how nostalgic reflection can reveal your most enduring values

• Moving into the future—excavating the past as a source for innovation, creativity, and hope
If we approach nostalgia with awareness and discernment, we can use our cherished memories to help look outside of ourselves, connect with others, and weave a meaningful life story that supports us through difficult times. As Dr. Routledge puts it, “By engaging in nostalgia, we are not moving toward the past. We are bringing the past forward to the present to help us build a more fulfilling future.”

And where would we be if Morrissey didn’t use nostalgia and it’s healthy benefits for not only himself, but for all of us, through looking back and being positively creative?

Keep looking back, Mozi, in anger or in love …

yeah there is definitely something in nostalgia,people look back on earlier and different times pre internet,everything was much slower paced,now everyone is in a hurry,im collecting 70s toys,i probably had most of them as a child but its great to have these things again although some of the prices are through the roof.

Some Moz vibes from Mark there, even so the song hasn't aged that good. No offense to Gene Pitney.
And Sam, you were the one.
Also: had completely forgotten, that JAZZ had another single in the charts but boy, it's been 35 years. For you and me now.

Last edited:
As most, including Morrissey, seem in the mood: this is surely the best song ever, on the subject of nostalgia

"A History of a Dangerous Emotion."

I'm not sure what sense 'dangerous' has here, whether there are invisible scare quotes around it or not, but it seems to me that if there's one thing that's dangerous it's medicalising emotions. (One suspects that there are political motivations when such medicalising takes place.)

Szasz might have gone a little far in saying there's no such thing as mental illness, but he surely had a point in citing such 'illnesses' as drapetomania as bogus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapetomania

The problem with nostalgia is that people let their past define who they are. The past is not you, nor are your extrapolations into the future. All you ever have is now. Then was now, and the future will also be now.

It is just the ego that feeds off past and future for its conceptual sense of self; the ego finds it almost impossible to embrace the present moment. It is always searching for something else - something better, or something that was better.

Happy days, was renting my mates box bedroom watching this on my little white portable tv, tiny room but managed to cover every inch with Moz ans Smiths posters. Every Top of The Pops appearance was a big deal, sat there watching mostly shit and then he's on, sticking two fingers up cos he's the highest new entry at 6. Thats what was great about TOTP, great stuff and not so great but everybody watched it.
Yes its nostalgic but as long as you're aware that it was just as shit as everything is now, its harmless.

Back
Top Bottom