Any Opinions On Morrissey's Most Recent "Truly Great" Song?

I think Years of Refusal is a cracking album but it hasn't got anything truly great on it imo. The sum is much greater than its parts.

Last truly great song? Probably First of the gang to die. I've heard it too many times to listen to it now but it was probably his last song that had mass appeal so could claim to be truly great.

I always thought that First of The Gang To Die was massively overrated. It is good, but in terms of the other Quarry songs like I Have Forgiven Jesus, You Know I Couldn't Last and I Like You, it isn't as great as it was made out to be.

Think some people are getting confused with a good song to a truly great song.

You have Killed me
Life is a Pigsty

Think some people are getting confused with a good song to a truly great song.

You have Killed me
Life is a Pigsty

Not really, it's just opinions, such as, I don't think either of those are great songs but most think Pigsty is the best thing since sliced bread. That whole album is my least favourite.

I always thought that First of The Gang To Die was massively overrated. It is good, but in terms of the other Quarry songs like I Have Forgiven Jesus, You Know I Couldn't Last and I Like You, it isn't as great as it was made out to be.

Agree re I Have Forgiven Jesus which I like most from that album, not the others though. I don't think anything off the last couple of albums touches the likes of that, Suedehead, Everyday is Like Sunday, Jack the Ripper, Last of the Famous International Playboys, Trouble Loves Me, etc. Proper great songs not just good ones.

Agree re I Have Forgiven Jesus which I like most from that album, not the others though. I don't think anything off the last couple of albums touches the likes of that, Suedehead, Everyday is Like Sunday, Jack the Ripper, Last of the Famous International Playboys, Trouble Loves Me, etc. Proper great songs not just good ones.

I'm not so sure. I think lyrically that that is probably true as Morrissey's lyrics aren't as strong as they used to, but in terms of performance I would say that the likes of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, Mama Lay Softly On The River Bed, Pigsty and I Have Forgiven Jesus are as great and I return to them as much as I return to the Suedehead and Everday, ect.

Though maybe not topical the moment he releases them, all of his songs are technically great. :o

Good question! Although I like both of his last two albums, I'm afraid that I just don't think there are many "truly great" songs on either of them. Reading the replies in this thread so far, I can't help but feel that some of the others here are maybe throwing such an accolade around too easily. When I think of "truly great" Morrissey songs, I think of Everyday is Like Sunday, How Soon is Now? and the like. Sure, there are a few cracking songs on the latest albums, but how many are really "truly great"?

In my opinion, the only "truly great" song from the last two albums is Life is a Pigsty. For me personally, it's the only Morrissey song post-Quarry that I've felt such a strong affinity and I would listen to in the way that I used to listen to some of the classics.

'My Dearest Love' is by far, the strongest, most emotionally affecting song that Morrissey has written in some time but it is only as powerful as it is because of Alain's music. It has a brooding, dangerous feel to it whilst also being quite tragic in tone and the piano and organ combo reminds me of a great, lost film from the 70's; something which has a tragic, tough guy at the centre. It makes me long for the a OST produced by Alain and with a centrepiece song by Morrissey. In my opinion this was his last great song. He's got many others - and this thread has mentioned them all - but he's yet to top this in my book. The longing in his voice is almost unbearable.

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. Movingly beautiful musically and has caused no end of confusion lyrically every single listen.

Thinking back & I'm thinking of songs like My Dearest Love, Ganglord, All You Need Is Me (yes really) and at least a dozen more but the one song that sticks in my mind the most, even though it's 8 years & three albums ago, his most recent 'truly great' song?

My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye.

Thinking back & I'm thinking of songs like My Dearest Love, Ganglord, All You Need Is Me (yes really) and at least a dozen more but the one song that sticks in my mind the most, even though it's 8 years & three albums ago, his most recent 'truly great' song?

My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye.

Soooo good. With the harp? Gahhhh.

Well, if Quarry and Tormentors count as well:

The Never-Played Symphonies
Friday Mourning
The Public Image
Life Is A Pigsty
My Dearest Love
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore

Irish Blood, English Heart
First of the Gang To Die
Come Back To Camden
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Life Is A Pigsty
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
When Last I Spoke To Carol
It's Not You Birthday Anymore

And both Art-Hounds and Scandinavia have potential...

In order of my preference:
"Come Back to Camden"
"My Dearest Love"
"It's Not Your Birthday Anymore"

if YATQ counts I'd add 'Let me Kiss You' to the list.
I agree 'Life is a pigsty' and 'Come back to Camden' are great.

And...almost Art-hounds, in fact maybe more than any of the above, but the 'Aunt Mabel/restaurant' part ruins it.

"Art-hounds" comes close for me, too. I wish that had been performed during the "Studio in Session" episode.
And regarding the "Fat Aunt Mabel" line, I think that could be a nod/reference to "Do the Strand" by Roxy Music, which contains the following lines:

Do the strand
Do it on the tables
Quaglino´s place or mabel´s

"Art-hounds" comes close for me, too. I wish that had been performed during the "Studio in Session" episode.
And regarding the "Fat Aunt Mabel" line, I think that could be a nod/reference to "Do the Strand" by Roxy Music, which contains the following lines:

Interesting...

Back
Top Bottom