Any Opinions On Morrissey's Most Recent "Truly Great" Song?

Good thread topic. I suppose , for now , I'd say ...

Good-Looking man About Town
My Dearest Love
Dear God Please help Me

...& perhaps "Art-Hounds" if a studio version is ever made which retains that deranged acceleration ( both musically and vocally) of the lone live airing. I not at all bothered by the "... Aunt Mabel..." line. It's only a quick couple of phrases in a five minute song ; it also feels very Alan Bennett-ish ...

Similarly , the "...explosive kegs..." remark in DGPHM went nowhere near to interrupting my pleasure . Indeed , it's like a little wink from Moz as the song begins , letting us know that the ... umm ... naked beseeching to follow isn't going to topple over into earnestness.

Last edited:
I absolutely love a lot of the songs from Swords, so I'd say If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me, Ganglord, My Dearest Love, The Never-Played Symphonies, It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small, Friday Mourning... couldn't choose between them, all 'truly great' songs in my view.

Come Back to Camden
Friday Mourning
Life is a Pigsty
Christian Dior
Teenage Dad on His Estate

I miss 90s Morrissey. The 2000s Moz has been catchy as all-hell, but lyrically boring. However, my list includes songs which I think align with vintage Moz, if you will.

I don't know what is meant by 'recent' but If you're including the last album I listened to it a lot and didn't skip songs. I've since lost the files and not bothered to grab them from my cd again but I think it's a good record. But since then there have been some interesting b-sides.

It looks like he hasn't released anything since 2009? If that is correct then I have no opinion on the new songs. I listened to part of Scandanavia. Someone here wrote a great review of it and they loved it so I think I just don't get it because I just don't get it. I stopped when he sang that line about how he wanted the nation dead until he fell in love. That seemed like a good opera premise, but as Neil Young once put it, "You were born to rock, you'll never be an opera star."

But people like it so I accept that I am missing something. I'm not going to go see him and Kristeen, though. As much as it costs, and given the irritation factor and the fact that I haven't even listened to all four songs because I stopped on the second one, I am going to spend the money on a pawnshop amplifier I saw.

Since 2004 : How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? , Let Me Kiss You , I Like You , Life Is a Pigsty , The Youngest was the most loved.

"Art-hounds" comes close for me, too. I wish that had been performed during the "Studio in Session" episode.
And regarding the "Fat Aunt Mabel" line, I think that could be a nod/reference to "Do the Strand" by Roxy Music, which contains the following lines:
Do the strand
Do it on the tables
Quaglino´s place or mabel´s

I just wanted to add that, according to a list that Morrissey put out in 2010, "Do the Strand" was ranked as one of his favorite singles of all time.
http://www.clashmusic.com/news/morrissey-reveals-13-favourite-singles

I'm even more convinced now, after reading that list, that it was, at least in part, the inspiration for the "Fat Aunt Mabel" line.
I know that Morrissey has since disowned Bryan Ferry due to his preference for hunting, but "Art-hounds" was surely written before all that went down.

Last edited:
I also wanted add my vote for
"Friday Mourning"
&
"Good Looking Man About Town"

Both truly great songs in my book.

I can't believe I overlooked them in my first posting. :squiffy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom